NEWS

[5e IC] Circles of Power [2076 Game Thread]

• 1361 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #510 on: <07-16-15/0503:33> »
Isaint nodded at the Frenchman's reply: "Sure thing. Talk is almost always preferable to bullets. A bear just makes it smoother"

When the intruder appeared, Isaint decided - for once - to keep his mouth shut. He really, really didn't like with witch ease that guy had found their hideout. That just confirmed to him that they had to move out of here sooner than later.
But he also understood about obligations - and Snow Crash's seemed to have caught up to him.
Quickly he sent the albino a private message:
<<Hate to see you go. If you need help getting out, give me a call>>

talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #511 on: <07-16-15/0754:54> »
[Thursday June 18th, 2076, ~02:17, Al’s Safehouse, Docklands, London]

The albino orc grumbles but starts moving towards Isaint's car to retrieve his kit "Should have known this would come back to bite me in the ass, just hoped the bite would come much, much later."

The human smiles slightly, the first hint of expression you've seen from him. "Indeed, as had we. But events here and elsewhere mean we must act now, and more obviously than we would prefer." he pauses a moment to nod to the rest of the team "But in the end, we must make do with the situation we are presented with. Shadowrunners, I shall take my leave, and although you may not believe it I do wish you luck. Snow Crash's replacement should be with you presently... from what I have been told, he won't be hard to miss."

The albino orc nods slightly to Isaint, a quick message flicking back just before he goes wifi dark for the first time since you met him. <<Cheers omae, seems I'm about to go for a tour in the deep shadows. When i see daylight again we'll catch up about how our respective dreck went down... barring identifying information naturally>> With that the two leave the safehouse, the blacked out car driving away smoothly.

[Thursday June 18th, 2076, ~02:20, Al’s Safehouse, Docklands, London]

Man, who the frag calls someone out of the blue at 2AM in the morning and dumps enough cash in their lap to join in on a run already underway?

Nitro shakes his head as he turns into the side street along the river. Still, not the only weird dreck to go on this morning, the frag was up with that chopper crash, all over the Matrix one minute then narry a whisper about it the next... waaaitamiute he breaks into a grin, rightly or wrongly putting two and two together as he pulls up to the safehouse, quickly punching in the comcode he was given.

Nitro to Al "Allo there chummer, name's Nitro, I hear tell you lot are in need of a driver. Ya mind opening up afore some damned yokel gets too curious about what a sweet set of wheels like this is doin' out at this dive at this pissant hour in the mornin?"

Once a garage doors opens he rolls the BMW 400GT into one of the bays. The sports sedan looking well maintained and looked after, clearly more than just a way to get from A to B. There's no sound as the high-performance electric moters power down, the door opening to let the driver of the car out. Several things immediately stand out about this young human as he glides out of the car. First he moves with a preternatural smoothness usually associated with those who've undergone cybernetic enhancement, his eyes and ears are both obvious cybernetic replacements, the later for a moment looking like they'd been done in an elvish style until you get a better look and see they've simply been styled that way to create a solid anchor for the antenna rising from the top of each. His feet his the ground with a solid thud of metal on concrete, again obvious cybernetic jobs, but there's no telltales of his legs being replaced. He's wearing expensive high fashion armor, the latest model of Vashon Island's Sleeping Tiger range, while some runners like the chromatically adjustable armor for it's stealth abilities, it's obvious he isn't one of them, the glowing neon patterns are a perfect match to his hair which has been replaced with about 40cm of glowing fibre-optics.

Nito takes a moment to look around, noticing everyone else is on edge. "Well now aint this a fan-fucking-tastic hour of the mornin' to be getting antiquated, eh? I get a call about 20 minutes ago from some joker by the name of Torrent, never worked with the guy mesself but word on the grapevine is he's on the solid, says he's sorry to be waking me up at this hour but he's got a class A double prime rush emergency job for me. Says he's got a run going down with a crew in urgent need of a wheelman and that he'd been given my number. Now affore I can be asking who gave him my number he shows me a set of numbers that wakes me up faster than a speedball of Jazz and Java." The rush of words finally stops for a moment as the glowing haired technophile grins and draws a breath "So a quick piss, a change into me gear and a short drive later here I am. Call me Nitro, ya need to get from A-B quicker than a scalded cat? I'm your guy. If not I ken at least offer some fire support at close range, or if ye don't mind wakin' up half the neighberhood can call in some air support that'll get most anyone duckin' fer cover. Ohh and would I be right in gessin that you chummers have a little somthin-somthin ta do with that whirly bird goin down in Soho that nobody wants to talk much about all of a sudden?"

