NEWS

[5e IC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter III

• 259 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #210 on: <05-01-15/0258:10> »
Katsina brightens when Doc asks if anyone has a good way to shape the snow into blocks. With one fluid move she has pulled her claymore from its sheath, an impish smirk on her face. She sets about to work, gleefully stabbing the sword into the snow to cut blocks of snow and ice.

Doc and Ohanzee teach her what to look for. The snow must be hard packed, yet not so hard that it will not cut. (With her magical sword, this is less of a concern.) The blocks must not be layered with streaks of soft snow that would break when handling. The blocks do not have to fit perfectly; the gaps may be filled with loose snow. Once complete, the warmth inside combined with the wind outside will cement the blocks firmly together. Ohanzee's water spirit spritzs the blocks with mists of water. Before long, the van is encased in a thick candy shell.

Ace is able to achieve much the same effect with his cyberspur. The work is momentarily delayed by Chino's snowball to the back of Ace's head. Strange, Katsina thinks to herself. I would have thought that my spell would have allowed Ace to detect the "attack". But perhaps the spell can tell friend from foe, or can distinguish a playful, non-lethal attack. Still, it's curious that he can dodge a bullet but not a snowball.

"Hey," she calls out to Chino, jutting her chin toward him. "Batter up."

She turns to the side and holds the claymore in front of her like a baseball bat. Turning the flat of the blade to face Chino, she leans over and shakes her toosh a bit to invite a pitch. Chino obliges, and Katsina WAPS the snowball into a puff of powder. With her increased strength, her bat speed is tremendous. Woe be to the one who gets the edge of the blade instead of the flat.

Katsina nods to Sam's suggestion. "Scouting is a good idea. Be careful though; the temperature is falling, and things awake in the woods are hungry this time of year. Will it really take hours?

"I'd go with you but I have a ritual to perform. We should figure out watches for tonight too. I have my spell, which should always be active now, even when I'm asleep. That gives us an edge. Still, we should maintain astral coverage at all times. A spirit, certainly, and also Ohanzee or myself if we can manage." She exchanges a look with the dwarf, who seems to be accumulating a layer of snow of his own.

"You're welcome to take the photos now while I do my ritual, or I can do it when I'm done. We can probably leave it outside for the night. More room in the van that way, and it's not like someone could move it without our notice anyway. We can cover it with snow to help dull the aura so that it's not shining like a beacon."

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #211 on: <05-01-15/1219:00> »
"I need to survey the area. Figure out where the defensive positions are. It will take several hours, I imagine. Does anyone want to join me? I'll only need one of you and any of you will do."

"Sure," Ace says, knocking the rest of the snow from his collar.  "I'll go.  Gimme a sec, though.  I'm gonna want my full load out."

He returns to the van while Katsina and Chino play baseball, and retrieves his laser rifle, makes sure his machine pistol is topped off, and grabs the bundle of microwire and rappelling gloves.  When he rejoins Sam he says, "This isn't quite as good as monowire, but I figure we can use it to make our new home a little more secure.  We've got 200 meters to work with, so we should be able to get the road in at a few different heights, and some other logical choke-points of ingress.  What do you think?  Otherwise, lead the way, and I'll follow."

Once the pair makes off, and Ace starts to feel the cold air beginning to chill him through even the Ares Survivalist suit he's wearing, he sends off a comm to Sam:

<<@Sam [Ace] Hope Katsina has good luck with that bonfire.  I think I'm going to need it.>>
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #212 on: <05-02-15/1422:39> »

"I need to survey the area. Figure out where the defensive positions are. It will take several hours, I imagine. Does anyone want to join me? I'll only need one of you and any of you will do."

A niggling in the back of his head says that he should go - perhaps a mixture of curiosity as to Sam's behavior, or maybe a subconscious tactical decision - they could need magical support if anything happens. Or maybe he just wanted to get away from Chino for a bit - his irrationality was becoming unnerving. Doc seemed to have him under control for now, and getting away from him might prolong the amount of time before cabin fever brought things to a head.

