NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1215 on: <02-02-15/1635:55> »
So I've pissed off orokos or something... 47 dice, 8 hits... that's under half the statistical average.  (Tec, you have the formulas for those odds just known or do you use a tool for that?  My math isn't that great ;p)

I use a program called SmallRoller. I could do the math longhand but why bother. The one thing I don't know how to do is calculate odds when using Exploding 6s. The 7 hits on 7 exploding dice? No idea what the odds of that were.

8 hits on 47 dice is pretty terrible though. That's 1st-percentile rolling (bad).

Resist Brakes: 2 hits, brakes are applied. The Bulldog comes to a stop and the back door slams shut.
Resist Open Windows: 1 hit. Unfortunately this only applies to the driver's window. The rest don't open. (As in, they don't have open/shut controls. They're closed all the time.)

Resist Overwatch Score: 4 hits

Good news: You find out your Overwatch Score anyway.
Bad news: It's over 40.

With that last resist roll, Doc's luck runs out. Doc's Overwatch Score hits 41 and we have Convergence.
1) The local demiGOD catches up to Doc and slaps him with 12DV Matrix damage. @Zweiblumen Soak 12DV with Firewall + Device Rating.
2) Doc gets dumped, losing his marks and suffering dumpshock. @Zweiblumen Soak 6P with Willpower only.
3) The hits keep coming. Doc is also disoriented and will have a -2 dice pool modifier for the next 5 minutes.

Next
IC post for Chino (spirit smash, freeing Ohanzee)
IC post for Katsina (picking Ohanzee up)
IC post for Ace (going prone and reloading)
IC post for Doc having a stroke after getting curb stomped by GOD
Not you @ 17: Action hidden. Nothing that requires a roll from the PCs
@Malevolence Wolf
@rednblack Ace
@Poindexter Sam

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1216 on: <02-02-15/1644:28> »
Sams instinct now is to try and get inside the GMC before it can get away.

Question: Since Sam's gear was all slaved to Docs deck, and the deck is offline now, would Sam be aware that the deck is offline. Seems like his comm would alert him to something like that. Also, does Doc have a biomonitor running? If so, does Sam and the rest of the team get a message or something when doc suffers a massive brain hemmorage?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1217 on: <02-02-15/1654:04> »
It's not guaranteed that Doc's PAN crashes. His cyberdeck could survive. If so, the dumpshock would be the violent transition from VR to AR. The PAN would still be active though.

If Doc's deck does crash, then people who have slaved themselves to Doc will be generally aware that their Firewall ratings just nosedived.

Doc's armor does have a biomonitor in it. It hasn't been set up to alert anyone else to his physical condition, although it should be pretty obvious to Katsina, Chino, and Ohanzee if Doc suddenly sits up and starts vomiting blood. (Maybe it won't be that bad. Doc still has plenty of Edge for soaking.)

The PCs will generally be familiar with the concept of rebooting their own devices. The Bulldog will come back online at the end of CT5, at which point they will presumably hit the gas again. That gives you CT4 and CT5 to get to the Bulldog and clear it out.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1218 on: <02-02-15/1655:48> »
@Tec: Where is the remaining enemy Mage in that map? I thought he was outside the Bulldog. I was thinking that backing the Bulldog over the mage would be a sound strategy.

From where Ohanzee sits (hangs, whatever), what can he see as far as the Bulldog? Can he see the driver? I'm looking on the scene with an eye for a strategic use of Control Thoughts.

Wolf. Hmm. He's going to de-materialize and head to the mage.

@Zwei - Ouch. Hopefully Orokos feels merciful for the next couple rolls.

With Doc out, I guess Ohanzee's on heal duty. Where is the medkit stored? And does anyone else know how to use it or should he just apply it on auto? I ask the question because a) I'm too lazy to check everyone's skills, and b) I'm don't recall how we are handling med-kit use. There was some discussion on the forums (I don't remember the details) about how RAW you are penalized for using it if you have a skill rating lower than the medkit rating over some schmuck with no First Aid skill just letting the kit do all the work. It seems to me that the medkit rating should be a straight up DP modifier, but I think that there was a problem where you can't heal more boxes than your FA skill, so having a FA skill of 1 means that if you use a Rating 6 medkit, because your FA skill is still 1, you can only heal one box, where letting it do it's own thing it can heal up to Rating (6) boxes. Or something.

