NEWS

SR5 Phobias question

• 9 Replies

Aethelwulf1972

« on: <04-20-15/2251:46> »
1) Am I correct that spiders would count as Uncommon?

2) what manner of phobias might a character have picked up as a result of participation in the Amazonia-Aztlan war, and would they be common or uncommon and what would be their severity?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #1 on: <04-21-15/0224:02> »
Spiders are pretty common.  And could certainly have been something gained via fighting in Amazonia, because there are some very wacko things down there, including - and I'm going off memory, here, so forgive me if I'm wrong - a spider that lays its eggs in the Brazilian kiwi (the one from Dunk's Will) which, if eaten, induce some pretty serious hallucinations.  It was featured in either the Missions adventure book (not so sure) or else Predator and Prey (more likely).
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-21-15/0254:02> »
You could have picked up many phobias associated with various wild life, insect critters, something associated with PTSD. You could have a phobia of rat-like rodents since encountering devil rats is fairly common in that neck of the woods.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-21-15/0425:17> »
Lets not also forget that if your character isn't awakened there's always the possibility of a magic phobia.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-21-15/0924:31> »
I'd call spiders uncommon and vermin common.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-21-15/1421:29> »
You could have picked up many phobias associated with various wild life, insect critters, something associated with PTSD. You could have a phobia of rat-like rodents since encountering devil rats is fairly common in that neck of the woods.

Ah, the ROUS   --- I don't think they exist.... <Wump!>  ;D

... - a spider that lays its eggs in the Brazilian kiwi (the one from Dunk's Will) which, if eaten, induce some pretty serious hallucinations.  It was featured in either the Missions adventure book (not so sure) or else Predator and Prey (more likely).

And the Brazilian Kiwi - it was a great plot hook! It is also found in Parabotany. :)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <04-21-15/1734:04> »
They (the spiders) were in predator and prey.

And, are MUCH more nasty then Wyrm remembers.... (they also lay eggs IN people too... as one of the researchers "hatches" a few on the plane ride home, if the PCs don't deal with them first...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Aethelwulf1972

« Reply #7 on: <04-21-15/1934:42> »
Spiders are pretty common.  And could certainly have been something gained via fighting in Amazonia, because there are some very wacko things down there, including - and I'm going off memory, here, so forgive me if I'm wrong - a spider that lays its eggs in the Brazilian kiwi (the one from Dunk's Will) which, if eaten, induce some pretty serious hallucinations.  It was featured in either the Missions adventure book (not so sure) or else Predator and Prey (more likely).
So you are recommending a phobia of kiwi fruit???  :o  ;D

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <04-22-15/1321:20> »
No, giving you/him a very easy reason to have a phobia of spiders.  Trust me, I just READ that adventure and I get a bit twitchy about big ones now.  Let's not talk about what the Insect adventures (especially the UB and Bug City) did to my 'appreciation' of them.  I think the only good thing for me is that there weren't Centipede Spirits ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-22-15/1625:12> »
I think the only good thing for me is that there weren't Centipede Spirits ...
That we know of...

:D