NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1785 on: <03-26-15/1923:54> »
Doc seemed very focused on risk/reward in terms of payout (not information or other intangibles) in his IC. While he was motivated to survive the encounter, he was searching for the largest possible payout even if it entailed additional risk. He was opposed to simply dumping it for a fraction of its value and washing his hands of the whole business. He wanted to get enough money up front to set up a new life rather than (safely) dumping the item for a pittance and relying on the team's skills and each other to provide security and answers going forward. While money makes setting up a new life easier, we are fully capable of starting anew without it, but that seemed an option that Doc was strongly against entertaining.

I gotta disagree that we are fully capable of starting anew without money.  But if you've a plan for that, Doc would be happy to listen to it.  He's pretty smart and came to the conclusion that 5-6k would leave him dead in the morning.  To be clear, and I hope I fixed that with the last IC post, he doesn't care about bottom line money, he doesn't need to retire off of this situation.  Just get out of it alive.  And a fence isn't going to cut it.

For Ohanzee, he wants to use the exchange as a way to advertise to all interested parties that they no longer have the item and any income is entirely incidental. Simply dumping it over a ravine would be an option except that people would still be coming after all of us hard to try to get the item. If we sell it to another party and make the transaction public enough that all parties know we no longer have it, they might still want to kill us, but they would have a harder time justifying ridiculous resources to it. And really, in the short term, they'd have to divert their resources to recovering it from whoever we sold it to, a likely more expensive prospect, leaving them with little to throw at us for a short while, giving us some breathing room to vanish and start anew. As Tec continually states, the less we ask, the less likely their cost/benefit calculation shifts toward geek the runners and steal the item. Giving it away isn't off the table, but it is likely that we won't be taken seriously unless we ask for something. A million seemed like a nice starting bid, but if some neutral fixer is willing to throw 100 grand our way for it, no questions asked, Ohanzee would consider it if he felt those pursuing them would turn their attention to negotiating with the fixer and leave them alone for a bit.
Doc would be happy to sell it to a fixer for ¥100k if a. you could find a fixer with that kind of cash, and b. it would get people to stop shooting at them.  Neither of which does he think are likely to happen.

Hell, dropping it in a pit and just putting an ARO with the location in downtown Denver and letting everyone throw their resources into getting there first in force to claim it sounds pretty appealing to him. Everyone would throw every resource they had into beating the others to the artifact so that Team Purple could have a reprieve long enough to escape, and anyone bent on revenge would likely be bloodied enough from the effort that they would be able to pursue them less effectively for a bit. The major downsides to this are that a) dozens, if not hundreds, of people would likely die in the mad rush, and b) the artifact would be at risk for catching a stray bullet (or worse), risking its destruction and ensuing chaos. So we are back to plan A - public bid, private exchange.
Yeah, I don't see a situation where we can even reasonably guess at what "all of their resources" are to the point of estimating our chances of survival.

It sounded from Doc's words that unless there was a significant payout from the artifact's sale, Doc wasn't interested, eliminating a large swath of options (some outlined above).
He really wanted the middle ground of DIMR, which is why he brought it up so many times.  That what he thought was the safest solution that would get the best results.  Artifact would end up in "good" hands, they would have the resources to help out with the amnesia and nanites potentially, and enough money to help us disappear if not actually clear our names.  The big downside is that Ace wants to go back to Ares... and that would leave him in a bad spot.  There are tradeoffs for everything.

FWIW, ALL of the solutions that aren't getting the oblisk to Ares in one way or another end up with Ace in a world of hurt on his return.  And likely us hunted for our inconvience.  So unless we want to burn Ace, we gotta find some other way to make this work.

That said, he could totally be up for taking one for the team.  In which case, all bets are off.  Or he could choose to go into the shadows which we know OOC he want's to do, but not IC.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1786 on: <03-26-15/2001:12> »
"My cover ID was a bank in Denver, so that may be worth a shot, but we're going to need a location with outside the safehouse to reach out from, and we need a plan there."

Minor correction: Ace's cover is Head of Security for a pharmaceutical company in Denver that is an Ares subsidiary. Looking back, I'm not sure that this was ever explicitly stated or told to rednblack, but Ace would know from the file in the data lock.

