NEWS

Date Night ( IC )

• 3424 Replies

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3210 on: <04-13-16/0046:32> »
Traffic is heavier than usual on the road that morning and there's a long stretch of road where the van is barely moving along. The trid is cycling through a variety of different topics and it's obvious nothing more note-worthy happened in the last few hours.
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #3211 on: <04-13-16/1103:16> »
Jed and Marco head for the door.  Jed drops a quick message for Samia on her comm to remind her that Marco will be returning for the next two days, while Jed writes up the focus formulas.  Jed offers copies of the formulas in exchange for the assistance with learning to craft the foci themselves.  As the hour is late, Jed turns to Marco I'm going to head home, just going eat from the soy machine tonight.  I'm pretty worn out.  I'll get our formula written while you hone you artificing skill here for a couple of days.  You said you are using a wooden comb?  Let me take it with me so I can make sure the formula is tailored to it.  In my spare time I'm going to try to locate a friend of Yelena's too.
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3212 on: <04-13-16/1425:59> »
Jed finds several pages in social media about the husband and wife team who's hard work has built a small package delivery company into a prosperous business in the city of Wroclaw that now has subsidiary offices in Zielona Gofra and Poznan. It includes information on their charitable activities and Jaidwega is on the board of a local orphanage. An activity she is quoted as saying, "Is what my soul needs. We never have children Gregory and I we grow up in orphanages our hearts know children need to know someone cares for them." Jed finds several write-ups of them at various social functions. But, very little beyond the public write up on their business. But, following their social functions Jed is able to cross reference their activities with some mid-level criminals whose activities take them into the same cities with a correlation over the years that's impossible to be accidental. And following that trail Jed is able to trace the drug and slave trafficking activities.
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #3213 on: <04-13-16/1517:11> »
"We were introduced by a mutual friend," Firefly says simply.

Mulcarn

• Omae
« Reply #3214 on: <04-13-16/1550:08> »
His eyes dart back and forth from Yelena to Firefly as they take turns talking.  Still, his head hung low when he spoke to the young girl.  "That's cool.  Are you going with us to Poland?"
Speech|Thoughts|Matrix|Whisper|Astral|Descriptors and Narrative

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3215 on: <04-13-16/1707:36> »
"Of course you did. You're a mage. Same as your mother, and your father, and your mentor. You're the most amazing man I've ever met." She continues to hold him and her eyes go across the room to Jed and Marco and she looks at the door, signaling them.

"A time it all blew up in my face? Perhaps every time my spirits interact with other humans..." he thinks. "It is a sad story but I can make it amusing - focus on the 'oh darn' aspect. "I recently summoned a spirit to perform a healing for me. Sound simple right? How could it go wrong... it only requires a gentle touch of aura's" he said and paused. Shortly later he added "The problem was the spirit took the magical limitation of 'touch' in a very odd manner. I had to release him before he reached third base."  He grins and shortly after becomes more serious and adds "I feel the worse at my job, I gain confidence with the magical arts and then things like that happens and makes me feel incompetent again."

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #3216 on: <04-13-16/1910:20> »
"That's cool.  Are you going with us to Poland?"

It's a reasonable question since it sounds like he's going too.  That's up to Yelena-sensei and Arc...san.  I just a support member of their team, here to learn what I can and grow so that I can achieve my objective.  And so far it appears i might be able to learn something from this guy.

"If Yelena-sensei still wants me, then yes, I plan to," I answer in the British accented English I learned from my mother and perfected in Singapore.  "I've never been to Poland, but I have been to Germany and Russia as well as elsewhere in Europe and Asia.  I'm hoping I will prove worthy of her confidence."

Mulcarn

• Omae
« Reply #3217 on: <04-13-16/2308:41> »
Anders tilts his head upward at the mention of the various countries she had been to.  Fleeting thoughts encircle him in wonderment.  "To be so well traveled, especially at such a young age.  Makes me think she's corporate.  Or ex-corporate to be exact.  Don't know which one though.  I wonder what she's capable of that would warrant her going to Poland with us.  Decker perhaps?  Maybe she's a mage like me.  I know one way I can find out."  To satisfy his curiosity, Anders shifts perception to get a better look at Firefly and see what shape and color her soul takes.

[spoiler]Assensing: 12d6t5 7[/spoiler]

Less shy and more enthused, Anders inquires.  "Why wouldn't she?  I've heard nothing but formidable things from her about you.  I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit.  In fact, I can't wait to see all the awesome feats you can do."  A sly grin was drawn across his lips as he spoke the words of encouragement to Firefly.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3218 on: <04-14-16/0036:33> »
Yelena smiles to herself.  The turn of the conversation is going well.  It seems that Firefly might get along with Anders and that is a good thing.  Since the traffic is moving slowly, she puts the van into autopilot and sits back to listen to the others talk.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #3219 on: <04-14-16/1121:51> »
To Anders' astral senses, the young Asian's aura is definitely that of an awakened person.  She does the usual effort of a modestly trained mage to mask it, but since she's not feeling threatened at the moment she's not focusing her efforts on the masking.  The Norwegian is also very good at assensing.  Also of note is that she carries no fetishes or other magical artifacts and no spirits are associated with her.

In seeming contrast with the appearance of a mage with considerable talent if uncertain ability, there are two small "blank spots" where her mana does not reach.  She has been cybered at the base of her skull and on her right wrist.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

"Why wouldn't she?" the Nordic man inquires rhetorically.  "I've heard nothing but formidable things from her about you.  I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit.  In fact, I can't wait to see all the awesome feats you can do."

I can feel blood rush to my cheeks and I look out the window to avoid meeting either Anders' or Yelena-sensei's gaze. 

Yeah, I can do pretty cool things.  On the other hand, I can also do a great job of getting my new friends killed.  Who knows, maybe it's brain damage from her injuries that caused Arc-san to do something so ridiculous.  She seemed to have her head on straight before the accident.  Damn I am so useless without my team.  Maybe all I really am is a pampered princess who can't survive on her own...

"I do my best..." I mutter glumly in response as my eyes linger unfocused out the window into the grey, winter Seattle skyline.

Mulcarn

• Omae
« Reply #3220 on: <04-14-16/2008:39> »
Anders blinks in astonishment and shifts back to meat space, but he's keen enough to not let it show more than that.  "A mage who decks.  Quite the rarity.  Someone who can provide either magical or matrix support, maybe both simultaneously.  I might be outclassed compared to Firefly, and maybe Marco as well.  There might not be much I can offer Yelena at this point.  The best I can hope to do is bodyguard Firefly or Arc.  Whether they need my help or not remains to be seen."

Firefly's aversion to look at Anders while she speaks causes him to feel bad about making her depressed.  Her sad tone furthers his guilt.  Dark, darker and darkest still he ponders on how to alleviate the young girl's ailing mood.  Anders sighs quietly and says outright what Yelena wanted him to talk about with Firefly.  "You've seen what kind of mage I am.  An aspected conjurer.  Or as some simply call me, a summoner.  I can't do much more than commune with spirits.  Maybe command them if need be.  You on the other hand are a mystery to me.  What magical talents do you possess?"

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #3221 on: <04-14-16/2045:48> »
I sigh at the perfectly reasonable question which only makes me feel more useless.

"My training was focused on casting since we felt it was the best way short of summoning that I could support ops and I wasn't comfortable with summoning.  It's discouraged in my tradition, especially for a girl.  I was only beginning to branch out when my training was...cut short.  I've only came to my awakening a few years ago.  It surprised a lot of people since i showed no sign of the gift until puberty."  I swivel around to face the man talking from the back seat.  "Has Yelena-sensei talked to you about me and summoners?"

Mulcarn

• Omae
« Reply #3222 on: <04-14-16/2134:55> »
Anders listens raptly to the exotic mage speak.  Nodding in understanding as she describes her capabilities and limits to those capabilities.  "Ah, you're a proficient sorcerer then.  A weaver of words and mana.  Usually summoning is appreciated in almost every tradition.  The only ones I know of who don't care for it are the Abrahamic religious traditions.  Need to review them all later when I get the chance."  When Firefly turns to face him with her pained question, he shuts his eyes as he considers the best way to answer her that'll bring some measure of comfort and clarity to the woman.  Slowly Anders' eyelids snap open and he divulges what he knows, along with what he believes.  "Yes.  I was told that you had a bad experience with one of Marco's so called demons.  The spirit in question was instructed to heal.  But it seems something else happened instead.  I don't know the whole story.  Just a few pieces of what Yelena had told me.  But... i'm not blind.  You're not comfortable around me.  Or with what I can do.  We can drop the subject if you like.  I'm only bringing this all up because Yelena asked me to and because she is worried about you.  Worried that you're alone and afraid."

