NEWS

[5e OOC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

• 1158 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1110 on: <05-03-16/0113:56> »
Next step - Reboot all the things.

But beside that, Tecs got the game plan.

I'd like to make some tweaks to account for the release of Rigger 5 and Hard Targets. I'd already started with the Ammo Skip system in Yoki, I just didn't have a cost, so that becomes official from Hard Targets. From Rigger, I'd like to swap out my med kit rating 6 for a Valkyrie Module, add gun ports to the van, get run flat tires, add personal armor, add an antitheft system, and add a gridlink override. I'm assuming that Rigger 5 overrides martinchaen's rules, because the pilot upgrades in his houserules are  much cheaper. To fund the additions, I'd trade out my cybereyes (for optics in the ballistic mask and a pair of sun glasses) and get just the smartlink implanted. I'm also considering dropping the cyber arms and opting for Muscle replacement. I'd lose two points of Strength (becoming 4) and a point of Agility (becoming 8) in the end, but the bonus would apply to all checks (including movement), not just actions with the arms.

I don't know if our decker dabbles in rigging, so I'd also like to purchase some kanmushis and maybe an extra fly-spy with the money we got from Duncan.

Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1111 on: <05-03-16/1216:49> »
I don't know if our decker dabbles in rigging, so I'd also like to purchase some kanmushis and maybe an extra fly-spy with the money we got from Duncan.

It's much more than our rigger dabbles in decking.  Zwei should get his 37 page char sheet (!!!) up soon.

I don't have Hard Targets so you'll have to walk me through want you want to include.

Yes, Rigger 5 is legal, and we'll try going by RAW under the new rules for as long as they make sense.  I'm still trying to figure out how to do repairs.

@Tec, yes I'm referring to the below:

Area of Effect attacks
Grenades and area spells can either be aimed at an area (Simple (3) test) or aimed at a specific target (attack roll vs. defense roll.) If you aim at the area, all the targets in the blast radius can (and probably will) use the Run for Your Life interrupt action to escape the blast. If you aim at a specific target, they cannot use this interrupt action; they get their defense roll instead.

The effectiveness of flash-bang grenades and Indirect Area spells (like Fireball) will decrease with range as per a normal grenade (-1 DV per meter). This is to avoid "can't miss" attacks due to the area of effect being larger than the possible distance of the scatter.

Outline of the plan sounds good.  I'm waiting on Char Backgrounds from Zwei and Tequila, so I know how to best integrate them into the campaign, or so that Tec and Mal can know if their chars might know them.  Still going through OOC and IC posts for Karma.

ETA: Mal, I don't have any problem with the proposed char changes, btw.
« Last Edit: <05-03-16/1301:06> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1112 on: <05-03-16/1240:13> »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcsx6qo8wxggt5w/Hero%20Lab%20-%20Spitfire.pdf?dl=0

The fastest way to get decent data outta HL and onto a forum.  Their stats block is shite :(  Also, a lot of the pages in there are redundant.  I'll get a *much* shorter sheet up later today.

@Mal:  Spitfire has a luxury van for transport, and drones for weapons (the van is weapons free).  Weaponizing your van is of high value IMHO.  Lots of tactics available to us with multiple modes of transport.

Background is forth coming, since it's still not cast I'd welcome any and all feedback.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1113 on: <05-03-16/1406:21> »
It looks like Zweiblumen is going full rigger, with an RCC instead of a deck. Did we decide that we're okay with a relatively limited Matrix component to the game? I was thinking that Spitfire was going to decrypt this case for us but it sounds like we'll need to hit up an NPC for that.

I don't know how developed Spitfire's background is, but I'll just toss an idea out there. If he's an ork rigger, he could have done some smuggling for the Cascade Ork tribe. Achak grew up on Cascade Ork lands and started his career as a smuggler, so they could have some professional connection there.

@Mal, do you want to kick out an IC post to keep things moving in the direction of our stated plan while Zweiblumen and bangbang lock their sheets down?

@rednblack, what do you want to roll for the first aid test for Sister Rebecca? I don't think any of us have First Aid. The rules say to default to Intuition (not Logic) on p. 208, which seems like a typo but was not errata'd. They also say that you can just hook up the medkit and let it run by itself with a Rating*2 roll, which seems absurdly generous since that makes the medkit more effective on its own than with outside help.

I know it doesn't really matter since the character is leaving, but I'm trying to figure out how Achak reacts to the damage and the healing process.

bangbangtequila

• Omae
« Reply #1114 on: <05-03-16/1514:59> »
Where should I post up the background and text based character sheet to make it easily accessible to you fine folks?

