NEWS

Compiled Build Guide Thread

• 5 Replies

zdog234

• Newb
« on: <12-17-14/2357:52> »
Unsure if this belongs in this forum, but here goes: The official DND 4e forums had a thread that compiled all of the *good* character creation guides into nice lists. I'm probably not the one to do it, being a newb and all, but if there's one that exists I'd like to know. If not, I'd be willing to put in work compiling (preferably under the watchful eye of someone with more experience).

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <12-18-14/0026:06> »
The issue you're going to run into is that there are no "good builds" for Shadowrun characters.  Because there are no classes, there are no limits to what you can do.  And because a lot of house rules exist, the dynamics for game balance can change dramatically from one table to the next.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <12-18-14/0033:49> »
Pretty much what Namikaze said.

There are archetypes, which are general roles that people can fit in to, but honestly there is no "best" build. There are different flavors that are all roughly equivalent, but no best one. For example, you could have 20 (drastically or subtly) different Street Samurai builds that are all good, viable, and fun to play. Ditto with Face (in fact, you could have many more, due to mundane, adept, magician, and mystic adept builds). The same is true for pretty much every build.

Honestly, the best thing to do is post a sheet, and people will help critique and improve upon it. If you are confused about where to start, think about a concept, and search this subforum for a similar build. That might give you some ideas.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #3 on: <12-18-14/0243:19> »
Shadowrun is, imo, the ultimate "bring a character concept, any concept" game. Want to build Robocop, Neo, morpheus, Gandalf, judge dredd, or Darth Vader? You can do that in shadowrun. Want all of these in one group? No problem. Yes, there are some basic types of characters, but there is no real best way to build a character. I suggest that you dig into these forums, because there is much discussion of characters that has already been posted here, and ask questions as needed to clarify your understanding.
And welcome to the shadows. Just remember that incoming fire has the right of way.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-18-14/0346:08> »
Take a look here:
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18929.0

It is an effort by Csjarrat to provide tips for starters and how to accentuate strengths for the different archetypes.

SquirrelDude

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-22-14/0846:53> »
The issue you're going to run into is that there are no "good builds" for Shadowrun characters.  Because there are no classes, there are no limits to what you can do. 
I agree here. However, I think having some general guides showing the basic information on how certain archetypes work. The game does let you know their are archetypes, and those archetypes could then be broken down into categories of awakened/augmented/mundane, etc, so something could be done there. You could also do  example builds for "X Role, X Skill focused, Adept/augmented character." It's difficult, but I don't think it's impossible to do general guides.

And because a lot of house rules exist, the dynamics for game balance can change dramatically from one table to the next.
This is true of every TTRPG ever printed (even more complex ones like D&D 3.5), that doesn't change the fact that there is a RAW baseline for all of them. Of course 5e has some editing issues and some clear RAW-RAI contradictions that make that baseline very murky.

But honestly, I'm less interested in specific builds threads. I'd be more interested in seeing something like a pinned topic, or some kind of central hub thread where all such character building guides could go. As someone new to Shadowrun, it's hard to know where to look for that kind of information, let alone what I want to be looking for. Particularly, I've found information on Technomancers hard to come by. Having a type that central hub would be very useful.
« Last Edit: <12-22-14/0849:21> by SquirrelDude »
"normal speech"
"under your breath"
thought
Astral
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
" translated foreign language" (Foreign Language)