"Count me in. Couldn't hurt to have some astral surveillance, or levitation if we need a better view at some point. And if we do come across anything awake and hungry, I'd have an easier time getting a half ton of useful meat and fur back to our camp than anyone else." He didn't mention that the last part omitted the very  likely scenario that anything hunting at this time of year was either metahuman or awakened, and his support could therefore be critical - better not to imply they might be unable to handle potential threats without him lest they take it the wrong way. And if they do run into metahumans, it might be better to avoid conflict in order to not give away their presence in the area - and his magic and social skills could be key there as well.

Yes, it was definitely a tactical decision, and nothing more.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #213 on: <05-02-15/2154:39> »
Ace, Sam, and Ohanzee gear up to scout the area. On go the gaiters, snowshoes, gloves, hats, and balaclavas.

From both maps and the immediate terrain, it's obvious that you're in a deep, forested valley. The road runs north-south, with steep inclines on each side. Ohanzee's survival instincts compel him to study the terrain, wary of the potential for avalanches. The primary concern would be if the weight of the snow increases to the point where it overcomes cohesion to the snow pack underneath. Luckily, this doesn't seem to be an immediate threat. Ohanzee doesn't see any evidence for recent avalanches, nor are there large swaths of trees that have been knocked down like matchsticks. Ohanzee knows that the trees sticking up through the snowpack can help hold the snowpack in place. The thick forest of mature evergreen trees is anchoring the slab quite effectively, from the looks of it.

The snow and ice crunch underfoot. Walking is a chore. Sam has the longest legs but also weighs the most. Even with the snowshoes, he occasionally punches through the snow and has to drag his leg out. Ohanzee weighs the least so he falls through the snow less often, but when he does his short legs make it difficult to recover. Walking with snowshoes is an awkward process, requiring a bow-ledgged stance so that the inner edge of the snowshoe doesn't clip the opposite ankle. When it does it feels like you've kicked yourself, because you have.

Thick clouds roll up and down the valley, obscuring things further. It's quite difficult to see, even with thermographic vision. Ohanzee's thermo flashlight allows him and Sam not to run into trees. Ace uses a flashlight borrowed from Chino, but it's disconcerting when your world doesn't extend beyond the pool of light ten meters in front of you. Your breath billows up and obscures your vision even further, crusting your eyelashes and eyebrows with frost.

Identifying defensive chokepoints is not difficult, as the valley channels traffic effectively. The most logical approach would be the way you came, as continuing up the valley simply leads you higher in the mountains. Maps show that this road dead-ends eventually, so there shouldn't be any ground traffic coming from that direction unless it's on foot. It's always possible that someone could drop in, but Ace knows that a vertical insertion into forested terrain would be a nightmare, and doubly so at night. Only the truly desperate would attempt it.

There is no lack of trees to use for boobytraps or neck-height fishing line. Studying the terrain with Ohanzee, Sam figures that he could set off an avalanche with a few meters of det cord, should the need arise. It would cut off your return to civilization, but it could be an effective tactic to consume interlopers, or at least to slow them down sufficiently to make your own escape into the wilderness.

A cloud passes, enveloping you with a cold, damp wind. Ohanzee has the best insulation, which is good because he has the least meat on his bones. Sam's armor has the least insulation, but his body is so large that there's much less concern about his core temperature dipping dangerously low. Plus, given his damage compensators, Sam barely feels the cold. Ace and Ohanzee wish they could say the same, but they can't.

The lap around camp is almost complete when Ace's eyes fall on a footprint. Huh, that's funny, he didn't think they had made a full circuit yet. But wait, something's amiss. It's not a snowshoe print, it's a bare metahuman footprint. Something big, with feet the size of Sam. Looking closely, he sees the the edges of it are crisp and sharp and haven't been eroded by the wind. It's brand new. He follows for a few more steps until the footprints disappear mid-stride. He spins in a circle, but there are no more footsteps within sight of what his flashlight allows him to see. A chill goes up his spine. Maybe it's just the wind, or maybe it's Katsina's spell.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #214 on: <05-02-15/2227:20> »
A footstep disappearing midstride means one thing to Ace, and that's that they must belong to something that went up. He readies his Lancer, and takes a few steps backward before mentally dictating a message to the team.

