Every time you use an addictive substance during (11
— Addiction Rating) weeks in a row, you need to make an
Addiction Test.
The clock on this keeps ticking even if you
skip a week, but every week you go without indulging
reduces the Addiction Threshold by 1 (it returns to normal
when you use again). If the threshold hits 0, you’re off the
hook until you use the substance again. This means that
substances with high Addiction ratings (like kamikaze)
could get you hooked in a single dose.
When it’s time for an Addiction Test, check to see if
the addiction type is psychological, physiological, or
both—that will tell you what you’ll be adding to your dice
pool for the test. If it’s psychological, use Logic + Willpower; if it’s physiological use Body + Willpower. If it’s
both, you need to make two tests: one psychological and
one physiological. The threshold for the test is given on
the Addiction Table(at right). If you’re using more than
one addictive substance, you need to make tests for each
of them every time an Addiction Test comes up.
If you fail the Addiction Test, you gain the Addiction
quality for the substance you’ve been using (without
picking up any bonus Karma for it). If you already have the
Addiction quality for the substance, it gets more severe
by one step (Mild to Moderate to Severe to Burnout).
If
you’re already at Burnout … well, it’s not good.

Quote is fro core rules page 414 -  bold is mine.
I understand right you have to use quite a lot the substance to qualify for an addiction test.
For example Bliss is addiction rating 5 so to be addicted to bliss you need to use it once per week for 11-5=6 weeks and only then you get to do addiction test.  This also means that you simply can't go up an addiction level every day. Worst case you can up a level every 6 weeks.

« Last Edit: <09-26-15/1113:50> by gilga »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #301 on: <09-26-15/1136:30> »
Hmm.  I do not think you are right.  It says EVERY TIME you use it within the specified time period.  Smiles is being kind if she is only requiring one roll, as I believe that Yelena was using several drugs.  Maybe the others were not addictive?
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #302 on: <09-26-15/1236:08> »
The way I see it every time you use an addictive substance during X weeks in a row(!) you need to make an addiction text.

Where X= 11-addiction rating. So to know weather or not I used an addictive substance X weeks in a row it implies that I need to wait X weeks. With rolling against addiction threshold every time you use it is like we elevated any addictive materials to the highest possible addiction rating (and even above that).

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #303 on: <09-26-15/1359:11> »
Every time you use an addictive substance during (11
— Addiction Rating) weeks in a row, you need to make an
Addiction Test.
The clock on this keeps ticking even if you
skip a week, but every week you go without indulging
reduces the Addiction Threshold by 1 (it returns to normal
when you use again). If the threshold hits 0, you’re off the
hook until you use the substance again. This means that
substances with high Addiction ratings (like kamikaze)
could get you hooked in a single dose.

So, every time Yelena uses she makes an Addiction test. And the threshold for that test, ie success means she isn't further addicted, and failure means she's one step further on the Addiction Track, is the Addiction Rating for that drug.. The text even states that drugs with high addiction ratings can have you addicted in one use. The time, ie the 11-Addiction Rating weeks is the amount of time you have to not use the substance in order to be considered 'clean', ie free of the addiction. It also helps by reducing the threshold by one for every week someone doesn't use, whether that's by choice or by force. So, yes, Yelena makes the test every time she uses, and can slide further into addiction. The balance for that is once the party cleans her out she only has to be clean for five weeks until she can successfully resist temptation. The least addictive substance Yelena has used is Bliss. The gambling is a psychological addiction. And Mercy is correct. He should have tested for each substance. But, we didn't really detail them and so I decided one roll was acceptable given the current gameplay.
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #304 on: <09-26-15/1647:37> »
I cannot Skype from where I am, but I can post, maybe.  Limited connectivity and Skype times out before it loads.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #305 on: <09-26-15/2315:24> »
No worries Mr. Itchy Fingers.
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #306 on: <09-30-15/1649:30> »
Boom, just so you know Subaru is in VR.  Not sure what tipped you that it was her just by looking at her limp body.  She's totally living this through your drone feeds and the matrix.