Mr. Moran, the guy who owned the cabin you squatted in the first night, worked for the bank in Denver that was also an Ares subsidiary. I believe that is where the OOC confusion is from.

Unless Ace was IC lying and I've just derailed his plot.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1787 on: <03-30-15/1410:02> »
New IC post is up. I think we're getting close but everyone please vote on Ohanzee's question (open bidding to multiple parties or confine it to one party) and then respond to Sam's and Katsina's thoughts on the matter. With luck we can get through this in the next few days and start putting the plan into action.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1788 on: <03-31-15/1834:40> »
We're making progress in the plan.

Is there anything your PCs were planning on doing between now and check-out time later today? If so, we can start to figure that out and do any rolling that's needed. If not, we can get ready to fast-forward once we're done at breakfast.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1789 on: <03-31-15/1837:35> »
Doc was going to do the nanite research but we had that done over night.  Most of what Doc needs to do is online.  Anyone need any medical attention at this point?

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1790 on: <03-31-15/1839:30> »
Is there anything your PCs were planning on doing between now and check-out time later today? If so, we can start to figure that out and do any rolling that's needed. If not, we can get ready to fast-forward once we're done at breakfast.

Sam was gonna pull the smartlink off the hunting rifle and put it on something else for Ace.
What kinda mods am I looking at for that?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1791 on: <03-31-15/1844:01> »
Probably don't need it, but Doc can help with that... He'll have 11 dice to try and add to your pool if you want.

Oh, and Doc is gonna watch the BTL.  Just need to decide if he wants to do the full BTL experience or just TRID it.... Knowing his past, I think he'll go full BTL.  Bite the bullet.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1792 on: <03-31-15/1845:42> »
Armorer + Logic (4, 1 hour) Extended Test (see p. 433) for attaching the smartlink.

Zweiblumen, I'll PM you about the contents of the BTL once we get to the point of you watching it.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1793 on: <03-31-15/1851:14> »
Probably don't need it, but Doc can help with that... He'll have 11 dice to try and add to your pool if you want.

WHOA! That's WAY better than what Sam's got. Maybe Sam should be helping doc do this mod instead of the other way around, huh?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1794 on: <03-31-15/1858:09> »
I thought we were going to watch it together, but Ohanzee will just watch it on a trid when doc is done with it.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1795 on: <04-01-15/0247:41> »
No one else seemed interested.  Just have Ohanzee speak up before we break, and doc'll put it on the trid.  But as far as he knows no one else is keen on seeing it.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1796 on: <04-01-15/1239:02> »

WHOA! That's WAY better than what Sam's got. Maybe Sam should be helping doc do this mod instead of the other way around, huh?

Sure, which ever ;)  Doc isn't going to want to step on toes, and this seems a lot more in Sams balliwick than in Doc's.  His dicepool comes from his stupid big brain, not any actual training.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1797 on: <04-01-15/1629:17> »
Regarding the smartlink, the odds of failure are extremely low. The main question is how long will it take, and this is largely irrelevant since you have 10 hours to burn. So you basically just need to not crit glitch and you'll eventually succeed.

@Poindexter, Ace asked Sam, and Doc doesn't want to interfere, so go ahead and roll your 8 dice (subtracting a die with each roll) until you get four hits.

Sounds like breakfast is wrapping up. I'll get the BTL posted ICly so that people can react to that.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1798 on: <04-01-15/1650:11> »
Smartlink work hour 1: 8d6t5 4

Ok, I am now convinced that the fewer dice I roll, the higher the % of hits.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1799 on: <04-01-15/1703:28> »
Awesome, Sam gets the job done like a pro in an hour.

A note about the BTL chip:
The experience of watching this on a trid projector differs significantly from watching it via trodes or a DNI connection, and is VERY different from watching it with a hot-sim modification. The language of the video has been changed from first-person to third-person, and some of the feelings/emotions/reactions that Doc had while recording it have been removed, as these are not available via a trid projector.

Open RP at this point. We're back in "fast forward / blended time" again, where IC posting doesn't have to be strictly linear. People can watch the recording or not watch it, as they see fit. You can talk about what's on the chip or you can post what your character is doing for the next __ hours instead.

Register