NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1110 on: <01-26-15/1814:16> »
Hmm. Maybe my message should be "we need those cars". I'm assuming doc can keep them from driving of without filing their matrix condition monitor.

Ohh!! I can reboot the buggers!  Hopefully Ace and Sam can take out the driver with him in the seat.  That would give us actions to just power them down.  Yeah, I think I can come up with several options for shutting them down.

Quote from: CRB p. 242 Reboot Device
The device on which this action is performed shuts down and immediately reboots. The device comes back online at the end of the following Combat Turn. The de- vice ceases electronic functions and disappears from the Matrix until its reboot time is over.
When you reboot the device your persona is on, your OS is reset to zero and all of your marks, as well as the ones others may have put on your icon, are erased. If you’re in VR when you reboot, you suffer from dump- shock (see p. 229). When you come back online, your icon can be on any grid to which you have legitimate ac- cess, or the public grid if you have no other grid access.
When you perform this action, you can choose a de- lay of any amount of time between the time the device shuts down and the time it comes back online. Anyone with physical access to the device can override this delay by hitting the power button, which starts the boot process and brings the device online at the end of the following Combat Turn.
This action only works on devices. It doesn’t work on hosts, living beings (like technomancers, although they can “reboot” themselves, p. 251), or Resonance con- structs (like sprites), and the only persona it works on is your own. If you’re the owner of the device you’re reboot- ing, you don’t have to make a test. You can’t use this ac- tion on a device that is link-locked (p. 229).

Send Ace that message, the agent can keep ejecting clips, while he gets 3 marks on the GMC, do a control device to shut it down.  Then he can do a reboot with a 30 or 45 second delay.  That should keep the car from starting until we want to use it.

@Tec, is that a reasonable interpretation?  Format Device says that the device will still work, just loose all wireless functionality, but a car requires its computer to run the timing and such for getting the engine going.  I'd think if its stopped first until the computer comes back online it won't start again.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1111 on: <01-26-15/1821:30> »
Yes, rebooting the device will kill the car. However, as the rule notes, anyone with manual control can override the programmed delay. Even if Doc tells it not to reboot for 30 seconds, the driver could manually restart the car and have it running 3 seconds later.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1112 on: <01-26-15/1827:45> »
Cool, that works for me... I'm also guessing I'll need to wait until it's fully booted to shut it down again and I'll need to re-attain my marks as those will be gone.  :/

I think shutting it down and killing the driver are our best bets... That'll slow down someone else from escaping long enough for me to re-shut it down.

Once Ohanzee yells at Doc to quit playing around he'll get on that :P  The device is running solo IIRC it wasn't slaved to anything correct?

EDIT: Is the GMC really a Device rating of 1?  (I looked it up in hero lab as I couldn't find it quickly in the CRB, so I don't have a good source for that)
« Last Edit: <01-26-15/1833:08> by Zweiblumen »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1113 on: <01-26-15/1843:39> »
The default device rating would be 2. You won't know for sure until you try.

@Malevolence Go ahead and post Wolf's actions when you are ready.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1114 on: <01-26-15/1938:30> »
Since the second IP's movement should get Ace to the driver with some meters to spare, can I get Ace to run along the edge of the RV, effectively shielding him from the Tata's occupants?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1115 on: <01-26-15/2008:27> »
This is awkward, since Ace would have to run along the RV to the right, away from the Bulldog, then pivot to the left and fire a shot before charging forward. But Ace has an excellent movement rate and his hydraulic jacks should make changing direction that much easier, so I'll say yes. I penciled out the math with ye olde geometry and it worked.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1116 on: <01-26-15/2045:54> »
I'm out at dinner at the moment but I'll do that when I get home. He's going to snipe someone with fear - who does he see from where he is? Other than the mage since he'd likely have a high resist for it.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1117 on: <01-27-15/0147:57> »
In the Bulldog, Wolf can see:
1. the driver
2. the man who was sitting behind the mage (who was shooting Wolf with a revolver)
3. the troll in the backseat
4. the ork samurai in the front seat (probably)

The ork samurai is the biggest stretch. If he were a human or smaller I'd say no, but since he's an ork (and a big one at that) I'll say yes.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1118 on: <01-27-15/0201:09> »
Wolf will avoid the driver for fear of having him drive off, though his task is to protect us, not to help us secure a vehicle. Getting the driver to drive off would accomplish that, but it would also deny him his revenge against the street sam that had the temerity to attack him. So, he'll start with him so that he gets out of the vehicle, then tag the driver - isolate your prey from the herd and all. So, somewhat counter to our best interests, Wolf wants to send the Bulldog away in order to reduce our opposition and thus increase our chances of survival (his only interest per the task), but his personal vendetta against the ork will delay that for an IP. Of course, after the Bulldog leaves, the mage is his biggest threat, so his priorities will have to include dealing with the mage before he can satiate his hunger for revenge on the sammie.

