NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1155 on: <01-29-15/1536:35> »
Yes, the ork will very much be in the way, unless Chino or Katsina takes him out first (presuming Sam holds his firing action, allowing them to do so).

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1156 on: <01-29-15/1539:00> »
What kinda penalties am I looking at to fire past him?
What kinda rules cascade are we looking at if i wanna shoot through him?

EDIT: Also, is wolf going after him? might wolf bring him down before he gets in my way?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1157 on: <01-29-15/1539:20> »
Ohanzee will cast Heal on Chino:
Heal Spell on Chino (Force 6) [Spellcasting 5 + Magic 6 + PF 2 - Wounds 3 - Crash 1]: 9d6t5 3
I was looking at the F-4 and thinking "there's no reason not to do this at F6" then as soon as I hit the "roll" button it struck me that I have to sustain it for that many CT for it to be permanent. I should have went with F4. Which I will be doing next CT to heal myself.
Ohanzee will also direct wolf NOT to fear the driver (sensing his intent through the link) - "We need that car!"
So, Wolf's action will be to fear the Troll with Shotgun and grumble to Ohanzee to direct one of his teammates to handle the mage:
Fear [Magic 6 + WIL 6 - Wounds 3]: 9d6t5 2
Quick question - can Wolf tell if the Mage is astrally perceiving (is his aura obviously dual-natured)?
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1158 on: <01-29-15/1540:50> »
Actually, Ohanzee might have trouble with that since he can't move. So, let's save that roll for next round and have Ohanzee attempt to escape his seatbelt - what kind of roll do I need?

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1159 on: <01-29-15/1541:50> »
Actually, Ohanzee might have trouble with that since he can't move. So, let's save that roll for next round and have Ohanzee attempt to escape his seatbelt - what kind of roll do I need?

If you have a knife, I don't think you should need any roll.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1160 on: <01-29-15/1547:03> »
Yeah, I just found the post where Tec mentioned that. I think all he has is his gun. Simple to draw and Simple to shoot? Should I roll the shot?

ETA: What a waste of APDS...

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1161 on: <01-29-15/1740:35> »
Many of you have Contacts that you have not reached out to for one reason or another. If you want to figure out who you were, maybe you should talk to someone who knows.
We're getting there. I think we've exhausted our contacts in Aspen, and, if not, our welcome. I think the current plan is to head to Denver (the City of Three Nations) and try our luck there, so we'll be looking into those contacts once we have half a chance to breathe.

Sam has shared what he knows with Blue Team (re: the Johnson, Mom) but not Red Team.
Off the top of my head, here are the secrets being kept:
OOC knowledge (Ohanzee may or may not know)
Ace + Katsina: Their apartment
Katsina: Her use of Influence on at least Ohanzee prior to the amnesia
Sam: As Tec mentioned, the Johnson and Mom
Doc: I am not aware of any at this point, though an argument could be made for Ace and Katsina's earlier shenanigans at their apartment but it's more likely an oversight.

IC Knowledge
Ace + Katsina: He's about to spot the blood bags and will then wonder where they got them and why they didn't mention them before when he specifically asked about medical equipment that might indicate treatment for the unknown illness
Sam: He knows about the Johnson and Mom, and he has let slip info about it in conversations that Red team could pick up on (not intentionally - like I said, he's bad at secrets)
Doc: Again, none that I'm aware of

Stuff I don't know
All: Not sure because I don't know it. I suspect (as a player) that there have been private messages with information that each player could elect to share or not. I have shared all of mine (honest!), but I have my suspicions that others have not. I'm not calling people out - if you aren't ready to share it with the characters, then it makes it easier for us to separate IC vs. OOC knowledge if you don't share it with the players - keep doing what you're doing. I'm just saying that I see secrets everywhere, which is awesome for a presumably cooperative game. It's like a psychology experiment or game theory - we should be helping each other (showing all of our cards improves our odds of success), but even as players we are being cautious, just like our characters would likely be.

The only thing Doc knows is that Ace was getting jumped by someone and asked for help.  Thought that was Team info, if not, yeah, that's an oversight on *my* part not his.  Doc hasn't even been able to succesfully do any research to find any other info yet!  Once he does, we'll see if he's in a sharing mood ;)  Right now he's just got his hands full with constant matrix attacks :P
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1162 on: <01-29-15/1809:34> »
What kinda penalties am I looking at to fire past him?

The easiest way to fire past him would be to take a couple extra steps beyond the end of the RV. This will give you a clear firing angle and you have enough movement to do it. However, this would deprive Sam of using the RV for cover.

This ork is tall but Sam is a troll. Sam can probably lift his XM30 to shoulder-height and fire over the ork's head. BUT, that would leave Sam's midsection rather exposed. (This guy is running with a popped cyberspur). Sam doesn't know why this guy is running or how hostile he is, but an ork samurai with sprinting at full speed with a cyberspur extended out of a cyberarm would make a lot of people pause.

What kinda rules cascade are we looking at if i wanna shoot through him?

Most of the time I would say "don't even bother" but since this is APDS it's possible. We'd be using the Shooting Through Barriers rules on p. 197. The ork would essentially act as a layer of super-armor (the ork's Body + Armor) for the driver.

As for hitting the driver, the ork and the driver are in an almost perfect line with each other. The driver would get his own Dodge roll against whatever fire made it through the ork. The driver's bonus for partial cover would be offset by the penalty for being constrained.

Sam needs to be mindful of recoil. He gets a free point + 2 RC from the gun + 3 from Strength, which he used up with his 6-round burst last IP.