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1115 on: <05-03-16/1632:25> »
As much as I'd like to weaponize my van, I don't have the funds to do so. Mostly I'm just shuffling around starting funds. I could maybe spare enough to throw a light weapons mount on there and mount an assault rifle, but at that point I think I'm getting more bang for the buck by throwing on the gun ports and letting the occupants shoot from the relative safety of the vehicle. Also, Mercer's big on keeping forbidden gear to what he can stuff in the van's smuggling compartment for ease of travel/border crossing. Aside from guns and ammo, the only unlicensed item he has is the Area Jammer and his smart link, both of which are forbidden, but also easy to conceal once wireless off. To arm the van would require a concealed turret, which costs 10,500¥ and availability 18F availability - more than I can afford and outside of char-gen availability. That's just the mount, and only a standard sized mount. In short, it's definitely a post char-gen purchase, so I leave it to you.

I think that rnb had mentioned that he was going to provide a 'deck, so the main limit is that Spitfire has a middling Logic and only a 1 in Hacking/Cybercombat.

As for Spitfire's character sheet, a couple things need to be clarified. One, how does rnb feel about Noisequitos? Missions play has banned them, so it seems prudent to get a GM ruling before moving ahead. Personally, I think banning them was a bit much. I think something more along the lines of limiting the modifiers (maybe to -5 or -6) and perhaps providing some diminishing returns (full penalty for the first, but only an additional -1 for each extra up to the limit) makes good sense, but there are probably better suggestions. The second is that Rigger 5.0 limits the program rating a device can run to the device rating of the device running it (device rating = pilot rating). Mercer violated this as it was allowed under martinchean's rules, but would have to change things up if we are going all in on Rigger 5.0. I'd be fine with house-ruling that particular change out, but rnb is the only one that can make that call.

Okay, I've shirked enough of my real life responsibilities for a while. Might write more later.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1116 on: <05-04-16/1132:41> »
Personally, I hate Noisequitos.  I have no plans to ban them, though, and the fact that they hurt the team as well will limit their usefulness to smart tactical situations, which are fun to play out.  Halving the total negative mods seems extreme, but imposing a -6 dice penalty to all actions is nothing to sneeze at to begin with.  Zwei, do you have anything to chime in here? 

Zwei has also said that he might prefer an Attack and Stealth Dongle on a commlink, so we may play that instead of a deck. 

I am fine with keeping martinchaen's house rule that allows higher Program Ratings.  Let's run with it.

@bangbangtequila, go ahead and post your char history here.  We'll start a new OOC and IC thread to make everything neat and tidy.

First Aid should default to LOG.  Medkit Rating X 2 is fine for trying to heal the good sister.  I will take a roll there at your convenience, Tec. 

And also, yes I'm fine with a limited tech component, and going full rigger for Zwei's char.  The encrypted file is a headache, so I'm still trying to figure out how best to proceed there.  I'm loathe to go all hand-of-God and just hand-wave it, as I'd like th dice to decide how much of the info you guys get, but considering that the case was severely damaged, maybe that can decide what is and what is not available.  I'm all for accepting thoughts on this matter.

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1117 on: <05-04-16/1239:29> »
I was just looking for some useful tiny drones to stick in the rack on the van.  I'm open to other ideas on the slot (or dropping it entirely).  Really hadn't planned on using them all that much.  Super useful in a GTFO option.  Have them swarm and act as cover.  Add in another drone laying down suppressive fire and it makes for pretty good layered escape coverage.  He might need to get swarm software for that to work properly, but that's not that big of a deal to swap around.

Do we know the encryption rating on the files?  Spitfire has a, probably just, good enough Computer skill to find the rating.  The same applies for a Data Bomb if there's one on there.  With edge he'll have a not horrible chance against up to a rating 4 protection/bomb rating.  The bomb worries me more, as that's a 1 chance.  Cracking the file he can work at it with some time and eventually crack it, bombs less so.

That said, Spitfire is *not* a decker.  He has a few skills and has the makings to be an average one eventually if he devoted the time and energies.  What he's good at is driving and running drones :)

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1118 on: <05-04-16/1302:52> »
@Tec - I'll throw some words at the screen a bit later and see if they can't coalesce into some sort of IC. Probably going to be a busy day at work, so it may not happen until late evening my time (after the tiny human has gone to bed).

bangbangtequila

• Omae
« Reply #1119 on: <05-04-16/1325:08> »
A thought for a magical house ruling occurs. Can we do away with the limit on low force spirit summoning? The way the rules work now, despite throwing a 15 dice pool, I'm going to auto-fail 1/3 attempts, and can never, ever wind up with more then one service. It seems silly that a powerful mage is more able to harness the powers of force 6 spirits then force 1s.

An easy fix would be to apply your astral limit or the Force of the spirit, whichever is higher. That would allow low force spirits to actually be useful.

Also, armour stacking rules. Full Body armour? Fine. Helmet? Nope that helmet weighs you down like a giant magnet would bog down a juggernaut costume. Don't get me wrong, things like Securitech PPP gear totally make sense. You can't slap some hockey gear on top of armour plating and not take some mobility issues. This isn't an overly big issue, I can just put on a ballistic mask instead, which actually fits with the armoured jacket a little better. Just doesn't make sense to me. Next post, background!