Bottom line, I'd like to use the Heal spell only after peeps have benefitted from FA. Most likely starting with Doc. I hope.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1219 on: <02-02-15/1656:56> »
Yeah, this is gonna be bad... His deck just got bricked because he didn't have time to repair it from the stupid Minuteman :P
Soak 12dv Matrix Damage (Firewall 6 + DR 4 = 10): 10d6t5 4 8 damage which is 2 more than it has left.
Lets see about him personally
DumpShock WIll5: 5d6t5 4 Could be worse.. takes 2 more, so not another wound modifier (yet)

Can the medkit aleviate the disorientation?
New initiative:
Initiative 3+3d6 loss: 3d6+3 17 24-10=14-17=-3  No more actions this CT. (If I did that initiative transition correctly?)
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1220 on: <02-02-15/1657:36> »
How close to the driver's side of the Bulldog can Ace get to this pass?  This turn?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1221 on: <02-02-15/1700:37> »
OH NO!

Doc lost ANOTHER deck!

So are those of us who had devices slaved to aware that it's offline now?
If so, what sort of actions does sam need to take to get everything back and secure on his own PAN?

"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1222 on: <02-02-15/1706:54> »
Doc's just done for this CT, at -4 (-2 wounds -2 disoriented) he's still at 11 dice for FA.  He can start healing people next CT, though healing takes time.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1223 on: <02-02-15/1709:01> »
Doc lost ANOTHER deck!
I don't remember the fate of the enemy decker's deck. It was garbage, but it might work. Also, depending on how we are handling Matrix damage, his deck might still be repairable (his old deck was toast due to downloading a high-speed lead projectile). RAW in the core was that a full matrix monitor means irreparably destroyed, but Missions I believe rules that it could still be repaired. So it depends on what interpretation we are going with here.

@Doc: Phew! I was not looking forward to mediocre FA. You should start with Chino.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1224 on: <02-02-15/1726:17> »
"The world?" Now Kat is spouting crazy. Ohanzee may be re-evaluating his position. Maybe Sam was more lucid than the rest of us after all. Though Ohanzee is still convinced that our consciousnesses are trapped in there. Might be some fun IC coming up. As if having the following converging on us in the near future wasn't fun enough already:
GOD (likely in the form of the PCC security forces)
PCC (again, just from the firefight grabbing attention)
Previous owners of the obelisk
Nately security
The crazies that Katsina used to work for
Sam's (and perhaps the rest of Blue team) previous employers

At least we haven't pissed off the local crime syndicate - oh, wait, we killed the bear destined for the local mafia kingpin.

And those are just the ones we know about.

Yeah, all in all, a pretty productive 16 hours or so.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1225 on: <02-02-15/1727:36> »
Only problem with that is the number of rounds that takes Chino out of the fight, but yeah Chino is first in line!
As for the Deck, should be repairable afaik.  I think you are thinking about if you critically glitch a repair attempt:
Quote from:  CRB p.228 Matrix Damage
REPAIRING MATRIX DAMAGE
If you have a device with Matrix damage, you can re- pair it with a toolkit, an hour of work, and a Hardware + Logic [Mental] test. Every hit you get can be used to either remove one box of Matrix damage or cut the time required in half; the first die spent toward time re- duces the time to half an hour, the second to 15 min- utes, and so on, to a minimum of one Combat Turn (3 seconds). Bricked or not, the device is off-line and un- usable during the repair process.
If you critically glitch on the roll to repair your device, that’s it. The device is permanently bricked. You can use it as a paperweight, an object lesson, or (if you need one) a brick. If you glitch, the device can be restored to functionality, but it becomes a bit glitchy (the gamemas- ter will tell you how at an appropriate moment).