[spoiler]Total post count: 50[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <07-16-15/0758:55> by ScytheKnight »
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

adamu

« Reply #512 on: <07-16-15/0847:15> »
[Thursday June 18th, 2076, ~02:20, Al’s Not-So-Safehouse, Docklands, London]

It stuck in Al's craw to see Snow go. After that thing in Seattle, he counted the ork a friend, habit or no. He wasn't exactly pleased to have some know-it-all corp schmuck let himself into his castle, either.

But at the end of the day, it was clear Snow went of his own accord. No question there were a half-dozen gunslingers ready to have his back if he'd hinted he wanted that. So there it was.

This was, what, his sixth shadowrun? Which meant maybe his third since realizing that the whole weird scene was actually real, and not just something on the trid, an urban myth, maybe perpetuated by some demented subculture of self-deluded wannabe copycats. Shit, was he actually in this business now? He'd have to give the whole thing some careful thought, because it didn't exactly seem like it was going to get any less crazy anytime soon.

But none of that was here or there. All that mattered now was that he had this family to get safe.

He shot a text to Torrent: <<Hippy here with a slick ride says you sent him. Please confirm.>>

And he went back into the guest room.

There was a serious conversation to be had with the good Doctor Pelletiere.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #513 on: <07-16-15/0854:03> »
"Yes, Art is incompetent for not checking the safehouses, but I'm still going to see him one time, and that's to get my money no matter how I have to convince him. Besides we're sort of stuck in this now." When Solo mentioned the incoming van she cursed and started preparing the chants to begin casting spell as she crouched by the same window as him. "Never a dull moment. What's next, Toxic or Bugs?"

"Care to make a little wager, Hallucination?" Solo takes very good aim with his assault rifle, he is ready to use full automatic fire but as Snow leaves peacefully he thinks it is unnecessary, he sort of liked the albino orc, but he is no saint. It is just business  and he is definitely involved with the wrong kind of guys.

M liked nitro from the first moment she saw him... loud extravagant and dangerous. Solo sort of tried to appear as grey as possible. Being a mage and a decker you sort of have to make yourself a little boring otherwise you tend to visit the hospital often. He seemed to know a little bit about driving... a good opportunity to watch a professional maybe I learn a little bit. All the cool mundanes were getting these awsome implants... Solo also wanted to do so, I wish I had a control rig he thought that way I could really feel the excitement of driving.

He whispers to Hallucination... "That driver guy seems awfully rich."

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #514 on: <07-16-15/0857:57> »
[Thursday June 18th, 2076, ~01:56, Al’s Machine Shop, Docklands, London]

As the adrenaline and shock of the last few hours begin to subside in the apparent safety of their new surroundings the family slowly unpeel themselves from their protective huddle and take in the runners who have saved them.  Doctor Pelletiere is still firmly grasping Rachel’s hand but otherwise seems calm and collected.  Rachel on the other hand is clearly not and without the resilience of teenage thrillseeking or professional detachment looks on the verge of collapsing in to tears.  Will is clearly awed and envious of the runners whilst Natasha oscillates between embarrassment at her continued state of relative undress and flirtatious looks at the more attractive males.  She does reserve a special attention for the foul mouthed Al, one that can’t easily be determined as respect or loathing…

The Career Expander account reveals more about the Doctor’s work in pattern recognition, specifically epidemiology and most recently, work, exactly as Al feared, into the spread of Cognitive Fragmentation Disorder, or Sybil!  The usual suspects have visited his profile, NeoNet, Evo and SK being the primaries.  Perhaps more interesting though are the two government visitors, one from MI5 and the other from their counterparts in Tir na nOg…

Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #515 on: <07-16-15/0907:40> »
[Tobbis -Thursday June 18th, 2076 - Al's Place - Current condition 7 Stun damage -
"Even if they were about to take out his van, that was more gear than their skill.." At the mention of the new guy, he takes out his tiny little pistol, slips on his mask, and moves into cover. However once things seem to go peacefully, he relaxes a bit. "Alright I'm going into VR for the next five hours to work on a script." And so he went to go work on his sprites.