<<@Team [Ace] something's out here with us.  Metauman. Large. Barefoot. Possibly in the trees.  Sam, advise. Team check in. >>

Ace extends his cyber spur, and sweeps his flashlight toward the canopy.
« Last Edit: <05-02-15/2249:14> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #215 on: <05-03-15/1525:11> »
Ace's warning sends a chill down Ohanzee's spine, made worse by the chill from the weather. He could feel himself freezing up at the impending danger, but he forces through it for now, shifting his perception to include the astral. He'd been using his Vision sparingly - the ice was treacherous and demanded his full attention to avoid injury or worse - so the warning had found him with it inactive. Now, he took in the bright astral world, a world of daylight level brightness as the auras of countless trees and other hardy plant life, stalwartly bearing the harsh winter as many of them had for decades, illuminated the realm of spirits and magic.

[spoiler]
Assensing [Assensing 4 + Intuition 4]: 8d6t5 3
[/spoiler]

He contemplates calling a spirit to their aid, but years of living among metahumans distrustful of mages (years he could not remember, of course, but still managed to shape his insights) had taught him to show caution before relying on the less subtle displays. It was still possible that this didn't need to turn into a fight, and the arrival of a spirit would be seen as an act of aggression to any Awakened opponent - metahuman or otherwise - and the visible act of summoning would mark him as a twitch to any mundane opponent, possibly sparking a negative reaction from fear.

But Wolf's name was at his lips, astrally speaking. And, just for show, he drew his revolver from its holster and held it at low ready.
« Last Edit: <05-03-15/1528:07> by Malevolence »

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #216 on: <05-03-15/2230:05> »
Only mildly disappointed at Ohanzee's joining he and Ace, Sam decides that the dwarf's astral vision may prove useful in the task they undertake and slogs off into the snow with his two companions. He can't stop thinking about the fact that Ace and Mask were in love. For as long as he can remember, he'd never had cause to think about love, as a topic, at all. For a brief flash, back on the snowmobile with Chino, he felt like he might have, but not full thoughts about it, not until the two of them had spilled the beans about their past, thanks to Doc's help. Since then, he's thought about it a LOT and he feels rather silly for doing so. There are bigger things to worry about than why certain people want to fuck other certain people more than others!

He makes note of the area he'll need to place the detcord in, and marks it with an ARO on the map he's been creating, using his comm. Sam slows his pace a bit, allowing the dwarf and the human to catch up with him as he nears the top of a hill. Once they do, the troll hits a button on the burner comm he bought at the store, then throws it to Ace.

"This is the last one."

"The last burner, and the last time I hide anything from the group ever again. See, when I started this plan, I still didn't trust any of you to do the right thing and not sell us all out. By the time I knew that we weren't gonna fuck each other in the ass, I had already started, and I had to keep going." He takes a pause. He looks uncomfortable, but stands firm in his words. "It's not as bad as you're thinking. There were four other burners identical to that one, each with the same file on em. I've been leavin em all over the place, hoping the right person will pass it on to the right person, so on and so on." He shrugs, but continues. "I guess you guys were going for your sniper rifle approach on unloading this thing, and I decided to do more of a shotgun type thing." There is only one file on the burner. It reads;

[spoiler]<<@To whom it may concern

I know very few things, lacking even my own name or where I came from, so I won't waste time with a backstory. Such a thing wouldn't be important anyway. What is important is the fact that I have in my possession, an ancient artifact, the likes of which the world has not seen in tens of thousands of years as well as the means to destroy it with a mere thought, should I desire to. The power contained in this artifact is so great, that when I destroy it, there is a very good chance it will tear the very fabric of this world asunder with catastrophic results across all continents. I do not want to do this, but will do so without a second thought, if pressed.

What must you do to keep me from doing this? My demands are quite simple:
1- Contact either The Draco Foundation, The Atlantean Foundation, The Dunkelzahn Institute of Magical Research, or The Astral Space Preservation Society. Send them a copy of this message.
2- I want a representative from any or all of those four groups to come meet me and take this damn thing from me.