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1226 on: <02-02-15/1737:52> »
@Tec: Where is the remaining enemy Mage in that map? I thought he was outside the Bulldog. I was thinking that backing the Bulldog over the mage would be a sound strategy.

The enemy mage is the T outside of the Tata.

From where Ohanzee sits (hangs, whatever), what can he see as far as the Bulldog? Can he see the driver? I'm looking on the scene with an eye for a strategic use of Control Thoughts.

Ohanzee would have to get out of the RV before having LOS on the Bulldog or the driver. Luckily the windshield is missing so this isn't too hard.

The medkit is on the ground somewhere. You can pick it up with a Simple. Sam has First Aid 1.

Bullets & Bandages updates the medkit rules. Medkits are now a pure dice pool modifier. There is no Limit for the test anymore.

Yeah, this is gonna be bad... His deck just got bricked because he didn't have time to repair it from the stupid Minuteman :P
Soak 12dv Matrix Damage (Firewall 6 + DR 4 = 10): 10d6t5 4 8 damage which is 2 more than it has left.

Doc can use Edge on behalf of the deck if he wants. Another GM might rule differently, since none of Doc's attributes or skills are being rolled (it's a device-only test), but since Doc's the owner I think it's legit.

Can the medkit aleviate the disorientation?

Unfortunately no. Nothing counteracts disorientation (yet).

New initiative:
Initiative 3+3d6 loss: 3d6+3 17 24-10=14-17=-3  No more actions this CT. (If I did that initiative transition correctly?)

Looks like you did it correctly. Doc is awake and, remarkably, does not have blood pouring from his eyes.

How close to the driver's side of the Bulldog can Ace get to this pass?  This turn?

The driver's side is maybe 18 meters away from Ace's current position. If Ace runs he can get there by the end of IP2.

So are those of us who had devices slaved to aware that it's offline now?
If so, what sort of actions does sam need to take to get everything back and secure on his own PAN?

Yes, people should be aware that Doc is offline.

PANs are not well-described in the rules. I operate with the understanding that things are daisy-chained. Namely, Sam subscribes his wireless gear to his own commlink, then slaves his commlink to Doc's cyberdeck. This is partially to avoid having to keep an exact count of the devices slaved to Doc's deck, since it's limited to Device Rating * 4 and, quite frankly, I don't want to micromanage to that degree.

And those are just the ones we know about.

Yeah, all in all, a pretty productive 16 hours or so.

Ryo would be proud!

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1227 on: <02-02-15/1801:10> »
Ah, I didn't realize that the mage was a Troll. But I'm still a little confused. The Troll at the driver's side of the Tata is bleeding out (we assume), the elf is stepping over him to get inside the Tata, and then the Troll mage is on the passenger side?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1228 on: <02-02-15/1807:38> »
I had two Es on the map instead of one E and one T. There's only one troll at the Tata and it is on the passenger side. It took a bunch of bullets from Sam but nobody can see what it's up to anymore. Wolf will in a minute but for the moment the Tata is blocking his LOS.

*|     || [G] |*
          *|     || [M] |*
          *|     ||     |*    /RV/S <----- S is for Sam
          *|     ||     |* A /RV/ <----- A is for Ace
          *|     ||     |*  /RV/
          *|     ||     |* /RV/
     Wolf *|     ||     |*[ATV] <----- Snowmobile / ATV / Gas Grenade)
(cliff)   *|     ||     |*
          *|     ||E[T]T|* <----- E for Elf, T for Troll
          *|     || [H] |*

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1229 on: <02-02-15/1813:40> »
I'm gonna hold onto the edge.  Doc has lots, but not an infinite amount!  And I'd need to roll at least 3 hits on 6 dice to save it, odds aren't good of that (and while I'm not great at math, I know that rolling poorly last time has 0 influence on me rolling well this time).  At least the GMC is currently stopped and the engine is off.  Bought you guys probably 1 CT to get control of it?

Speaking off, Doc thinks about shooting the driver in the face with his shotgun, how good does he think he'd be at that?