NEWS

Overlooked "Must have" gear to survive in 2070

• 77 Replies

mjack

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <03-06-15/1253:38> »
Duct tape, zip ties, lighter, plastic bag and a mix of several multi- and pockettools. And get those Snake Mesh Socks!!  ;D

Squirrel

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <03-06-15/1255:48> »
considering the size of snakes you could encounter I would say stockings are the better choice, but don't get seen.
Please excuse my English as it is not my first language. Misunderstandings are inevitable and smell peachy enough to be forgiven. Thank you :)

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #17 on: <03-21-15/1624:52> »
Thanks for the good ideas.
I'll be purchasing some of this stuff before my next mission for sure.

Question.

Aside from a Burner-Commlink, is there a reason to have 2 "good" commlinks?

I know they can have multiple SIN's on them & you can pick which one to display but is there a reason to have 2?
I'm thinking its a good idea in case 1 is confiscated.

So if you have a Fairlight-7 & a Hermes-5,  which one would you use for your Fake SIN v/s which one for your Real SIN & Legal info?

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-22-15/0356:26> »
Your comlink can be ID'd and tracked personally I'd try and keep my real SIN, details, expenses all on the real one completely seperate from running. That way if something does go wrong they don't have the details for the comlink stating your Maggie Simpson of 742 evergreen terrace. Personally I'd keep the higher security one from the running as that's more likely to be targeted for hacking and have more important details you want to keep hidden.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #19 on: <03-24-15/0210:01> »
Running one hidden, the other one out in the open?  Depending on your needs, this is not a bad idea.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #20 on: <03-24-15/1537:11> »
Okay, so looking like this is a solid set up.

Fairlight-7 = Fake SIN-5, open
Ikon-5 = Real SIN, hidden
Metalink-1 = Burner

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-24-15/1548:27> »
It depends on where you're headed, but the prepaid commlinks from Run Faster are a cheaper burner option.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Equinox

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <03-25-15/0044:50> »
I took a glance through Run Faster, but was unable to come up with a satisfactory answer.  Did the cheap (20Y) and good (100Y) prepaid commlinks have device ratings associated with them, or are they so throw-away that it's not worth mentioning?

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-25-15/0414:33> »
Its not stated there but what I think is that the 100 yen one is the meta link comlink also 100 yen and as proposed to me (and I like) the 20 yen one is also the metalink but you have to pay a 20 yen subscription each month. That is you buy it for 20 yen and after one month it stops working until you pay for another month at 20 yen or you can get the 100 yen version that's unlocked and works indefinately. The higher level comlinks don't come in a month paid subscription variants just fully unlocked.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-25-15/0832:03> »
I treat them as Rating 0 commlinks.  They can't broadcast SINs (which will be an issue in many neighborhoods) and they have neither a Firewall nor a Data Processing rating for the purposes of setting Limits, so you can't perform Matrix test with one--making a simple commcall isn't a Matrix test, but that's about all they do.  I describe them as the equivalent of having a flip phone today; you can make and receive calls just like the other guy's phone, but his phone has a hundred extra options on top of that.
« Last Edit: <03-25-15/0907:10> by Kincaid »
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Equinox

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <03-25-15/1744:36> »
Thanks for the replies, folks, that sounds like a fair way to treat them.  Time to stock up on disposable 'links for a new campaign.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #26 on: <03-25-15/2242:55> »
A couple of metalinks/super cheap burner comms (from Run Faster), micro transceiver, survival bag/bug-out, survival knife, respirator (R6), gas mask (either in ballistics mask or helmet) with extra tank, trauma patches, med kit (higher rating the better), flashlight (all three), trodes or datajack (for DNI), extra cred sticks, back up weapons, extra clothes, and finally back up armor.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #27 on: <03-25-15/2346:03> »
A vehicle.  Seriously - everyone should have their own reliable transport.  Even if that's just a damn Dodge Papoose (or whatever the low-rent moped is called now), or perhaps a pair of bitchin' skates and a magnipoon (along with the relevant mad skills).  Too many times I've seen the mage or the sammie come to the table for their first or second game sans transport.

Not that there's anything wrong with riding the bus; I once executed a first-meet hiring on a Seattle Metroplex bus, complete with harassing gangers - who, notably, got set up to take the fall in case things went south.  Now, the character's regular transport, a Gaz-Willys Mastadon (a knockoff of the Ford-Canada Bison, aka the reliable heavy truck/SUV) was also set up as a drone, and instructed to follow the bus's route at roughly a block spacing - either for a post-meet pickup, or just in case things went south.  The same character also once carried out a set of hirings on the train 'The City of New Orleans' during its southbound route from Chicago ... rather fun, all told.  :)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-26-15/0512:21> »
I'd love to come in an Ares Roadmaster sadly I can't afford that moped with my 6k starting money, at least not while affording everything else I want/need.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <03-26-15/1038:58> »
A vehicle is a really want to have but as long as someone in the party has enough transport to handle the group it isn't a big deal.  If your character concept ends up with resources E then buying a transport just isn't realistic.