NEWS

Shadowrun Player Survey

• 20 Replies

UnbreakableJustice

• Newb
« on: <11-18-14/0807:25> »
Hello!

My name is Mary Penny and I'm doing a research paper on the community of people who play D&D, Shadowrun, ect.; for my English paper final. I need people to fill out a short survey and shed some light onto the subject of why this style of gaming isn't as popular as their computer companions or video games. If you could fill this out, I'd be eternally grateful! If you want to share more on your opinion or experiences, feel free to post them here. The more data the merrier.

I will not be using anyone's real name, I'll only use your username if you say that it is okay to do so in your post. If you only answer the survey, it is entirely invisible as to who you are - but please take it seriously.

Thanks a ton for whatever you can give! Your views and experiences on the subject are extremely helpful.

http://goo.gl/forms/iPYUjuxxKH
You can fill this out without a Google form, so don't worry about having to create an account.
« Last Edit: <11-18-14/1545:19> by UnbreakableJustice »

JD

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <11-18-14/0909:54> »
The survay states

"Tabletop Games
Please fill this out if you don't play any of these games."

The people who read this forum are probably all actively playing, have played and plan on playing again or desperately wish they had someone to play tabletop games with. Thus, you're not going to get a lot of answers from this crowd. (I only found out after writing an eloquent exposé about the superiority of the species Homo Sapiens Nerdius, gorram it!)
""Just ignore the rules" seems to be the consistent take I get on this forum" 
-Typhus

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #2 on: <11-18-14/1004:55> »
Except maybe D&D bashing since we all play SR
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <11-18-14/1135:57> »
shed some light onto the subject of why this style of gaming isn't as popular as their computer companions or video games.

Hello Mary.  Are you trying to figure out why sales for pen-and-paper roleplaying games are not as significant?  Or are you trying to find evidence to support a claim that the pen-and-paper community would rather play video games?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

UnbreakableJustice

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <11-18-14/1546:39> »
The survay states

"Tabletop Games
Please fill this out if you don't play any of these games."

Thanks for catching that, I accidently linked it to the second half of the survey, it should be the correct one now!

UnbreakableJustice

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-18-14/1548:27> »
Hello Mary.  Are you trying to figure out why sales for pen-and-paper roleplaying games are not as significant?  Or are you trying to find evidence to support a claim that the pen-and-paper community would rather play video games?

I'm attempting to figure out why the community of pen-and-paper RPGs are not as significant to their video game counterparts.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #6 on: <11-18-14/1606:30> »
Ahh, okay - the context of the survey makes much more sense now.  I was not aware you had two surveys going, one pro pen-and-paper and one anti pen-and-paper.  Very logical.  :)
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Backgammon

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <11-18-14/1719:29> »
I am assuming this is high school-level english paper, so I'm taking it as such, but perhaps this is a good time for you to learn about confirmation bias. I would encourage you to research it, this paper can be a good learning experience for you beyond just the actual writing of it.
My Shadowrun Pinterest collections: Landscape and Characters
My Shadowrun works

Killstring

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <11-18-14/1831:03> »
Hey Mary!

Took your survey, tried to leave useful advice. Having just finished my master's thesis, I'm probably a little wordy in the qualitative entries. Hope it's useful in your project! :D

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-19-14/0146:45> »
Done! Hope we are helping!

Will you be able to share you findings with us? Or perhaps even share the paper when you done? I'm curious what you turn this all into :)
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

JD

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <11-19-14/0530:56> »
And done.
""Just ignore the rules" seems to be the consistent take I get on this forum" 
-Typhus

$/@mm-0!

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <11-19-14/1123:24> »
Interesting, and done.  ;D
$/@mmZ3r0

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <11-19-14/1203:21> »
Done. Hope it helps.   :)
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

MAC

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <11-19-14/1442:38> »
There is only that few questions ? How many games we play and how much we spend on it annually ?

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-19-14/1450:11> »
There is only that few questions ? How many games we play and how much we spend on it annually ?

yup, i gather it is either a small paper, or this quiz is but a small segment of the data used for the paper or that table top gaming is but a small portion of the paper. That's why im curious as to the papers final form
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"