[spoiler]36 posts worth add to sheet - 40th Post
So far Solo and Hal have cameras 8/10 cameras left in my possession.
Hal has a Datatap of mine
Switching on Pain Editor
Re-register Data Sprite - edged: 15d6h5! 8
Datasprite resisting registering: 10d6t5 5
Resisting 10 fade: 13d6t5 3
took 7 stun damage.

[/spoiler]
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #516 on: <07-16-15/0919:30> »
Isaint sighed. British understatement seemed well and truly to be a thing of the past. But at least the ride seemed decent.
"Al, maybe you should invest in a revolving door for this place. Seems like fucking everybody and their mother is coming here tonight."

To the new arrival he said:
"Yeah, yeah. A warm welcome to you and all that. There was a problem in Soho with people who bring a heli to a gun fight.
I hope your ride is armored well or that you aren't to enamored to it, because our score so far tells a scary story about the survival rate of our cars."
talk think matrix

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #517 on: <07-16-15/0939:51> »
Solo is quickly intrigued by the new Nitro fella... He adds: "and drones... I lost 3-roto drones already. I am trying to learn how to pilot them but this gig is very unforgiving for newbie mistakes." He offers him a cold beer and ask "'Do you drink?"

saithor

• Omae
« Reply #518 on: <07-16-15/1627:25> »
"Probably corp of some kind. Although it seems everybody is these days." Hallucination said. When the newcomer Nitro arrived she didn't have a good opinion of him formed, besides him being very loud and obnoxious. Dangerous combination, if his skills weren't as good as he said. The Raven as always was curious about the secrets he might have. Hearing Isaint's comment to Nitro she said "Heli, mage, and a lot of snipers. They had our supposed safehouse covered in exploisives. So I hope you were very good at making sure you weren't traced. Torrent's a professional, but the Johnson has proved himself to be very incompetent." Hallucination said. She hadn't been joking about visiting Art earlier. If anything it would be relieving to find him and rip his secrets out of his head. Be a lot more direct and refreshing compared to how Johnson's usually operated. The Raven agreed, but of course it would. It loved secrets, and tricks of the darker nature.
Dialogue
Comn
Astral
Thoughts
What's your favorite scary movie?

adamu

« Reply #519 on: <07-16-15/1657:44> »
[Thursday June 18th, 2076, ~02:25, Al’s Machine Shop, Docklands, London]

Al had walked back into the guest room, leaned against the wall and allowed his booted feet to slide out from under him until his butt met the floor. By the time he was seated there was a fresh cigarette lit in his mouth, though his hands had apparently never stopped fiddling with his comm.

He glanced across the room at the huddled family. The boy couldn't decide whether to sit up straight or slouch nonchalantly, and ended up just looking awkward. The girl, barely covered, assumed a more modest pose on his entry, but made a bit too much a of a show of doing so. The wife tried to stop crying in front of him, but then would just start up again. The husband looked at Al, waiting for the questions to start.

Well, he could wait for a few minutes.

Every time Al thought of a question, it made him want to look at just one more thing in the doc's career app, and he took the time to do so. During that process, Spike nosed the door open and found his way onto the floor next to his master, and an encrypted text came in from Torrent certifying the new guy.

Finally satisfied he'd seen what he could on his screen, Al let out a low whistle and looked up at the four citizens. Giving his commlink a meaningful shake, he said, "Corps, spooks, an' Spocks, Doc. What yer into, ain't jist the megas, you got the gummint an' the dandelion munchers after it to. Circlin' ya like toms 'round a tabby in heat. An' I don't mind sayin', stuff you been lookin' at, it's a field o' great interest ta ol' Al as well. Not ta mention the whole damned rest o' the world."

He watched the daughter shift position. Whatever she tried to cover up, it just exposed something else. He tried to decide how old she was, but decided if he had to wonder, then she was too young.

He congratulated himself on his sterling morals and ironclad ethics.

"Way I see it, we's lookin' at nothin' short of an' a good spell worse'n a full-on zombie apocalypse with this thing. 'Cept instead of a few seconds Danny Boyle-style, or a few days George Romero-style, this one takes a few weeks or months. That's the plus side. Onna minus side, the zombies is smart an' shit. An' ya can't tell 'em from folk. On balance, hell, I'd prefer the flesheaters. So aside from wantin' ta git you an' your kin safe, I reckon I'd like ta see your work inna right hands."

An ugly noise escaped from Spike, and Al cursed and shooed the huge dog out of the room.

"Now the other side, they's gittin' more an' more powerful, gittin' in places, so I reckon that explains why besides some parties wantin' ya intact, others seem ta want ya dead."

The last part sent the boy's eyes wide and the wife into a fresh bout of tears, but he ignored it.

"But here's what I need ta know. Yer work, you come across somethin' important quite recently? Never mind if ya published it or told anyone - way I figure, all these here clients an' more may've been watchin' your work without you knowin' it. So any breakthroughs real recent, like? Ya see, here you been workin' away, an' not even a proper security detail on you an' yours. Then all of a sudden, tonight, we got at least three high-speed teams pullin' out the stops in a race ta git to ya. Tell me why, Doc."
« Last Edit: <07-16-15/1701:22> by adamu »

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #520 on: <07-16-15/1838:28> »

Nitro noted that the crew hadn't exactly been quick to introduce themselves, but from the sounds of it they'd had a bad night, and there seemed to be some other tension int he air... what was that crack about a revolving door about?

He listens to some of the details before giving a low whistle. "Wull then sounds like you lot found yesselves in a right little clusterfuck eh?" He takes the beer and cracks it with a grin "Breakfast o' fuckin' champions eh? But then soun's like you lot have has yesselves a busy night. Lost a set o' rotos eh? Whatchyado, cram some assault rifles in an had em flying in formation around you?" he gives Solo a comisserating clap on the shoulder, not even waiting for an answer before the stream of words starts up again. "Heh, course ya did, we all make that mistake. We get thinkin' about ho much they can add to firepower an don't think that others will see that too and start pumpin' lead at them."

He motions solo to the back of his car and pops the boot. Inside are a pair of armored roto-drones. "Now here, I gots mesself a couple of real beauties. Ya don see these puppies very offen, corpsec use them in defensive patrols. F-B model 'Bumblebee', more than three times the armor o those little MTC pieces o' shit. Sure they ain as fast, but they come standard with an M202 machinegun. I've done a few modifications, upgraded the sensors, installed a smartlink system and gas venting on the guns." He finally pauses for a breath again, grinning at Solo and holding up a finger "But yeknow what I dun do with these things? I don't have em flying off my shoulders. Corpsec know what these are, fuckers have won awards in their little circlejerks so they see these beauties an they bust out the armor piercing rounds, or even a fuckin rocket launcher if they don't like the neighborhood. Ya know the kinda range on these machineguns? No need ta have 'em on top of ya, fly em up over the street and rain fire down, that or fly around the outside of a buildin and start shooting in through the windows. Now, needless ta say aroun' here you start lettin rip wi a couple o' machineguns ya bes be having a way out already set, local fuckin blues don't like that kinda ruckas one little bit so they come howlin and screaming at ya like it's a fuckin terrorist attack. Still, a few bursts o suppressin fire from these little beauties will get mos people divin' for the nearest fuckin sewer grate ta hide in." He laughs and grin as he closes the boot again.

So wassall the hoopla abou then? I dinnin' get told dreck about what's gone down, jus te get mesself te this address an make sure I wassin followed."
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #521 on: <07-16-15/1850:16> »
The Frenchman was this close to just put a bullet in the suit's head. But out of respect for his companions and to extend the survival rate of this run by a few hours hopefully, he held himself back.

He was pissed however.
And with a timing only found in trids, the new guy showed up... and the Frenchman was less than impressed.

Non mais vraiment! Guys, this is f**** ridiculous. First that suit who talk through his ass like no other knows way too much about what we don't. And worst, proved to us how compromised this whole operation is. That one of us leave is ok, we all have  a shitload of drek on our shoulders, and Snow had to meet his obligations... But now, who the hell was stupid enough to give Torrent this location?
And on top of that the prick in suit 'recommends' to Torrent a runner to replace Snow? No offense Kiddo,
he said at Nitro, but whether Torrent vouch for you or not, there's gonna be some trust issue here.

Who told Torrent we needed some hotshot wheeler? We don't fucking know what's our next plan of action is and last night we had an entire convoy leaving Oxford!

The Frenchman took a couple breaths, trying to cool himself rapidly.

