NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1920 on: <05-06-15/1746:21> »
Sam is gonna move toward #1 and quickly stomp his head before he stops twitching

Stomp it while it's down. (Agi 9 + Unarmed 3 + advantageous position 2): 14d6t5 2

Hahahaa! Okeedokee! :)

How's that go?

On a related note, by your count, you've got me at 2 of 4 edge, right?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1921 on: <05-06-15/1845:06> »
I neglected to tell you to add +2 to attack due to the RG2 optional rule of target size affecting attack pools.

Sam bonus dice: +2 size bonus: 2d6t5 0 hits

#1 defend: Defense 10 - Prone 2 - Damage 3 - Electricity 1: 4d6t5 2

And so a dice pool of 4 overcomes a dice pool of 16.

Attacking Sam: 6 hits + 1 hit from dice I forgot = 7 hits (limit 13)

This is a good time to discuss Edge. Edge refreshed while sleeping at the safehouse. Doc spent 3 or 4 points of Edge during the failed hacks at the hospital but nobody else has spent any since then. As such, Sam has 4 full points.

Sam didn't score any net hits on his Perception test versus #2 so he is technically unaware for this attack. I might casually suggest that Sam would not enjoy an unresisted 7-hit attack and so may wish to spend some Edge. Ohanzee could use the Lucky Duck ability (p. 126, Run & Gun) to warn Sam and make the attack miss, but doing so is very expensive (2 points of Edge for Ohanzee). Alternatively, Sam could pay 1 point of Edge to use the Sixth Sense ability to buy himself a defense test. Of course, 7 hits is a tall mountain to climb, especially when your base defense pool is 9, but every little bit helps. Sam would still be able to spend Edge on the defense test itself (i.e. it wouldn't be a case of spending Edge twice on the same test).

Manabolting Ohanzee: 4 hits

Don't forget to add Counterspelling to your defense test.

To Do / Next
Sam defense + soak
Ohanzee defense + soak
Ohanzee's turn
Ace's turn

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1922 on: <05-06-15/1908:00> »
Alternatively, Sam could pay 1 point of Edge to use the Sixth Sense ability to buy himself a defense test. Of course, 7 hits is a tall mountain to climb, especially when your base defense pool is 9, but every little bit helps. Sam would still be able to spend Edge on the defense test itself (i.e. it wouldn't be a case of spending Edge twice on the same test).

That's sounds great. Where IS the sixth sense ability anyways? I can't find it. I wanna read it first and make sure i know what i'm doing here.

"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1923 on: <05-06-15/1912:41> »
Same page (p. 126) of Run & Gun. You basically spend a point of Edge to get a Defense test in situations where you wouldn't otherwise get one. Our scenario here is an excellent example.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1924 on: <05-06-15/2001:51> »
Here goes nothin!

Sixth sense (Rea 6 + Int 3): 9d6t5 4

ok, so i knocked 4 hits off, leaving him with three, right?

so, how much am i soaking?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1925 on: <05-06-15/2002:41> »
Blowing my whole load on this defense in hopes that I won't have a wound modifier for my first action:
Defense against Manabolt [WIL 6 + Counterspelling 5]: 11d6t5 1
Suck. Taking 3. Paying the 5 Initiative to CS since I don't have a free action to spare.

Summoning Beast Spirit:
Summon Wolf Spirit (F6, w/Centering) [Magic 6 + Summoning 6 + Focus 3]: 15d6t5 6
A good start
Summoning Resist [Force 6]: 6d6t5 1
Very good!
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 2]: 14d6t5 5
No drain! Loving Rank 2 initiate giving me 2 dice for Centering!
Oh, I forgot - I lose one die on the summoning attempt due to my wound modifier:
Oops die: 1d6t5 1
Ahhh. I lose a hit. He owes me 4 services. Powers are Venom and Natural Weapon
Spirits Initiative:
Wolf's Astral Initiative [12 + 3d6 - 10 for showing up after start of CT]: 3d6+2 14
Now, free action - command Wolf to Attack! (the one who just attacked me).
Since they are dual natured, he's going to attack them on the astral:
Wolf's Fear [WIL 6 + MAG 6]: 12d6t5 6
I'll take it. Target resists with WIL + LOG.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1926 on: <05-06-15/2052:25> »
Poindexter
Correct, you knocked off 4 hits. That leaves you to soak 15P, -1 AP. I believe you have 28 dice to soak:

Body 10 + Body 3 (Titanium Bone Lacing) + Armor Jacket 12 + Armor 3 (Titanium Bone Lacing) + Troll Dermal Plating 1 - 1 AP = 28

You have 16 points of armor, modified to 15 by AP. The attack strength equals that so damage it will remain P instead of switching to S. This seems to be one of the few cases in the rules where a tie goes to the attacker. (Also, I can never ever remember which way it breaks and have to look it up every time.) See p. 168 of SR5.

If you use Edge post-roll then (statistically) you should be able to soak all of the damage. (9 hits on the first roll, on average, plus another 6 from an Edge reroll.)

Malevolence
Two issues: first, Ohanzee doesn't have a Free Action to command Wolf because Centering is a Free Action. Second, and more problematic, Command Spirit is actually a Simple Action per p. 165. We were using Free Actions in the previous encounter because Wolf was already engaged (i.e. had already been commanded) and was busy running around biting people, so I figured a Free Action was reasonable to instruct Wolf who to bite next.  Yes, this does mean that summoners cannot summon and command in the same initiative pass. You can blame Ryo for Ohanzee's Combat Paralysis.

CT1 IP2
Wolf 4 (chillin)
Ace 4
Sam 3
#2 & #3

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1927 on: <05-07-15/0110:25> »
Free: held
Complex: Shock a downed critter -- superior position: 15d6t5 6

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1928 on: <05-07-15/0127:48> »
Bah. I don't think I ever realized that Centering was a Free action. But yeah, I do remember now that commanding is a Simple. I probably should have went for a Reckless Conjure. Next time.

Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1929 on: <05-07-15/0447:18> »
rednblack
It only has 3 dice to defend, so it's bacon.

I rolled offline for convenience and got 0 hits. I also rolled 2 dice for your touch-only attack and 2 more for it being a large target. Those added 3 more hits. That makes for 18S(e) worth of fun.

Rolled 2 hits to soak, so that's 16S. That KOs and takes it 7 boxes into Physical. The scent of charred hair is gross.

Rednblack, go ahead and IC post the barbecue. You might allude to Sam's missed stomp. I'm hoping Poindexter and Malevolence will IC post their attacks/defending when they get a chance.

Sam is next at Initiative 3 but first we need to resolve his soak.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1930 on: <05-07-15/1612:46> »
Soak a bunch: 28d6t5 11

fuck it, I'll TAKE that roll as is and eat 4 boxes with a smile. :)

Can I see the one that just hit me? Assuming I can, I'm kicking it in the knee.

Kick the thing in the knee (Agi 9 + unarmed 3): 12d6t5 4

ugh.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1931 on: <05-07-15/1701:38> »
Perception is one of my least favorite things to figure out, given the various senses and the modifiers that each of them have individually. Presumably taste doesn't apply here but theoretically the rest of them do.

You didn't take the +2 large target bonus, which for simplicity's sake I will say offsets any negative modifier from not having a good bead on the target.

And don't ugh over 4 hits; that's the expected roll for your dicepool.

Dodging kick to the knee: 1 hit, that's a legitimate ugh

Base damage is 11P, staged up to 14P with net hits.

Soaking: 5 hits, CRUNCH

Net damage is 9P, which probably implies some broken bones and lacerated arteries.

Poindexter, go ahead and IC post it. I'm behind at work so I'll tackle the next actions later today.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1932 on: <05-07-15/1805:58> »
Perception is one of my least favorite things to figure out, given the various senses and the modifiers that each of them have individually. Presumably taste doesn't apply here but theoretically the rest of them do.

You didn't take the +2 large target bonus, which for simplicity's sake I will say offsets any negative modifier from not having a good bead on the target.

And don't ugh over 4 hits; that's the expected roll for your dicepool.

Dodging kick to the knee: 1 hit, that's a legitimate ugh

Base damage is 11P, staged up to 14P with net hits.

Soaking: 5 hits, CRUNCH

Net damage is 9P, which probably implies some broken bones and lacerated arteries.

Poindexter, go ahead and IC post it. I'm behind at work so I'll tackle the next actions later today.

Is it knocked down?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1933 on: <05-07-15/1825:05> »
No, crazily enough. It's Physical limit is 13, and the auto-knockdown threshold is 10, which it just barely missed.

#2 suffers a wound modifier that removes its remaining initiative, so it loses its second IP.

Forgot the drain soak earlier. 3 hits, no drain

Summoning: 2 hits
Spirit resist: 2 hits, nope
Soaking 4 drain: 3 hits, 1 box of stun

That's the end of CT1.

Next
IC posts for Sam and Ohanzee
Everyone roll your initiative for CT2. Go ahead and post your intentions plus your rolls too, as I'm doubting that they'll beat you on initiative.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1934 on: <05-07-15/1828:28> »
Next
IC posts for Sam and Ohanzee
Everyone roll your initiative for CT2. Go ahead and post your intentions plus your rolls too, as I'm doubting that they'll beat you on initiative.

IC post up.

Initiative: 2d6+9 16
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english