NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1095 on: <01-26-15/1437:57> »
@Malevolence
My initial reaction was that spirits cannot be healed - you just dismiss them and summon another - but looking at things closer I see that Heal is a Mana spell, not Physical. Mana spells "affect living things with auras or astrally active entities (such as spirits or foci)" (p. 282) so I don't see why Heal wouldn't work on a spirit. First aid will not work though. For Physical damage that cannot be healed normally, bound spirits can use the traditional rules for rest. Unbound spirits will go free before they have a chance to make any Body rolls to heal other Physical damage.

Katsina's initiative roll: 14 (-1 for wound modifier)

Initiative CP3 IP1
Doc26
Doc's Agent23
Wolf20
not you18
Sam + not you16
Chino + not you15
Katsina + not you14
Ace13
not you11
not you8
not you6
Ohanzee4

Next
Doc + Doc's Agent
Wolf

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1096 on: <01-26-15/1505:14> »
Sorry, I've always read that as "You might not be able to walk through a wall, but you can walk around it."  Not as in "there is a chance you are not able to walk through a wall, but a greater chance of being able to walk around it."

Damn, I everything I write ends up sounding like a petulant child.
I will say, I should have posted the entire section as well:
Quote from: CRB p 228
If the Matrix Condition Monitor of a device is com- pletely filled, the device ceases functioning. This is called bricking a device. Devices that are bricked never fail non-spectacularly. Smoke, sparks, pops, bangs, siz- zles, nasty smells, and occasionally even small fires are common features of a device in the process of becom- ing a brick. If you’re using your deck in VR when it gets bricked, you are dumped from the Matrix and suffer dumpshock (see p. 229). A bricked device is damaged and useless until it is repaired (described in the next bit, Repairing Matrix Damage).
Emphasis mine

Anyway, enough of that.  Doc obviously knows more about this situation than Zweiblumen does, I'm gonna lean on his logic of 9 and say "what would Doc do?" here.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1097 on: <01-26-15/1529:18> »
The effect of bricking differs and is on a device-by-device basis. Bricking a laser sight isn't going to gum up a weapon but a smartlink might, especially if the smartlink is integral instead of external.

Doc's instincts say that bricking the eyes or the cyberarms are reliable ways to take a combatant out of a fight. The potential downside is that if they lose their best fighter then they might turn tail and run, depriving you of your getaway vehicle. So far their morale has held up reasonably well despite the detonation of two grenades, the presence of a laser rifle, and the spectacular close-quarters destruction of one of their mages, but every professional has a breaking point where living to see tomorrow is more compelling than the prospect of a fat paycheck.

Other options would be to have the weapons eject their clips, or switch firing modes, or cause unused weapons to fire (to create a distraction and/or expend ammunition and/or cause accidental friendly-fire) or other nuisances that slow the man down and limit his fighting capacity but don't compel him to escape.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1098 on: <01-26-15/1549:08> »
Ace is going to run from his present location after the Bulldog, and hopefully, make his way inside this CT.  I'm guessing that 9M won't get him quite there, correct?  If that's the case, Ace will:

Run.
Free:
Simple: Take Aim at driver (Since, as has been pointed out, Ace is aware that someone's on the Street Sam)
Simple: Fire at driver.

Next IP, Ace will charge driver with this shock hand.  I know that I'm a ways down the initiative order, but I'll go ahead and roll. 

I have: AGI (9) + Laser (6) + Take Aim (1) - Wound Penalty (1) - Running (2) = 13

pew pew v. driver: 13d6t5 5

Base Damage is 7P -10AP

Laser rifle is at 2/10 ammo-wise.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1099 on: <01-26-15/1617:41> »
Programs: Agent; Decryption; Encryption; Mugger
A: 7(8 ) S: 4 D: 6 F: 5(6)

Going to, hopefully, finish off the comlink so the agent can more reasonably mark guns and eject clips!