Qu'importe... Well now that you're here... at least you got heavy firepower apparently, could end up being useful. Here's my take on things and no one has to listen to me really. We need to get organized. and we need a safe place to hide while we decide what to do next with the Doc. This place is completely compromised. We need to find out how they find us. and I think it would help if we find out what happened to Art. I don't trust  the guy but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he got cheated as much as we did. Hell he may even have been geeked already for all we know.

ISaint, the way you acted... you seem like the expert here in Security. I say you take the lead and start telling people what to do. Most of us probably don't and won't like it, but there're too many of us to be efficient and coherent if we all do as we please.
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #522 on: <07-16-15/1904:19> »

The techniphile just grins at Frenchman, catching the accent and shifting his hair to display the union jack before he responds. "Wull now if we don have a little continental flavor in this merry little band. HA! Dun worry, I understan ya concern. Dunno nothin about this suit ye yammerin about but souns like there's be some grade A shifty shit goin on so I can't say that I blame ye on the trust issue. I reckon in your shoes I'd be havin the same issue, well, if I was wearen any ta begin with."

He chuckles and takes another swig of the beer, his hair shifting to a blue flame effect, similar to that of NOS exhaust burning, no doubt part of where his street name comes from.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #523 on: <07-16-15/2002:19> »
Isaint nodded at the Frenchman's comment:
"Allright. This isn't my country and I don't have any comments on where we should go, but the sooner we leave here, the better. But until then we have to fortify this location."
He turned to the new arrival:
"Hello Nitro, my name's Isaint. I was hired for this gig to guard a few bodies. Your sudden appearance is not entirely comfortable for me as a seasoned runner, but I trust our fixer. You can make yourself useful and get those drones in the air. I want a Diamond formation on this location with a wide rotation pattern.
Solo, Halucination: After Daddy's unfortunate injury, you are our resident mages. I don't know enough about that stuff to explain your job to you, but if you can summon some air spirits that can keep watch on the astral side. If you have a trick to obscure our location against magical recon feel free to do so.
Unfortunately we lost also a decker, so Tobis will have to pick up the slack. We need early warning if any devices that look like weapons or other military hardware comes near here. I just bought a new toy to help out with that.

What I want to say is this: We can't stop them from finding us - our group is to big and we can't go totally dark if we want to salvage this situation. But we can be prepared for their next attack.

The rest of us will have to pair up and keep a two man watch for two hours each while the rest tries to find some sleep. Keep your weapons close and don't take off your pants - better yet keep also your shoes on. Choose a sleeping place where you have easy access to cover - and I don't mean a security blanket.

Normally, I'd say we trap the entry ways, but we might have to leave in a hurry. If we have to scram we need to agree on a new meeting place now so that we don't have to use possibly compromised communications. Where this is I'll leave up to you locals.

Have all our vehicles facing the exit and in a state to evacuate quickly. So leave your doors open.
Our first priority is the safety of the family, so make sure you recognize them in the dark.

If you haven't yet, reboot and turn all your devices to silent mode. Also someone should probably make sure the family doesn't have any tags on them and make sure the kids' commlinks aren't bugged.

I don't know which one of you is the best negotiator, but we'll need one in the morning when the doctor has decided which corp he wants to join. Maybe Art will be in contact again by then.

That's all I can say from the top of my head. I'll take first watch and familiarize myself a bit more with this place."

talk think matrix

saithor

• Omae
« Reply #524 on: <07-16-15/2127:18> »
"I already have one around the compound. Why he did not pick up the man who came for Snow Crash I do not know. He's still here, so that man seems to be able to cloak himself from the astral." Hallucination said. She ndded to the rest of Isaint's instructions, and then went outside real wuick to give the place a quick loo. The presence in her head began to talk.

So what's your next move? The Raven questioned.

She gave the astral equivalant of a shrug Finish the job, what else? It would be much easier to unravel the layers of the mystery from the inside then from the out. It's not like this business is to dangerous, and besides, it's probably more saf with this group than without. We don't have any friends in this part of the world.

Curiosity sated, the Raven chose to be enigmatically silent, as it usually chose to be most of the time. Sarah sighed, the spirit could sometimes be a little exasparating, but it had been it that had helped her escape before.
Dialogue
Comn
Astral
Thoughts
What's your favorite scary movie?

Register