So, Fear on ork:
Fear [Magic 6 + WIL 6 - Wounds 3]: 9d6t5 4
Very nice.

He will of course maintain as much cover as he can, minimizing his exposure.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1119 on: <01-27-15/0238:03> »
I'm not sure I followed all of that, but here's the roll to resist Fear: 1 hit minus 1 hit (forgot wound modifiers) equals 0 hits
The ork samurai will spend the next four (4) Combat Turns doing whatever it takes to get away from Wolf.

Ork Samurai
Simple: open door
Simple: action hidden
Free: run! ohdrekohdrekohdrek

The ork will basically sprint straight east. (For convenience and an easy frame of reference we'll say that the road at this point is headed due north.) The ork can run 6 meters this IP. His next IP will have him crossing directly in front of the RV.

Katsina and Chino can roll Perception (2) to determine if they hear the ork running for his life. No modifiers. Object/sound stands out in some way (+2) cancels out Interfering sight/odor/sound (–2).

Katsina: Intuition 6 + Perception 3 + spec 2 - 1 wound: 6 hits
Katsina can hear the ork coming, and well enough to know that its not the footfall of anyone on the team. Since she doesn't know what's going on she'll probably conclude that he is running by to throw a grenade in the RV or otherwise murder everyone.

Spirit
The fire imp on the astral will continue in its quest, previously in progress, of "kick Katsina's teeth in".
Astral attack: 0 hits, critical glitch!, wow
I suffer from a certain lack of imagination when it comes to critical glitches. It doesn't help that astral combat is not well defined nor described. I'm going to sleep on this one. Suggestions welcome.

Next
Sam
Chino

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1120 on: <01-27-15/0248:40> »
Critical glitch idea:  spirit over extended itself attacking kat, over zealous with the opportunity?  In the over reach is leaving itself vulnerable to retaliation?  Minus x dice for astral defense rolls for the rest of the combat turn?

That's a lot of question marks...obviously thinking "out loud" here.

EDIT: Typing on the phone == hard
« Last Edit: <01-27-15/1717:17> by Zweiblumen »

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1121 on: <01-27-15/0256:47> »
Another option is that it could lose all of its remaining actions for the CT. Our maybe just an additional - 10 to its initiative score.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1122 on: <01-27-15/1106:37> »
In the Bulldog, Wolf can see:
1. the driver
2. the man who was sitting behind the mage (who was shooting Wolf with a revolver)
3. the troll in the backseat
4. the ork samurai in the front seat (probably)

The ork samurai is the biggest stretch. If he were a human or smaller I'd say no, but since he's an ork (and a big one at that) I'll say yes.

Blast it, I forgot about the guy with the revolver.  Jumping into the Bulldog might be a really bad idea.  Well, I guess we'll see how this IP goes.  Hopefully, Ace will hit something.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1123 on: <01-27-15/1305:07> »
Ace would be able to see the same list of targets, and has time to change his targeting and/or his tactics.

As for the spirit's critical glitch, I am inclined to be more severe due to our 51% glitch threshold. There have been at least 3 different rolls this combat which would have been glitches at 50% but weren't at 51%. When they are more common I usually make glitches an inconvenience, but now that they are rare I want to give them their proper weight. A glitch will be "what did I not want to happen" and a critical glitch will be "what is that last thing I wanted to happen". The RV driving off the road and flipping is a good example.

Zweiblumen and Malevolence have good suggestions but I think those would better describe glitches than critical glitches. As such, the spirit's critical glitch will result in the following: The spirit accidentally materializes, without its energy aura power. It is now at -4 for being in contact with its allergen (water). 8-bit, take note. You can punch it to smithereens or you can squirt it with the fire extinguisher for the lulz.

Everyone with low dice pools, you're on notice. Save a point of Edge for downgrading critical glitches.

Next
Sam
Chino

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1124 on: <01-27-15/1524:20> »
Nah, I think hitting the driver probably trumps the guy with the revolver.  We need to keep the Bulldog tethered.  It just might be better if Ace shocks/skewers the guy with the revolver when he jumps in the side door.  Like I said, we'll see how this pass goes  :-\

Also, this is my 1000th post!
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal