NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1065 on: <01-24-15/1432:22> »
is the hotspur close enough to the bulldog that it could damage it, were it to explode?

Also, are any of the people Sam can see obviously armed, or aiming weapons at Ace?

also, if Sam were to go the other way, trying to set up a crossfire with Ace, would that be feasible and is there cover thataway?

1. If the Hotspur were to explode, it might knock out the rear windows of the Bulldog but probably would not significantly damage it. Bulldogs are durable vehicles.
2. The ork in the Bulldog has an SMG. The troll in the back of the Bulldog has a shotgun, but neither of them are aimed at Ace at this very instant.
3. There is lots of cover going the other direction (out the windshield) but it is a longer, less-direct route. Sam wouldn't be able to acquire a firing angle immediately unless the battlefield layout were to change while he moved.

Sam won't feel anything if he walks through the gas cloud. Which isn't to say that nothing is happening, only that his damage compensators are taking care of it.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1066 on: <01-24-15/1633:59> »
Ok, then Sam will fire a grenade at the hotspur.

Nade the hotspur: 11d6t5 4

do I have the free action left to wirelessly detonate it or did dropping the bomb use that up?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1067 on: <01-24-15/1759:12> »
So much for the back-up ride. Was there any particular place Sam is aiming for? Through the windshield? Underneath the chassis?

Sam drops the grenade on a dime. Having spent his free actions on running and dropping the bomb, he will have to wait until the following IP to issue the command to detonate.

Ork samurai
Oh, so THAT'S the guy who tried to blow me up with a grenade earlier! Sam is getting a Long Burst of SMG fire.
Long Burst: 3 hits + 1 hit from Sam being a large target = 4 hits
@Poindexter Roll your defense, +4 good cover +2 running -2 Composure -5 Full Burst, so -1 net
The rounds are explosive, so base DV is 8P -1AP.

Driver
The driver hits the gas, mostly to change positions but also to try to hit Wolf! This is unlikely but, dice being dice, we'll see.
Driving attack: 4 hits + 1 hit for Wolf being a large target = 5 hits
Wolf dodge, Reaction 6 + Intuition 6 + Full Defense 6 + Running 2 - 3 Wounds = 17 dice: 6 hits, Wolf bobs and weaves and escapes!
The Bulldog lurches forward, swerves for Wolf, misses, then screeches to a stop toward the front of the RV.

Shooter sitting behind the deceased mage in the Bulldog
Action hidden

Last to act this IP are Chino and Ace. Rednblack submitted the following:

CT 2, IP 2
Free: Snap picture using cyber eyes (if allowed) Bah, Ace still has to use his free to Run.  Ok, so no pics this IP.  I'm assuming text/transmit short phrase is out as well.
Simple: Take Aim
Simple: 1 shot with Lancer.  This time, we're going to go for the combat mage that just fried Ace.  Maybe I'll get lucky as said mage's armor is 10 or less.  If it's a hit, it should just be beastly for him/her to soak with just Body.  *fingers crossed*

AGI (9) + Laser (6) + Take Aim (1) - Wound Modifier (1) - Running (2) = 13

Lancer v. Combat Mage's face: 13d6t5 4

Hitting the statistical norm.  That's 7P -10AP to the Combat Mage

Lancer is at 4/10 ammo-wise.

Ace's obvious targets are the female elf staggering for the Tata (with the unexploded grenade in it) and the troll taking cover behind the passenger door. Ace is firing at the troll.
Ace gets an extra die for the troll being big: 0 hits, so just the 4 hits
Troll has Good Cover and Combat Sense (although the latter is OOC): 5 hits, shot misses

Next
Chino, CT2 IP2
Doc + Doc's Agent, CT2 IP3
Then it's time to roll initiative for CT3

@Malevolence Excellent IC post.

8-bit

« Reply #1068 on: <01-24-15/2227:54> »
Chino is going to try and stop being on fire now. It was kind of cool and cinematic for a bit, but now it's just painful.