And speaking of itchy trigger fingers, she's 'sitting' with her virtual finger on the button to hack through the transformer and set off the warehouse like an exploding Christmas tree...

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #307 on: <09-30-15/1733:23> »
Timing is what tipped her off.  The guards notice the sound of a possible intruder, and then the lights go out?  The universe is never so lazy.

I personally didn't realize Subaru was still in VR, and will be mindful of that in Tyne future posts.  Arc will be acting in reaction to opportunities, not knowing what the Decker is planning :D

Duck N. Cover

• Chummer
« Reply #308 on: <10-03-15/1723:39> »
“Don't cry, Margarita.”
     It was a dream—a memory—and she knew it.  Every bit of detail was there: the rhythmic hammer blows bouncing their staccato notes off the plasticrete floor and walls.   The cold seeping out of the nearby crack in the corner of the garage/basement.  Big Brother Guillermo's hand patting her shoulder.
   He wasn't really her brother--not biologically anyway.  Guillermo and Raoul were actually her cousins.
]It didn't change the fact that they belonged to her family as far back as her earliest memories went, and called Father “Pappa” and Mother “Momma” too.  They also had teased her all the time about being a “girl” and a “princess”, never once had they bullied her about her size or features.
   On reflection, that might have been why one of her first mistaken beliefs were that all 'boys' were Human and all 'girls' were Trolls...
   As she remembered, the hammering stopped, followed closely by the rattle of tools.  Guillermo straightened up and looked toward the center of the shop, hidden from her place in the corner by stacks of tires, drums of lubricant and a solvent tank.  “Any luck, Poppa?”
   “No need for luck...good as new.  See?”
   Guillermo looked relieved.  She'd taken it as a hopeful sign and stood up to take a look herself.
   There, in her father's strong, calloused hands was the frame of her hand-built tricycle—her birthday present.
   A mere hour before, it had looked like a pile of cooked soy-getti noodles.  It still had various marks of vice-clamp and hammer, and the paint was a lost cause (all fixed later).  She hadn't cared.  To her, Poppa had brought her freedom--her first step into the mystical speeds of the bicycled—back from the dead.
   “Thank you Poppa,” she had snuffled, her nose far too runny at that point for even a child's dignity.
   “No need to thank me.  Just don't make it a habit, Kiddo” he added, but even then she knew he was happy.
   “Oh, I don't know about that,”  Momma answered from the door.  Margarita had yet to figure out how her gigantic, hulking, wonderful mother could enter a closed room without being noticed.  Raoul (easily) convinced her during most of her childhood that Momma was a Special Agent for the gift-giving Father Christmas.  The Munoz matron took the Big portion of the steps down to the shop floor, pulling a handkerchief from her apron. After making quick work of her daughter's face, she grinned and whispered (loud enough for the whole room) “I think your Poppa deserves more than a 'thank you'.  I think this calls for a great big hug.”
   Margarita had needed no further encouragement.  Years later, she would have to tone back her enthusiasm for his safety, cherishing the earlier opportunities to give all the affection she could muster.
   Poppa got no kiss on the cheek however: she was still learning that talent. Her 'baby' tusks had grown out far enough to fully bypass her lips and perforating her mouth just by eating or speaking happened less frequently...but still.
   “As for habits,” Momma continued after a length of time that only mothers can gauge as appropriate, “Raoul told me you freely loaned your trike.  Is this true?”
   “Yes Momma.  But--”
   “But?”  Dragons hoped one day to be as fear-inspiring as Margarita's mother, much less do so in cut-offs, a t-shirt and an apron.
   Margarita remembered the confusion.  “Timmy Turnbull said he just wanted to have a ride, and he didn't have a bicycle, and you tell Raoul and Guillermo to share with me when I don't have things...”
   “That's true, but the boys don't loan you their bikes, do they?”
   “Guillermo did.  But I don't know how to ride.”
   “I said 'Okay' to make you shut up!”  In spite of herself Margarita felt like laughing at the memory of Guillermo's panic.  “Because I knew you didn't know how to ride!”
   The sigh Momma released had sounded like a judge's gavel.  Still, she had gone to one knee to pass judgment:  “Kiddo, listen closely.  Sharing is still a good thing, but not everyone is good at sharing.”
   “Really?”
   “Sad, but true.  You will meet some people in life that will treat your 'sharing' as...something else.  So, I'd like you to take two lessons to heart.  Learn them, or you'll fix the next 'shared' thing yourself.  Am I clear?”
   “Yes Momma.”
   “Good.  The First Lesson is this,” her mother's eyes were dark and serious.  “If you're going to 'share' something, look deep, deep into your heart and ask yourself--”
   “...ask myself...”
   “Will it make me sad if I never get it back?  Or if I do get it back, but it's all messed up?  If the answer is 'Yes', then 'it' is too special to share and you shouldn't,  no matter how much the other person wants you to.”
   “Yes Momma.”  Later 'Lessons' would include advice on Sharing special things with family and close friends, Intangible things as special things and How to keep the number of Too-Special-to-Share things to a reasonable number, but Margarita couldn't fault her mother's advice to the child she was.
   “Good.  The second lesson is from Guillermo.”
   Margarita remembered the surprise from not only her, but the whole room.  “A lesson from him?”
   There it was; the twinkle in Momma's eye.  “If someone makes you 'share' what you don't want to, make sure they can't go farther or faster than you.”