CT3 IP1:
Doc:
Free Action: Tell agent to eject all clips from weapons on current target
Complex Action: Data Spike on Commlink #2 (again) Cybercombat(6) Logic(9)+VR(2)-Wounds(2) = 15: 15d6t5 5 (limit 8)
DV = 8(attack) + 3(marks+mugger) + net hits

Agent:
Complex Action: Agent Mark Ares Predator V Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls + VR 2 = 16: 16d6t5 9 (limit 8)
This is all brute force as that's what I'm configured for right now.

PS. Thanks for all of the support for the n3wb here.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1100 on: <01-26-15/1623:30> »
Ohanzee will reiterate this on his IP, but if they start fleeing, Doc can still disable the vehicles so they won't get far. But, it couldn't hurt to disable them in advance, just to be safe.

But additionally, making sure they don't get a call out for help or that Doc Wagons don't activate can also be good, though the latter likely wouldn't pose a problem as the fight would be done and we'd be long gone by then. It has the advantage of having medical attention arrive to possibly clean up the Natelys.

But, yeah, unless anyone else gets to it first, Ohanzee's free action for his IP will be to message "Don't let the vehicles get away!" or if that is too long, "disable their cars!". Ohanzee doesn't know about the Doc Wagon contracts and so wouldn't comment on them. But through Wolf he's aware of the Bulldog re-positioning and when it first started moving, he was probably concerned they were running for it.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1101 on: <01-26-15/1628:11> »
One thing I see as a problem disabling the cars is the time it'll take for us to re-enable them.  That said, Mal, Ohanzee is in charge, so you say that and Doc will change targets.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1102 on: <01-26-15/1643:00> »
I'm likewise hesitant to want to disable one or more of the vehicles, but I'll play it however.

@Poindexter, if Sam wants to use some tactics with Ace, I'm very fine with that, and will play out my pass under Sam's direction.  Just let me know.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1103 on: <01-26-15/1653:39> »
Defending against data spike: 1 hit
Damage is 8 + 3 + 4 net hits = 15DV
The commlink only has 10 dice to soak so it can't lower the damage enough to avoid being bricked. The Ork Samurai's commlink is super-bricked.

Similarly, the Agent has more hits than the Ares Predator has dice to resist, so that's an instant mark.

@rednblack
That sounds like a good sequence. Ace will be able to make it into the Bulldog during his second IP. The only downside is that he's exposed while running (but he does benefit from Defender Running and Combat Sense).

Next
Wolf!

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1104 on: <01-26-15/1726:46> »
Quote from: CRB p. 238 Control Device Action
The type of action this is (i.e., Free, Simple, Standard, and Complex) is the same as the type of action attempt- ed with the device, and it requires 1 mark for Free Ac- tions, 2 marks for Simple Actions, and 3 marks for Stan- dard or Complex Actions.
Does that mean the agent can make a control devices check to eject the clip as a free action?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1105 on: <01-26-15/1732:11> »
Does that mean the agent can make a control devices check to eject the clip as a free action?

Yes.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1106 on: <01-26-15/1739:04> »
W00t!

CT3 IP1:
Agent:
Free Action: Agent's Matrix ejecting clip! Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls + VR 2 = 16: 16d6t5 4 (limit 4)
Gah, didn't realize that was a sleaze action.  Oh well, hopefully that'll still work.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1107 on: <01-26-15/1743:12> »
Resist Control Device: 0 hits

The Predator ejects its clip!

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1108 on: <01-26-15/1746:02> »
Poindexter, if Sam wants to use some tactics with Ace, I'm very fine with that, and will play out my pass under Sam's direction.  Just let me know.

The only real tactic that makes sense at the moment is a crossfire, but that requires 6 hits on the roll. Sam only has 6 dice to make it with. 4, right now cause of the penalty.

Just do your thing.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1109 on: <01-26-15/1749:35> »
Hmm. Maybe my message should be "we need those cars". I'm assuming doc can keep them from driving of without filing their matrix condition monitor.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral