NEWS

Run Faster Errata

• 288 Replies

Orudeon

• Newb
« Reply #75 on: <08-15-15/1442:44> »
P.  400, SR5 Core rule book:
"Regeneration is incompatible with augmentations. Critters with Regeneration cannot receive augmentations; surgical incisions close too quickly to perform the implantation. Critters with augmentations who gain this power will reject their augmentations as the power repairs the existing genetic template."

P. 134, Run Faster
"Infected characters can generally accept augmentations, though of course they need to be aware of their balance of Magic and Essence, as well as Magic loss from any Essence loss. Infected with the Regeneration quality need high-quality augmentations to keep their body from pretty much spitting the augmentation out, meaning they can only accept deltaware augmentations."

P. 135, Run Faster
"Note that any Infected with the Regeneration power must deal with the restrictions listed with that power (see p. 400, SR5)."

A limitation of Regeneration is that they cannot receive augmentations, but p. 134 directly contradicts that. So which is it? In my game I rule that Infected with Regeneration can get deltaware-quality cyber/bioware, considering those are designed to meld with the recipient as much as possible. I don't think it's a carryover from SR4, since SR4: Runners Companion words it less verbosely.

P. 77-78, SR4 Runners Companion
"Infected with the Regeneration power may only accept deltaware implants."

If it were a careless copy/paste, additional text wouldn't have been added.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #76 on: <08-16-15/1911:39> »
Savign for later so I won't forget to address this when I have more time....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #77 on: <08-19-15/1409:49> »
Some things from this thread that are changed / fixed in the German "Schattenläufer":

Disclaimer: Some of the stuff might be mistranslated into english by me.

- Point buy, p. 64

Point buy is called "Karmasystem" in German :-P

Qualities can be bought for their "basic cost", I assume that means not doubled

You get your free points for knowledge / langauage skills and connections

- Life modules "finishing"

You get your free points for knowledge / langauage skills and connections

- Metatype Attributes, p. 104

Hobgoblin does not have "Extravagant eyes"

Cyclopean has infrared vision

Dwarf and troll lifecycle cost increase is inherited by their metavariants

- Shapeshifter Attributes, p. 105

Last three colums are EDG, MAG, INI

- Random Metagenetic Qualities, p. 108

If you roll a qualitiy that you already have or that's incompatible with what you already have or does not fit into your surge-class, you reroll until you get something that fits.

- Basic Cyberdeck Programs Pack, p. 248

Common programs: All 7
Hacking programs: Baby monitor, Decryption, Sneak, Stealth, Wrapper
Toolkit (Software)

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #78 on: <08-20-15/1747:06> »
P.  400, SR5 Core rule book:
"Regeneration is incompatible with augmentations. Critters with Regeneration cannot receive augmentations; surgical incisions close too quickly to perform the implantation. Critters with augmentations who gain this power will reject their augmentations as the power repairs the existing genetic template."

P. 134, Run Faster
"Infected characters can generally accept augmentations, though of course they need to be aware of their balance of Magic and Essence, as well as Magic loss from any Essence loss. Infected with the Regeneration quality need high-quality augmentations to keep their body from pretty much spitting the augmentation out, meaning they can only accept deltaware augmentations."

P. 135, Run Faster
"Note that any Infected with the Regeneration power must deal with the restrictions listed with that power (see p. 400, SR5)."

A limitation of Regeneration is that they cannot receive augmentations, but p. 134 directly contradicts that. So which is it? In my game I rule that Infected with Regeneration can get deltaware-quality cyber/bioware, considering those are designed to meld with the recipient as much as possible. I don't think it's a carryover from SR4, since SR4: Runners Companion words it less verbosely.

P. 77-78, SR4 Runners Companion
"Infected with the Regeneration power may only accept deltaware implants."

If it were a careless copy/paste, additional text wouldn't have been added.
It was not a careless copy/paste, especially since I didn't copy and paste any of that when I was writing it. It was, however, a tacit admission than I had to reverse a position I'd taken, and even then it involved me being on the receiving end of some arm-twisting.

When I wrote "Sleeping With the Enemy" in Storm Front, I'd reached a point where I knew that Infected PCs were here to stay, but I was tired of the sparkling I was seeing in the rules for the aforementioned Infected PCs, and which I had seen discussed online. The biggest problem I had there was the notion of the Infected with Regeneration being able to take cyber and bio modifications, which flew in the face of (at the time the rules were written) about a decade and a half of canon.

So in Storm Front, I thought I'd fix that and make Regeneration and augmentations incompatible, as they had been for many years before that. By then, I had gotten the chance to write critters and critter power for Shadowrun Fifth Edition, so I had the chance to codify that.

Victory, it seemed, was mine. But wait, there's more....

My co-conspirator in "Into the Night" in Run Faster, and one of my better friends in the gaming/writing community, is Kevin Czarnecki. He has no problem with Infected PCs, and has the novel to prove it (it's called Crimson, if you've not read it yet, and it's an amazing read...and I'm not just saying that because Kevin's my friend, either). He was willing to follow my lead on the rules; even if he didn't entirely agree with my harsh stand on Infected PCs.

I was reminded by my developer, though, that there's this thing called "backwards compatibility" that I had somewhat completely abandoned when I didn't make it possible for Infected PCs to have delta-grade augmentations. In fact, my initial draft may have reiterated the "No augmentation" policy espoused in the SR5 core rulebook (which might need to be getting some errata in light of the Run Faster decision; we'll see how that shakes out), but I don't remember off the top of my head.

I do know I fought the decision, but ultimately it wasn't my call and I capitulated. On a certain level, I know it was the right call, but in spite of that, I still think I was right.

Bottom line: Infected PCs deal with Regeneration with the modifications shown in Run Faster. There is, in my eyes, a certain amount of conflict with the wording of the power that needs to see some errata at some point, but it's not, ultimately, a huge deal. Infected PCs in SR5 can, like their counterparts in SR4, get delta-grade cyber.

But I don't have to like it.
« Last Edit: <08-21-15/1732:03> by Patrick Goodman »
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #79 on: <08-20-15/1801:43> »
I think it makes sense that that the infected shouldn't be able to get ware. They're magical, and magic doesn't like tech. Its thematic that being a vamp means you can't have chrome. Also, the infected have alternative progression now with the ability to buy infected powers.

But at the same time, rule of cool kicks in and having a cyberzombie vampire is really awesome and is so uniquely Shadowrun.

Orudeon

• Newb
« Reply #80 on: <08-21-15/1700:28> »
Thanks for your detailed response, Patrick!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #81 on: <08-21-15/2010:34> »
No Patrick, I agree.

Kick the "sprinkle and glitter" infected to the curb!

Never agreed with the 4e decision of cyber for infected :(
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

HaikenEdge

• Chummer
« Reply #82 on: <09-30-15/1948:37> »
2. Private Eye. " You may not pick this module until you have completed a Tour of Duty, Law Enforcement, Covert Operations, Shadow Work, or Corporate module." I would suggest that the "Government Agent" module should have been included in this list as it makes no sense for it not to be included.
In addition, is there a reason why Street Magic isn't included the list of prerequisite life modules? Shadow Work basically specifies the Street Magic life module is the magically-equivalent module, and the Occult Investigator sub-module seems like it would fit into what a Private Investigator/Detective would need, in terms of skill set.

viashno

• Newb
« Reply #83 on: <10-05-15/1406:39> »
[Run Faster pg 221] Garage - setting the split for the vehicle body at 4. According to this category, the dodge scoot and medium drones are in one category of car, and everything from a Growler to a Roadmaster is in the next. The split should be between 14 and 15, which is where vehicles go from fitting in a standard garage (light trucks and smaller) to things that need some special considerations (limos, delivery vans, etc.).

HaikenEdge

• Chummer
« Reply #84 on: <10-26-15/1737:11> »
The paint gun in the "Buying the Basics" section... What's the accuracy on that?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #85 on: <11-04-15/0615:40> »
Wouldn't that be improvised weaponry, so 3?
« Last Edit: <11-29-15/1732:34> by PiXeL01 »
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #86 on: <12-26-15/1828:41> »
Is the previous edition forbiddence of cyberware for metasapients gone?

It's not mentioned anywhere, is that an oversight or a deliberate change?

Really, there seems to be a stark lack of actual rules governing metasapients beyond the few charts. Like a chapter was left out.

-k

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #87 on: <01-04-16/1915:53> »
Right so this is something I just noticed. I'm putting together a group lifestyle for one of my games and came across something... well... typical. P218-219 is talking about the stun damage you need to resist depending on the level of Comforts and Necessities. It goes into a lot of detail about how you total up the amount of Stun damage to be resisted, it just doesn't tell you what to roll!

Quote from: Run Faster P218-219
COMFORTS & NECESSITIES
Comforts & Necessities are an integral part of any lifestyle. If a shadowrunner doesn’t get a good night’s rest and a belly full of nutrient-added soy, he’ll eventually end up at the morgue. This is because of the possibility of fatigue damage (p. 172, SR5). At the beginning of most game sessions, characters roll to resist fatigue damage, simulating how much rest they have been able to get in their quarters. Characters do not, however, have to make this roll if the new session directly continues an adventure from the previous one and they have not had a chance to rest in whatever domicile is part of their lifestyle. Base Fatigue damage that characters must resist is 6S. For each level in the Comforts & Necessities category, reduce the DV by 2.

Additional factors may affect the damage the character must resist. For example, having allergies can be a hassle, especially food allergies where choices are limited. Allergies to things found in the environment (such as pollution, ultraviolet rays, plastic, etc.) increase the Fatigue damage characters must resist by 1 per level above mild for common allergies and 1 per level above moderate for uncommon allergies if the Comforts & Necessities category of the lifestyle is level three or lower. Allergies to foods can be problematic, as some special dietary requirements may not be available in all lifestyles. Allergies to common foodstuffs (soy, mycoprotein, etc.) also increase the fatigue damage value by 1 per level above mild if the Comforts & Necessities category of the lifestyle is level 3 or lower. For uncommon allergies, the damage value increases by 1 if the allergy is Severe, 2 if it is Extreme.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #88 on: <01-04-16/2031:59> »
It's Fatigue damage, so Body + Willpower.

Quote from: SR5 Core, p 172
FATIGUE DAMAGE

Fatigue damage is Stun damage you incur through doing something strenuous or for being in the middle of something stressful. It’s caused by harsh environments, hard exertion, and drek like that. Fatigue damage is resisted with Body + Willpower, not with any armor. Fatigue damage cannot be healed while the condition causing it still exists.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #89 on: <01-04-16/2230:39> »
Can a mundane troll become a mutaqua if using point buy? The 54 Karma cost only seems to stop them from being rules-legal in Priority or Sum to Ten, but the creation rules for infected call them out as only being available if taking a magic talent.

Register