That's all there is to it. To stop the destruction of your world, all you need do is come take this foul chunk of metal from me and remove the millstone from around my neck. If you are the offended party from whom I stole it, I'll even give it back for no more a fee than an explanation of events. Fair warning though, I am heavily armed and well supported by some of the most paranoid and trigger happy killers in the world. If you attempt to take it from me by force or deception, you will die. I've killed too many already and I don't want any more blood on my hands. PLEASE make certain this message finds its way to the proper eyes.

[Uncle Sam]>>
[/spoiler]

Ace is looks up at Sam, about to react to what he's read, when suddenly, something grabs his attention. He moves backward, readying his weapon. The killbot has clearly seen something Sam hasn't, but the big troll doesn't stop to ask what. He's already moving into a predictive flanking position with Ace based on his movements, when the message pops up in his goggles.

<<@Team [Ace] something's out here with us.  Metauman. Large. Barefoot. Possibly in the trees.  Sam, advise. Team check in. >>

While crouching behind a chunk of rock, Sam pulls the Pioneer 60 from it's sling and hopes that whatever it is up in the trees, it isn't armored.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #217 on: <05-04-15/0034:27> »
<<@Team [Sam] Probably a sasquatch. They're drooks, probably just curious.>>

Ace points his flashlight up in the tree. The beam lands on a something covered in tawny orange fur. Sam and Ohanzee can see it too. What is that, a bear? A rug?

It looks at Ace with wide, frightened eyes. It emits a high-pitched signal of distress, then turns its head to look at something in the forest. It's fear reaches a crescendo, then it leaps from its perch to another tree, then another. As it flees, you can see it indeed looks like a sasquatch, an enormous humanoid not much smaller than Sam, covered in thick winter fur. It uses its long legs to propel it off the tree, then its long arms to grab target branches. Was it afraid of Ace, or something else? You spin to see what it might have been looking at.

@Ace

[spoiler]You see nothing in the trees. The branches sway in the wind, snow continues to fall, but there doesn't seem to be anything up there. You hear some snow fall out of a tree and hit the snowpack on the ground with the gentle whap of a big snowball hitting a soft target. Katsina's spell causes a tingle in the back of your head, an itch at the base of your skull that suggests something is amiss.[/spoiler]

@Sam:

[spoiler]You see nothing in the trees. The branches sway in the wind, snow continues to fall, but there doesn't seem to be anything up there. You hear some snow fall out of a tree and hit the snowpack on the ground with the gentle whap of a big snowball hitting a soft target.[/spoiler]

@Ohanzee:

[spoiler]You don't see anything with your thermographic vision. Your astral sight is a completely different story. You see three large humanoids, about the same size as the sasquatch. Two are on the ground and one is in the trees. They appear to be pursuing the fleeing sasquatch. There is hunger in their auras. They are hunters, and right now you are standing between them and their prey.[/spoiler]

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #218 on: <05-04-15/1243:00> »
Ace spins around from the fleeing Sasquatches, trying to put eyes on whatever is pursuing them.  If it's bad enough to make him want to turn around, if it's bad enough to risk turning your back on a Sasquatch, it's got to be pretty fraggin' bad.  But there's nothing there.  Nothing he can see anyway.  Ace runs his checklist.  He should be afraid, but like the run-in on the highway, he's running off of muscle memory and protocols. 

Astral security: check

Flanks: open

Front: no visibility, no contact

Rear: retreat is most likely possible

Leadership: compromised.

He pockets his flashlight to better support the Lancer, as well as ceasing to be a beacon of light himself, and crouches low.

<<Team [Ace] Sam, orders?!>>
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #219 on: <05-04-15/1604:29> »
The sight of three creatures, Awakened and astrally perceiving, causes Ohanzee to catch his breath. He immediately relays what he sees to the team.