The Second Lesson was quickly tested and expanded on the next time she went to ride.  True to the First Lesson, Margarita had refused to share a second time with Timmy.  He tried to take it from her;  it was a struggle, but she managed to flip the trike over and add her weight to it.   Timmy left.
   She had the trike righted when Timmy returned with friends.
   Friends with baseball bats.

Margarita pulled her thoughts away from that particular memory; there was no need to relive a nightmare if one could help it.  It could have been much, much worse: Raoul and Guermo had reached her.  She escaped damage to anything vital.

Still...
   The corner of her right eye socket had been fractured.  Her right arm and leg pulped.  Both hands little more than gloves filled with gelatin and jigsaw puzzle pieces.

Pain Killers kept the early stages of recuperation blessedly blank.

What she could remember of that time was the palpable sorrow from her family and the love and attention they lavished on her.
   ...And the restrictive confinement of her casts.   And the sheer boredom and sameness of the walls of her room.  Her brothers tired their best to help but stories, crafts and trid could only do so much.  Even the new datajack that her parents had included during her 'down time'  lost its novelty.
   She had been at the end of her pre-schooler-sized wits by the end of her first conscious week.  The last straw was learning that Poppa and the boys had been busy in the shop and had finished a couple of hobby motorcycles.  Margarita had been sure that her life was over; chasing her brothers had been bad enough when their two-wheelers required their own power.
   Poppa's 'surprise' was clearly foreseen and orchestrated; the datajack the dead giveaway.  Still, she remembered his triumphant entrance into her room, the simple rigger control console in his arms.  “This may not be the best way to learn to get around, but it should give you a chance to practice...”
   It would be months before she actually got to see the actual 'body' of the three-wheeled trike drone she drove all over the neighborhood.  That was probably for the best...Poppa's retooling of her tricycle for remote control and electric drive turned the 'rear' wheels into the trike's front and steering.  It was no wonder the times she would start to move out, only to have Raoul jump to intercept: it looked like a runaway toy, forever in reverse.
   Maybe it was silly—even childish—back then.  Her father could have designed and built a better training drone from scratch.
   Now, she wouldn't have had it any other way.  Not for the message it sent.
   And not for the lessons it taught her about herself.  Thanks to the power of remote control, her slow, gangly body was unnecessary to get up to speeds where the world was a blur passing around her.  With practice, time and a little patience  no obstacle was insurmountable.    Her horizons were limited only by her imagination.
   And yet, she realized over time, it left her too detached:  only her trike drone went and did and saw.  She wasn't really there.
   And she really wanted to be there, too.