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1120 on: <05-04-16/1333:44> »
So, medkits.

Achak has an R2 medkit. Mercer has medkit supplies but no medkit that I can see. (Having gear under the spoiler tag means I can't use my browser's Find function, so I may have overlooked it.)

Ages ago - almost exactly a year - I asked if I could pinch some things from Stake's apartment. Rednblack never gave an answer on that, but for our current purposes I'm going to pretend like Achak at least took the R6 medkit if nothing else.

Medkit: Rating 6 + Rating 6 - Average Conditions 1 - Awakened 2: 9d6t5 6 hits, woo

Threshold is 2, so Sister Rebecca heals 4 boxes. That brings her down to 3S + 3P.

Sister Rebecca casting Heal @ F3 on herself: Magic 6 + Spellcasting 2 + Health Spec 2 - Wounds 2: 8d6t5 2 hits

Soaking 2 drain: Willpower 7 + Charisma 4: 11d6t5 3 hits, no drain

That leaves Sister Rebecca with 3S + 1P. Pretty good, all told. Achak will feel much better about her condition.

As for the encryption, if we want to include some randomness about how much data is recovered then I like the idea of the damage to the case determining what's available (rather than an NPC decryption roll). Call the case Reinforced Material (p. 197). Roll Structure 8 + Armor 12 - AP 2 = 18 dice vs. 16P damage. Unsoaked boxes degrade the data by percentage proportionate to the case's condition monitor. Or make something else up.

bangbangtequila

• Omae
« Reply #1121 on: <05-04-16/1519:00> »
[spoiler]Flickr is a relatively tall, slim elf, his lack of muscle off-set by the whipcord lean tone his years of service in the special forces of his house had forged in him. He keeps his dark blonde hair trimmed neatly, and the light, ruddy goatee precisely clipped as well. He does tend towards dark earth tones, though his dislike of the corporate world keeps him predominantly in the sort of areas his drab style and knee-length beige coat blend in quite well. He carries his remington openly, and his knife hidden horizontally in the small of his back. He still favours the high-laced boots common among armed forces, usually in a demure but well-worn grey.

He walks with an easy grace, shoulders loose but back straight. His eyes tend to shift a great deal, but it is the observant flicking of someone always alert rather then the nervous darting of a bird that flew into a building. He usually skips physical contact with folks, ignoring things like handshakes and fist bumps, acknowledging any overly insistent attempts with a more pointed arch of his eyebrow. He has a great respect for personal space, and will subtly shift himself away from anyone who gets closer then about a meter.

Flickr's personality is relatively cold, his old profession leaving the long drilled habits of seclusion and furtiveness deeply ingrained, and the sudden transition to the unpleasantly corporate world of the UCAS only made him more prone to keeping to himself. He's still got some of that natural elf charm, and slips into the easy camaraderie during runs fairly quickly, even with a new group, though he has gotten into some trouble standing up for his beliefs.[/spoiler]

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1122 on: <05-04-16/1930:38> »
Medkits:
Mercer has an R6, but it is going away in favor of a Valkyrie Module in the van. So, either way, we have R6 worth of medkit.

Summoning:
From the house rules on page 1 of this thread:
For Summoning, the limit is the spirit's force or the summoner's astral limit, whichever is higher (JackVII's house rule).

Armor Stacking:
You should always be able to wear a mask if that is the only armor accessory you are stacking. You don't suffer a penalty until the total AV form accessories is two higher than your Strength attribute. Since the minimum Str rating is 1 and you don't suffer a penalty until you reach 1+2=3, you can always handle 2 AV of accessories, which is exactly what a mask provides. So, wear any armor you want and a mask and you are good to go. If you are wearing some variety of Full Body armor with the accompanying helmet, then you suffer a penalty if you don't have a str of at least 2. But you are wearing FULL BODY ARMOR. The penalty seems well earned at that point.
« Last Edit: <05-04-16/1938:29> by Malevolence »

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1123 on: <05-04-16/1950:07> »
@mal: if you've got the skills to use it, keep the kit as it's more mobile than the van.  In case we need to get to someone who can't get to the vehicle.  I made SF as standard chargen, bumping that to prime-runner is giving me more room to play and I can put a valkyrie in SF's van.  Plus a rating 6 med kit is ¥500 cheaper.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1124 on: <05-04-16/2011:49> »
Updated crunch for Spitfire.  Still working on the 20qs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcsx6qo8wxggt5w/Hero%20Lab%20-%20Spitfire.pdf?dl=0
Link is the same, but it's a manageable 6 pages :P

He's got a stealth and attack dongle and upped his cyberattack and hacker skills so he's at 6 dice now or 9 with pre-edge.  Should be able to crack up to a rating 4 encryption with pre-edge sooner or later.  Might take him a week ;) but more likely just a day or two.