<< @Team [Ohanzee] Two low, one high. Coming fast. We're not their quarry. >>

After marking the locations of the three he sees for the others, he turns his eyes, and his flashlight, to the one in the trees. Perhaps if they know they have lost the element of surprise, they might be less inclined to break pursuit of their existing quarry. He makes no aggressive action, nothing that might cause them to feel threatened by him, just "I see you - keep moving". He's more than acutely aware that he is the only member of the team that has not taken cover, or even a defensive crouch. Of course, as the only astrally perceiving team member within sight, it was unlikely that such things would do much good - he'd stand out like a beacon on the astral until he could completely obscure himself behind another aura.

On the plus side, he wasn't feeling cold anymore. If anything, he was sweating a little.
« Last Edit: <05-04-15/1816:51> by Malevolence »

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #220 on: <05-05-15/1633:10> »
<< @Team [Ohanzee] Two low, one high. Coming fast. We're not their quarry. >>

Checking out the ARO in his goggles, Sam puts two and two together and figures something must be chasing the sasquatches. He's torn. On one hand, he's happy these whatever they ares aren't after him, but on the other hand, he feels bad for the tree dwellers. From what little he can remember about sasquatches, he knows they're an intelligent, peace loving, gentle people who feel fear and pain just like anything else. With a resigned sigh, he makes his decision.

<<Team [Ace] Sam, orders?!>>

<<@ Team [Uncle Sam] Whatever's chasing the sasquatches, light em up. Can't have viscous woodland killers this close to our camp.>>

He strains his eyes, looking down his rifle sights up into the trees, seeking a target.
« Last Edit: <05-05-15/1842:42> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #221 on: <05-05-15/1833:56> »
There's a silence before the storm. The wind whips the snow up around you while the cold sinks through your clothes.. Will the hunters go around you or through you? Or are you a suitable substitution for the escaping sasquatch?

Ohanzee sees the hostility in the auras of the others. He can tell that the targets are all Awakened, and all about as powerful as he is.

There's a horrible screech from the forest as the attack begins.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #222 on: <05-06-15/1128:41> »
<<@ Team [Uncle Sam] Whatever's chasing the sasquatches, light em up. Can't have viscous woodland killers this close to our camp.>>

There's no questioning from Ace, no second-guessing.  He begins mentally dictating a response: <<@Team [Ace] Ack- when he feels movement in front of him.  He still can't see anything on the thermo aside from the cold air and cold snow, but Katsina's spell is doing its part, and Ace has just enough time to lean back as the Lancer is knocked from his hands.  Whatever it is, it's big, and it's strong, and it's right fucking in front of him.  Ace opens his palm and strikes forward with his right hand as hard as he can, trying to find purchase for his Shock Hand to put the invisible assailant down -- or at least slow it down some.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #223 on: <05-06-15/1326:05> »
Ace can't see whatever is coming for him. In the small patch that's visible around his flashlight there is only black and white. Black trees, black sky, white snow. Thermographically, there's just cold and more cold. If he had to rely on his own senses he would surely be mismatched. But he's not alone. He finds an invisible angel on his shoulder, whispering instructions in his ear.

Lean back, Katsina whispers. He does, and feels the rush of wind from a claw swiping downward at his face. It misses him but knocks the Lancer down.

Duck, the voice says, so he does as another swing rushes over his head.

Counter, 10 o'clock. He snaps his right hand out, palm forward, and crashes it straight into his assailant. The shock hand discharges, pumping whatever it is with thousands of volts of party time. The beast drops, creating a huge imprint in the snow as its tweaking and freaking creates an inadvertent snow angel. A snow angel. Maybe that is what's in Ace's ear.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #224 on: <05-07-15/1236:04> »
In a flash Sam is next to Ace, the full force of his body weight brought down hard into the snow.  At first, Ace can't tell if the stomp hits or not, but he sees the snow angel flinch to his right, slightly, and since he doesn't hear the sound of breaking bones, he can only figure that Sam missed.  Ace knows he can't afford to let the creature stand again, so he rears back and puts the full force of his own body weight into his shock hand, burying it in the creature's fur.  He can hear the breath intake of air, and then the crunch of snow as the creature's limbs flail about, the smell of burning hair fills his nostrils, and then the creature is still. 

One down.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal