NEWS

[SR5] Rapid draw, quick draw, and multiple attacks per action phase

• 11 Replies

MarmaladeEffect

• Newb
« on: <02-01-15/1822:34> »
I've been trying to figure out if there's a place in the 5e corebook that says, explicitly, characters can only make one attack per action phase (without a multiple attacks free action), and I can't find it. Does anyone know what page it's on?

Melee combat and all of the simple-action firing modes say they can't be combined with any other attack,  but the complex action firing modes don't include that - why put it in for some and not others? Since the Rapid Draw adept power lets a character quick-draw and fire any weapon as a free action, it seems like it would stack with a lot of the other attack actions. Then there are martial arts moves like Throw Person that do damage but may or may not be attacks.

I know this seems a bit like silly min-maxing, but as a GM, I see a definite cool factor in a character who can get a foe in a clinch, throw him against the wall, then hurl a throwing knife into his prone body, all in one smooth combo action. And I've got some clever players who are probably going to be interested in the less-awesome applications, like a two-grenades-an-action-phase street sam.

mjack

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <02-01-15/1936:17> »
I've been trying to figure out if there's a place in the 5e corebook that says, explicitly, characters can only make one attack per action phase (without a multiple attacks free action), and I can't find it. Does anyone know what page it's on?
SR5 Core Book, p. 165 - Simple Actions

Melee combat and all of the simple-action firing modes say they can't be combined with any other attack,  but the complex action firing modes don't include that - why put it in for some and not others?
Complex attack actions already require your whole action phase and I am aware of no attack action which only requires a free action. Simple attack actions would and had in former editions allowed a character to take a second simple attack action. Until the release of Street Grimoire and the introduction of the Rapid Draw adept power there had been no attack action which only required a free action. Thus, complex attack actions do not need to have this added in their descriptions.

Since the Rapid Draw adept power lets a character quick-draw and fire any weapon as a free action, it seems like it would stack with a lot of the other attack actions.
The Rapid Draw adept power makes the Quick Draw simple action (which is not an attack action) a free action. You still have to take a simple or complex attack action to fire a weapon.
I was wrong here and now understand the essence of the problem. With this power successfully used a character would have 2 single or 1 complex action left while not being able to use one of these for another attack action. RAW says no further attack actions … everything else is GM discretion.

Then there are martial arts moves like Throw Person that do damage but may or may not be attacks.
An attack action in general is every kind of action where you make use of a Combat Skill.

I know this seems a bit like silly min-maxing, but as a GM, I see a definite cool factor in a character who can get a foe in a clinch, throw him against the wall, then hurl a throwing knife into his prone body, all in one smooth combo action. And I've got some clever players who are probably going to be interested in the less-awesome applications, like a two-grenades-an-action-phase street sam.
Combat turns in SR take 3 seconds, action phases even less. Although characters might be pretty augmented it does not sound absurd if you still need 3 seconds to clinch, throw, quick draw and knife a foe in 3 action phases.
« Last Edit: <02-01-15/2025:51> by mjack »

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-01-15/1949:59> »
Actually a Quickdraw is an attack as you're attempting to draw and fire as a single action.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-01-15/1954:38> »
If the test is successful, the character draws the weapon and fires as a single Simple Action.

If the test fails, he clears the gun but cannot fire with the same action.

Clear enough to me. Presumably the "may not take any other attack actions in the same Action Phase" from the various attack actions (165-167) apply to this. (is it just me, or do the complex action attacks not have this?)

Otherwise you could take a martial art, learn throw person, and then block / throw / rapid draw fill someone with throwing knives. To do so, use R&G's optional rules.
« Last Edit: <02-01-15/1957:30> by Novocrane »

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-02-15/0912:33> »
I like the optional rule RG1 from Run & Gun p.107-p.108 as my entire Group already disliked the Limit of one attack per Turn in our Dark Heresy game and really frowned upon that Notion when the new Edition of Shadowrun came out. Also note the last sentence of that rule:
This rule has no effect on melee combat, as melee attacks require Complex Actions
which in a way Shows that maybe melee combat was meant to only utilize complex Actions?? :O.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-03-15/0334:58> »
I like the optional rule RG1 from Run & Gun p.107-p.108 as my entire Group already disliked the Limit of one attack per Turn in our Dark Heresy game and really frowned upon that Notion when the new Edition of Shadowrun came out. Also note the last sentence of that rule:
This rule has no effect on melee combat, as melee attacks require Complex Actions
which in a way Shows that maybe melee combat was meant to only utilize complex Actions?? :O.
Just as a note for you:
RG1 makes shooting as complex action obsolete. There will be no reason to ever use those options again, aside maybe from Suppressing Fire.
So for semi-automatic weapons the result will be that two bullets fired with two simple actions can have almost double the effect (or more, if the first hits) of three bullets fired per semi-automatic burst complex action. And your players will only like it until they feel the potential power of this rule brought upon themselves ;)

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-03-15/0342:45> »
whatever the Player chars can do, the NPC can do too (and sometimes even better) !
thats a Baseline in RPG ;)
combining the Weapons Damage of SR5 with the Combat Rules of SR4A is even more deadly (on the positive Side, Fights ar faster and over quicker  ;D )

with a faster Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-03-15/0346:41> »
Few things deter further combat like two 6 round bursts from a HMG a round.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-03-15/0520:41> »
I remember a scene in SR4 where four or five grunts were using simple actions to shoot at my adept ... never saw my dodge pool drop so low.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #9 on: <02-03-15/1025:17> »
Sometimes you just gotta take a hit in order to get out of Dodge.

... pun intended.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-03-15/1643:53> »
« Last Edit: <02-03-15/2356:08> by ScytheKnight »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #11 on: <02-03-15/2333:42> »
It doesn't like you.

[TEXT VERSION]Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard stands in front of the captain's chair on the bridge of the NCC-1701-D, USS Enterprise, with his arm outstretched and his hand splayed open.  An expression of exasperation, annoyance, amazement, or perplexity is upon his face; his mouth is open as if he is speaking.  At the security station on the ramp above and behind the captain's chair is Cmdr. Worf in security yellow, head tilted slightly to one side; he is not in focus. Superimposed, bottom: GIVE THAT MAN A COOKIE (sic)[/TEXT VERSION]
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.