The pounding on her apartment door jarred her back from sleep.  “Get your troll hoop outa there right now!  I said no pets, and I mean NO PETS!”
   An extra pound on the door assured Margarita that a) hers was the door in question and not a theoretical neighbor troll's,  and b) the idiot beyond was not intending to break it down. she wrestled her still-foggy thoughts  into order.  'What pet is he talking about?'
   Then her stomach growled.  Of course.
   She made a cursory scan of the room: everything important was properly stashed out of sight.  The thud as she rolled out of her hammock stopped the door-drumming.  She crossed the room swiftly; the last thing she wanted was to let her landlord inhale enough for a long, top-of-his-lungs rant.  A short top-of-his-lungs rant was plenty.
   Margarita thought of the last home cooked breakfast she'd had with her family, opened the door and leaned out. 
   He recoiled, but stopped himself from taking more than a half step back. “I said No Pets--”
   Her gut roared through the polar fleece of her pajamas.
   Even she was a little surprised.  Her landlord went pale.
   “No pets here” she grunted, then pulled back and closed the door.
   Margarita waited until she heard him walk away before crossing the room to the kitchenette.  There was no point trying to sleep.  Sleep wasn't going to keep her fed.
   ...Or get her wheels.
   ...Or get her a job.  Well, a constant money-maker, anyway.
   Still, she grinned to herself.  This was simply a setback:  after taking two-steps forward and two steps back, the proper response?  Take three steps.
   “Time to get to work.”
Speech     Thought      Matrix/ Commlink

Duck N. Cover

• Chummer
« Reply #309 on: <10-03-15/1734:52> »
     Except for the beating she took as a five-year old, Margarita Everclear Munoz had a fairly uneventful—even mundane—childhood.  Born to Carmen (troll) and Eduardo (human), the Munoz family already included Raoul (6 years older) and Guillermo (4 years older)--Eduardo's orphaned nephews.    The happy couple were relieved at Margarita's healthy troll birth, given Carmen was an extremely rare case of gene expression at puberty and they feared their child might encounter the same 'growing pain'.

Margarita grew up in Detroit, in the modest condo attached to Eduardo's Shop: Munoz Motors & Rotors.  Always welcome in the workshop, Margarita's lack of patience led her away from the nuts and bolts and more to the larger machines themselves.  Guillermo is the more technical-minded of the siblings and is currently being groomed to take over the shop eventually.

The neighborhood took some adjusting: although Carmen routinely demonstrated the holes in the troll stereotype, there were those who had trouble wrapping their minds around a toddler of Margarita's size.   The Munoz's found it hard to integrate her into play-sessions with her peers: other parents feared their children being hurt (unintentionally) by her.  Children her size, as well as some adults, considered her immaturity and lack of coordination—both within the norm for her age--a deficiency.   Her brothers did what they could to act as ambassadors and protectors, and life went on.
   Her parents considered the destruction of her tricycle a warning from more than just an elementary-aged neighborhood brat and placed a tracker on their daughter, tagged to a flying drone.  As a result the entire event was recorded, including Raoul and Guillermo's attempts to stop the mob, followed shortly by Carmen's arrival on the scene.
   Carmen was exonerated from all charges.
   For “privacy” concerns, the medical facility that cared for Margarita was undisclosed.

During her recovery she was introduced first to remote control ground drones.  It firmly set her feet on the Rigger's path: as entertaining as piloting a drone was, she craved the experience of going through the motions in the pilot/driver's seat herself.
   ...Or to experience full immersion with the drone, once she learned  that such was possible with control rig cyberware.

Margarita learned to ride a motorcycle as soon as she was released from her casts.  Soon, part of the “service fee” at the shop included instruction and test-driving of any vehicle or drone that came in for work.  Edwardo's regulars were more than happy; several used 'routine maintenance' as an excuse to drop by and teach.
   Perhaps because of her love for her first drone or for the variety of makes and models that Edwardo's shop saw, Margarita developed a soft spot for “toys”: no vehicle was too unusual, no mode of transportation too odd.  Her life's ambition and motto became “if it drives, flies or dives I want to be wiz behind the controls.”
   She also knew that her goal didn't come cheap--neither the vehicles themselves, nor the cyberware to jump into them--but wanted to own at least some of them: being a chauffeur or bus driver wasn't going to cut it.  She also knew her parents were moving on in years--and she had grown tired of her brothers' gentle gibes at being the 'Tomboy Princess' of the family.  She decided to achieve her ambitions by her own means.

And so, after graduating from high school, Margarita enlisted in the UCAS military (Rigger Corps).  Her skills were quickly recognized and she advanced to a test driver: first as final test for post-repair, troll-sized infantry equipment and later as a jump tester in more standard-use vehicles, including rotary aircraft.
     As much as her military career was a dream job for her, Margarita also recognized her lack of opportunities: any fighter that she could fly manually might as well have her name stamped on it, and the UCAS was not going to fork over the nuyen just to put one talented troll in the air.

Added to her misery was yet another plasticrete ceiling: space  (AKA the final frontier).  Try as she might, Margarita couldn't get taken seriously as even a training candidate (considering that for the cost of her bulk alone the military could send up four dwarves).

Seeing the roadblocks for what they were and having done as much as she could, Margarita finished her tour of duty and sought Civilian circles for a less thorny route to her goals. Prior to being discharged however it was determined that the Control Rig she was implanted with by the military was of a “non-Standard Issue” (the “official” explanation being that it was troll-sized).  She had two options: re-enlist for another tour, or be discharged after the surgical removal of the cyberware.
   Margarita chose to leave the Military—and the military's Control Rig—behind.
   Given the circumstances, she was willing to leave it at that: she at least got to walk away with her experiences (she shudders at the thought of Deprogramming).

Back on the civilian side, she turned to another means of acquiring desperately-needed capital with her talents:  Combat Cycling.
   For Margarita, the best case scenario was a position with the the home team (Detroit Lighting) where she could turn to Eduardo and Guillermo for repairs and refits.  Without a reputation however, the Lightning  management was not interested.  Instead, she was offered a probationary tryout with the Milwaukee Manglers—the Lightning's bush league feeder team.
   With the Manglers there was a good chance to be called up the the 'big league' if she could prove herself...and when a long term injury/death left a hole in the Lightning's roster. She jumped at the offer.
   The team grudgingly accepted her talents as legit, and over a couple of months Margarita made a place for herself: teammates who initially showered her with their roost nicknamed her “Mud Slinger” to describe their impression of her massive, soggy wake.  It was also a bit of a joke: her teammates recognized she was the last person to slander anybody.
   Her relationship with the Pit Crew on the other hand was less than cordial, particularly with the dwarf crew chief, Murphy.  A grizzled veteran of C.C. pits—and the Mangler's in particular—Murphy was master of his domain (equipment & maintenance).  He took one one look at her and assumed she was the usual troll on a 'bike: a slow, damage shrugging road block.  Margarita believed in using a troll-rated bike engine to get more output: moving targets are harder to hit.  She was also used to being around garages and would frequent it often; her presence was seen as intimidating (she loomed over shoulders even when sitting down) and insulting (not trusting her Pit).  When small maintenance problems plagued her, she took the hint and kept clear of the garage.

She began to be avoided by a number of the other riders as well; those who associated with her began to develop equipment 'issues' of their own.  When her bike ended up a nut-and-bolt level jigsaw puzzle, she quietly collected the pieces, loaded up her van and returned to Detroit.  At the time, most of the team believed she was gone for good.
   She returned the next evening, her re-assembled motorcycle secured in her van when not in use for the rest of her time in Milwaukee.  She took to the field as usual.
   When the dust finally settled, she left the field with both the opposing team's flag and her own. 

In the midst of the storm clouds, a ray of silver shone through: The Lightning were in the process of trade negotiations with the Seattle Hogs.  Milwaukee management immediately saw a way to lower tension between Riders and Pit, make its 'problem child' go away and look good to the Lightning management by helping to seal a deal.
   And so, it was with a mixture of trepidation and excitement that she packed her belongings and headed West.  It was not the team she had wanted... but it was a step in the right direction. 

She ran into a small scuffle the morning she left Butte.  A local at the truck rest diner accused her of taking his space at the counter; the seats were too small, so she was forced to stand  behind an empty one...and then some.  As she tried to pay and retreat,  he continued to follow and added insults.  She decked him when he grabbed her arm.
   One of the patrons at the time was an off-duty peacekeeper; he saw the whole event.  Although he took a statement from her, Margarita was not charged with anything (she did get a warning from the wait-staff--for littering).  She was heavily encouraged to move on, however.
   Margarita took the hint.
   Her passage through Salish-Shidhe proved unremarkable and she made great time.  Her trip through border customs was routine.  It was evening when she arrived, so she grabbed a night's sleep in a motel, a proper shower and fresh clothes before she presented herself to the staff of the Seattle Hogs.

She was surprised to see more than management and the head coach at the meeting; a private investigator was also in attendance.
   Thus began the Gauntlet.  After a few questions regarding her trip, Margarita was informed that there was a warrant for her arrest in the Sioux nation...on suspicion of murder.  She was informed that a chipper-shredder with her fingerprints had been found outside of Spokane, containing the parts of one Greg Fire-in-his-heart: the local that she'd clocked back in Butte.
   She was informed of the good news:  based on her answers and the records of the places she'd been along the route—as well as the amount of Greg Fire-in-his-heart's remains (only an arm and a leg)--the UCAS could not find enough evidence to extradite her for something as potentially simple as improper post-cyberreplacement disposal of limbs...at least until the rest of a his (potential) corpse could be found, anyway.
   She was still wanted in both Sioux and Salish-Shidhe nations however.
   And because of that, came the bad news:  she was in Breach of Contract, since she could no longer commit to being able to get to game venues outside of Seattle.  As a result she incurred a hefty penalty fee—hefty enough that her van and all her belongings were taken in lien (on the spot) as part of payment.
   And then they terminated her contract.  Whether she had committed a crime or not, the suspicion was enough; fans and sponsors would reject a team that knowingly harbored a potential Killer: “this is combat cycling, not urban brawl.”
   Armed security escorted her to the door.

Without a credible source of income, the apartment she'd arranged for refused her...and kept the  deposit.
   She was a stranger in unfamiliar territory with no food, shelter or cred.

That was six months ago.

Since then, she has managed to earn enough nuyen for a cheap place to crash and enough soy to keep her stomach placated most of the time.    What little work she's found has been odd jobs here and there.  She's fairly certain that her 'seized personal effects' were sold off at auction; she met Hrock while searching for a lead on them.  She is aware Hrock is a smuggler; that may be what it takes for her to get back home to her family, though pride keeps her from taking what she considers the easy way out.
   She has not told her family yet.  Again, her pride is sore; if she asked, she's sure they would try to help.  But she feels she can't keep running to them whenever things don't go her way.
Speech     Thought      Matrix/ Commlink

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #310 on: <10-03-15/1743:33> »
Here is the link to Duck N. Cover's character sheet:

Tuskaloosa

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #311 on: <10-04-15/1355:17> »
« Last Edit: <10-04-15/1512:50> by ismilealot »

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #312 on: <10-04-15/1624:09> »
Arc init    4
Subaru  Initiative: 7+1d6: 11 [1d6=4]   = 0
ismilealot:2D6+8 → 11(2 +1 + 8)#GG #2   = 0
ismilealot:1D6+8 → 10(2 + 8)#GG #1   = 0

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #313 on: <10-04-15/1638:14> »
Initiative in fight with two Goblins - round 2: 7+1d6-1: 10 [1d6=4]

If my turn comes up and I'm unable to post right away, i will cast stunbolt on the most threatening goon at the moment.  Back to my usual non-edgy luck (one hit out of 10 dice), but at least I resisted more drain...

Cast Stunbolt on two Goblins (Force 5) (MAG 5 + Spellcasting 6 - 1 injury): 10d6t5: 1 [10d6t5=4, 1, 4, 6, 4, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3]
resist force 5-3 = 2 drain (LOG 6 + WIL 5): 11d6t5: 5 [11d6t5=3, 6, 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 2, 5, 6, 2]
« Last Edit: <10-04-15/1648:18> by Shaman_Yuri »

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #314 on: <10-04-15/1639:14> »
Initiative: 1d6+8 12 for round 2