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3223 on: <04-15-16/0519:27> »
Jed and Marco head for the door.  Jed drops a quick message for Samia on her comm to remind her that Marco will be returning for the next two days, while Jed writes up the focus formulas.  Jed offers copies of the formulas in exchange for the assistance with learning to craft the foci themselves.  As the hour is late, Jed turns to Marco I'm going to head home, just going eat from the soy machine tonight.  I'm pretty worn out.  I'll get our formula written while you hone you artificing skill here for a couple of days.  You said you are using a wooden comb?  Let me take it with me so I can make sure the formula is tailored to it.  In my spare time I'm going to try to locate a friend of Yelena's too.

Marco replies:  "My comb... of course I never leave home without it. Just in case something messes my hair style - you can never know." and hands Jed his beloved comb. He say "It was really nice meeting you Josh and Samia - "I'll definitely be back tomorrow to continue my training. I think that I am actually learning - and this is a lot coming from someone deemed unteachable by catholic priests." It was evening as he left Samia's place and went into his own.  He said to Samia, Josh and Jed - "I am going out from here, starting with some Jazz and then dancing after a short trip home. You are welcome to join, I'll start the night at Josie."

He texted a few messages:
">>Dear Blake,  would you like to meet at Josie? hear some soft Jazz?"

">>Dear Firefly, there is a contact I'd like to introduce you too, a talismonger. Might be useful - she helps me with the basics of crafting magical foci - I am trying to learn how to make them.  Let me know,  Marco."

">>Yelena, Arc, Firefly - I am heading for dinner at Josie's if you'd like to join me."

">>Tammie, I am sorry to hear about your job place. How are things with you? Could I buy you a drink or something? I am meeting with friends at a jazz club perhaps you'd like to join us?"

Home - a fragile concept taught Marco as he entered his apartment. Yelena did not have that many stuff and was somewhat unnoticeable. He bought some lodge materials- " I need to actually assemble the lodge - but not tonight - it was way too much mojo. "

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #3224 on: <04-15-16/1131:33> »
I wince at the blunt characterization.  Afraid.  I want to protest such a strong word, but I'd be lying to myself and the others in the car if I did.  Yes, I am afraid.  Afraid of failing.  Afraid of changes.  Afraid of what I don't know.  Afraid of what I do know.  I hate it...it's not me...but it's there.  I was never prepared for this but here I am.  But can't fear be motivation?  Properly channeled, is fear entirely bad?

Jenna's parting words flit through my mind.  Am I really rejecting my parent's wishes by pursing justice?  And so what if I am?  Isn't my duty to Renraku above all else?  These vermin are a cancer that need to be excised.  It is my obligation to cut it away and burn it.  And to do that, I need to transform myself into a scalpel with the keenest of edges.  I hoped that the Yak would be the crucible to make me what I need to be, but they clearly wanted to make me their obedient tool.  Keep me to heel and attack only when they said so, in the manner they said so.  Or maybe George was just trying to honor my father's wishes by keeping me sidelined.  Either way, there was no future for me there if my goal is to cure Renraku of these bastards.

So that leaves me with this new team Lexi introduced me to.  Yelena is an assassin.  A good one at that.  I can learn so much from her.  Even if this "shadow" of her makes no sense to me, it's led her to success.  I'll have to adapt what I learn from her, but there's no better teacher likely to drop into my life.  I can't lose her now, especially not after I've lost Arc-sensei.

"I am alone," I respond coldly.  "And yes, I am afraid.  I'd be reckless if I wasn't afraid; totally useless to Yelena-sense because I'd the denying reality that this life is dangerous.  Instead I'm facing that reality head on, embracing my fear.  Fear will keep me alive, summoner.  It''s a crucible that will forge me to strength.  Like a bonsai, fear will coax me into the shape I need to assume in order to right the wrongs that were done to my family and my people."

I can only hope my voice doesn't belie the uncertainties behind my words.  Although I keep my eyes mostly on the man, I can't help but steal a few glances as I speak in the direction of Yelena to see what effect my words are having on the one who matters most to me in the world right now.
« Last Edit: <04-16-16/1041:46> by Shaman_Yuri »