EDIT: Also, is wolf going after him? might wolf bring him down before he gets in my way?

Wolf is not pursuing the ork. Wolf is chilling on the edge of the road, probably using the railing for some cover. Wolf currently does not have a plan to bring down the ork before the ork gets in Sam's way.

Yeah, I just found the post where Tec mentioned that. I think all he has is his gun. Simple to draw and Simple to shoot? Should I roll the shot?

Yes, a Simple to draw and a Simple to shoot would free Ohanzee. No need to roll. That said, Ohanzee could delay his action until IP2 to see if Katsina or Chino can free him. Katsina certainly has a sharp, pointy object that would be suitable for the task, although right now she's pretty alarmed by the approaching footsteps of the running ork. Chino's pretty banged up and might be less interested in rejoining the fight (and thus available to lend Ohanzee a hand).

Ohanzee can't detect any dual-natured entities via Wolf.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1163 on: <01-29-15/1849:31> »
Looking at the delay action rules, I can't delay into the next initiative pass unless I go first. Since no one acts between Wolf and I, it makes little difference. But, in order to save an APDS round, he will (Free) call off Wolf, (Simple) ask for help, (Simple) ponder the futility of it all (I honestly don't have a good idea what to do with a simple action - maybe draw his gun just in case it becomes useful later).
He'll have to wait until the next CT to heal.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1164 on: <01-29-15/1909:48> »
For when it's relevant:
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1]: 13d6t5 5 - Resists all 2 drain.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1165 on: <01-29-15/2335:27> »
If Sam were to instead attack the ork using unarmed, what kinda penalties would either of them face for being surprised to see the other one so close and unexpectedly? I mean, you and I know that sam and the ork are about to come round the same corner, but sam and the ork don't, y'know?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1166 on: <01-30-15/0129:27> »
@Malevolence
I don't see anything in the rules that says you can't delay until the next IP unless you go first. I'm looking at p. 161:

A player can declare a Delayed
Action on any of his Initiative Passes and can continue
to delay action until a later Initiative Pass. When the
character decides to act, he replaces his normal Action
Phase for that Initiative Pass with the Delayed Action and
then acts on an Initiative Score lower than their own.

I'm not sure what the meaning of that last tortured line is but the rest of it seems pretty clear that you can hold an action for one pass to the next. I don't see any reason (fluff or crunch) that would stop you.

But, in order to save an APDS round, he will (Free) call off Wolf, (Simple) ask for help, (Simple) ponder the futility of it all (I honestly don't have a good idea what to do with a simple action - maybe draw his gun just in case it becomes useful later).

I don't full understand the sequence you outlined. What do you mean "call off Wolf"? Call off Wolf from what? Wolf is chilling in cover, using Fear. Do you want him to stop? You might want to use that spare Simple Action for a Command Spirit to tell him what to do next, otherwise he's a bit directionless, having satisfied the most recent request.

Before it comes up officially, communication with Wolf is a Free Action but Command Spirit is still a Simple Action. Subtle changes in direction can be communicated with a Free Action - "Nice job tearing up the mage; do the troll next" - but new uses of spirit powers or other significant orders ("go astral, attack astrally") need to be communicated with a Simple Action. When in doubt, feel free to ask.

@Poindexter
If Sam were to instead attack the ork using unarmed, what kinda penalties would either of them face for being surprised to see the other one so close and unexpectedly? I mean, you and I know that sam and the ork are about to come round the same corner, but sam and the ork don't, y'know?

Yes, I was going to mention this but then got side-tracked. Both the ork and Sam will need to make a Surprise test. Reaction + Intuition - Modifiers versus Threshold 3. If either one is surprised then they won't be able to act against (or defend against) the other person. You can make that roll now if you want. Sam's Composure modifier will be down to -1.

Normally I would allow a Perception check with a chance to earn a +3 bonus to the Surprise roll, but in this case there are so many negative modifiers that it would reduce Sam's Perception dice pool to zero.

Next
@Malevolence Still clarifying Ohanzee's action. Wolf is after Doc, so if Ohanzee does give Wolf a command then go ahead and roll it out for CT3 IP2
@Zweiblumen It doesn't sound like anything Ohanzee is doing will affect Doc or his Agent. Go ahead and declare and roll for the next IP.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1167 on: <01-30-15/0158:53> »
Does the ork surprise me?: 8d6t5 3

OH THE GODS ARE KIND TODAY!

"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1168 on: <01-30-15/0211:48> »
Rolling for the ork, while we're at it.

Ork surprise? 3 hits

Looks like you two can high-five each other next IP. Or maybe he'll just run on by? (Or maybe he'll hose down the RV with suppressive fire.)

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1169 on: <01-30-15/0227:32> »
@Malevolence
I don't see anything in the rules that says you can't delay until the next IP unless you go first. I'm looking at p. 161:
Also on pg. 161:

If the character does not act before the end of the Initiative Pass, they incur the standard reduction of 10 at the end of the Initiative Pass.
With my Initiative of 4, delaying into the next IP would leave me with a -6 and thus forfeit my action.

What do you mean "call off Wolf"? Call off Wolf from what?
From targeting the driver with Fear. He's informing Wolf that we need the vehicle as he is aware that Wolf intends to send it away. This will change Wolf's tactics slightly so he will go for a different target. I chose the Troll with the shotgun as the next most immediate threat, though with the mage not astrally perceiving, he might have also gone with de-materializing and using sneaking to get behind the m age, materialize again, and rip his guts out (over the course of a few action passes, of course).
« Last Edit: <01-30-15/1329:23> by Malevolence »