The book's example is a Complex Action with a Drop Prone Free Action (so, all my bloody actions) to do a "Stop, Drop, and Roll". What would be the best way to deal with this? I'm not sure how you, as the GM, want to interpret the necessary actions to try and put out the fire.

By the way, is the floor still covered in alcohol from the broken bottle? Because that seems like a bad thing to roll into.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1069 on: <01-25-15/0017:55> »
So much for the back-up ride. Was there any particular place Sam is aiming for? Through the windshield? Underneath the chassis?

Sam drops the grenade on a dime. Having spent his free actions on running and dropping the bomb, he will have to wait until the following IP to issue the command to detonate.

Ork samurai
Oh, so THAT'S the guy who tried to blow me up with a grenade earlier! Sam is getting a Long Burst of SMG fire.
Long Burst: 3 hits + 1 hit from Sam being a large target = 4 hits
@Poindexter Roll your defense, +4 good cover +2 running -2 Composure -5 Full Burst, so -1 net
The rounds are explosive, so base DV is 8P -1AP.

If i dont have enough to wireless detonate, I'll just use the proximity function, cool?

If that doesn't preclude the orks firing, then my dodge roll is...

dodge smg fire: 11d6t5 4

so, a hit, but a grazing hit?
« Last Edit: <01-25-15/0020:41> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1070 on: <01-25-15/0119:19> »
If i dont have enough to wireless detonate, I'll just use the proximity function, cool?

There isn't a proximity function in the core rulebook, and if they added it in a supplement then I missed it. Is there another name for what you're thinking of? Or if there is a proximity function then please give me a page reference so I can look it up.

dodge smg fire: 11d6t5 4

so, a hit, but a grazing hit?

Correct, a grazing hit. We can say an explosive round brushed Sam's armor jacket (or horn or boot, etc.) and went off, maybe leaving a scorch mark but no material damage.

Chino is going to try and stop being on fire now. It was kind of cool and cinematic for a bit, but now it's just painful.

The book's example is a Complex Action with a Drop Prone Free Action (so, all my bloody actions) to do a "Stop, Drop, and Roll". What would be the best way to deal with this? I'm not sure how you, as the GM, want to interpret the necessary actions to try and put out the fire.

By the way, is the floor still covered in alcohol from the broken bottle? Because that seems like a bad thing to roll into.

I haven't done a good job of describing the floor. It's a mess, since it involves Ohanzee strapped into a seat, cupboards lining the top (now left) meter, broken windows in the middle meter, Katsina on her face surrounded by shattered glass, a puddle of fire from where the expensive elven liquor caught fire, Doc comfortably unconscious on the back booth of the dinette set, the broken and burning remnants of the obelisk's crate, the obelisk in a huge divot that it created in the side (now floor) of the RV, plus the spilled content of the cooler that Katsina packed in addition to all the contents of the Nately's pantry. I'll get some of that in the next IC post.

Chino has several valid options for extinguishing the fire:
1) Standing under the stream of water that Ace created when he knocked off the kitchen sink faucet; or
2) Grabbing the fire extinguisher that Katsina was trying to use and applying it liberally to himself; or
3) Running outside and jumping in the snow.

Stop/drop/roll, while excellent advice under normal conditions of accidental immolation, would not be advisable here. Any of the above can be accomplished within the span of an IP. The only difference is that running outside would require your Free Action too whereas the others would leave it available for use. If you run outside, let me know which direction you go (out the escape hatch mid-RV or out the windshield).

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1071 on: <01-25-15/0122:21> »

There isn't a proximity function in the core rulebook, and if they added it in a supplement then I missed it. Is there another name for what you're thinking of? Or if there is a proximity function then please give me a page reference so I can look it up.

I don't actually know if im getting that correct. I just remember back when I was lobbing grenades at the helicopter (Way) earlier, Ryo was asking me how i wanted to detonate them. Wireless via the free action was the option I chose, but there were two more, i feel like. 
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #1072 on: <01-25-15/0124:36> »
@Explosives

Page 182 of the Core Rule Book should give you what you need.

Quote from: Core Rule Book of SR5; page 182; Projectile Triggers
Motion Sensor: Projectile explosives using a motion sensor or impact trigger are extremely dangerous. Once armed (after the projectile has traveled 5 meters unless the safety features are disarmed), the projectile explodes after any sudden stop or change in direction, meaning hitting the wall, floor, or target. This method uses the standard Ranged Attack rules but adds an extra step if it misses the target (no net hits on the attack roll).

After a failed attack roll, you must roll for scatter and the projectile scatters the full amount before exploding immediately. A glitch on the attack roll means the projectile does not detonate on initial impact and scatters further, double the scatter distance. A Critical Glitch means the arming mechanism misfires and the explosive detonates immediately, affecting the attacker and those around him. (Did we mention these things are extremely dangerous?)

8-bit

« Reply #1073 on: <01-25-15/0126:01> »
Chino has several valid options for extinguishing the fire:
1) Standing under the stream of water that Ace created when he knocked off the kitchen sink faucet; or
2) Grabbing the fire extinguisher that Katsina was trying to use and applying it liberally to himself; or
3) Running outside and jumping in the snow.

Chino will go with option 2; if only to help Katsina out. And possibly to figure out what the hell she just did to Sam. What kind of Actions am I looking at?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1074 on: <01-25-15/0126:56> »
That works. Was there anything specific you were aiming at, or just the Tata in general?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1075 on: <01-25-15/0130:45> »
@8-bit
A Simple Action to pick up the fire extinguisher and a Simple Action to apply it to yourself. Katsina already pulled the pin so that saves an action. It doesn't require any rolling from you; I made Katsina roll because operating it remotely via Magic Fingers was awkward. You still have a Free Action available if you want one.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1076 on: <01-25-15/0131:48> »
Hoping to put it right on the windshield.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #1077 on: <01-25-15/0150:57> »
@8-bit
A Simple Action to pick up the fire extinguisher and a Simple Action to apply it to yourself. Katsina already pulled the pin so that saves an action. It doesn't require any rolling from you; I made Katsina roll because operating it remotely via Magic Fingers was awkward. You still have a Free Action available if you want one.

All right, sounds good. I'll use the Free Action to Speak to her. I'll get the exact thoughts out when I get an IC up.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1078 on: <01-25-15/0227:40> »
Plunck, the frag grenade hits the windshield and pops!

The windshield isn't ballistic glass but nor is it standard glass; it is laminated glass, so I went for the material rating in between ("cheap material").
The windshield soaks 18P +5AP: 6 hits
The windshield eats 6 boxes and passes the other 12 along to the driver/rigger (who already had a stroke from dumpshock when Sam shot the rotodrone out of the sky) and the troll standing behind the passenger side door (-1P for additional range). The windshield itself shatters.

Rigger soaking 12P +5AP: 7 hits
The rigger's armor exceeds the damage so it is converted to Stun. She takes 5S but, given that she's already unconscious from Physical damage, probably doesn't notice.

Troll soaking 11P +5AP: 8 hits + 1 hit because I always forget a troll's natural dermal armor
The troll's armor exceeds the damage so it is converted to Stun. The troll takes 2S. He was already at 2S so is now at 4S with a -1 modifier.

The elven woman running from the Bulldog to the Tata is also within the blast radius. She does not benefit from the windshield's soaking. She was 9 meters away at the time of the blast, so she has to soak 9P +5AP.
Decker soak: 3 hits + 3 hits because I accidentally rolled armor separately from Body/AP
The elf's armor exceeds the damage so it is converted to Stun. The woman takes 3S. This does not exceed her Physical limit so she remains on her feet. She's at 3P + 8S + dumpshock, so she's looking pretty bad.

The Tata Hotspur takes the full brunt of the explosion.
Tata soaking 18P +5AP: 13 hits
The Tata takes 5 boxes of damage.

Next
Doc + Doc's Agent
Everyone roll initiative for CT3

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1079 on: <01-25-15/0231:06> »
is the windshield on the hotspur shattered?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english