NEWS

Street level sr5 Mystic adept, eventual hacker

• 34 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #15 on: <10-25-14/0217:50> »
The background count is only that much of a pain inside the CCZ, but chances are you'll go there frequently. However, that's what you'll eventually get Adept Centering for anyway.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-25-14/0225:32> »
The background count is only that much of a pain inside the CCZ, but chances are you'll go there frequently. However, that's what you'll eventually get Adept Centering for anyway.
Absolutely, looking like quickening, then adept centering as first 2 initiations (practically first 2 expendatures karma wise, aside from a level of arcana.)

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <10-25-14/0832:13> »
Ugh i do not think Adept centering is going to help afterall. Seems it only works on physical or combat skills, unless decking skills could be considered combat, i would be hosed.

Fenrir

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <10-25-14/0849:24> »
Fleshing out the final build for a street level game, needed a hacker, but couldn't make it work with A priority to buy the cheapest deck, and still have a character i would want to play. So will have to work towards one after creation.

Priorities:
Skills A
Attributes B
Magic C (mysad)
Meta D (human)
Resources E

B 3
A 2
R 4 (6)
S 1
W 5
L 6
I 5
C 2

Edge 2
Magic 6

INIT:
11 + 3d6

Limits:
P 4
M 8
S 5

Qualities and expendatures:
Power points 25K
1 K for 2000 nuyen
Biased, ganger +3K
Moderate Allergy, Gold +10K

Powers:
Improved Reflexes 2
Improved Cybercombat 3
Combat sense 1
Missle parry 1
Attribute boost : Agility 1

Spells:
Physical Barrier
Improve Logic
Heal
Lightning Bolt
Mana Static

Skills:
Cracking group 6
Stealth group 4

First Aid 4 (gunshot)
Counterspelling 6 (combat)
Spellcasting 6 (manipulation)
Con 5 (fast talk)
Perception 5 (hearing)

Computers 6 (matrix perception)
Software 1
Hardware 1

Gear (or lack there of):
rating 3 Medkit
Med supplies
Rating 2 fake sin and license for mysad
armor jacket
helmet with trodes
meta-link commlink
3 standard credsticks
Cramped Squatter lifestyle (will upgrade asap)

Knowledge skills TBD

Contacts:
4/2 Matrix Guru
(free fixer contact from group)

Thoughts or suggestions to optimize?

I would not suggest having priority E for resources unless you are willing to spend 10 karma on funds and even then you won't be able to get even an Erika MCD-1/

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <10-25-14/0948:16> »
Street level works off of a different money scale Fenrir, Priority A is only 75k nuyen. Plus at maximim you can only trade in 5 karma to 10k nuyen.

Fenrir

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <10-26-14/0208:47> »
Street level works off of a different money scale Fenrir, Priority A is only 75k nuyen. Plus at maximim you can only trade in 5 karma to 10k nuyen.

Okay but still you don't have enough nuyen to by a deck, unless you are planning to use your commlink instead

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #21 on: <10-26-14/0541:39> »

Okay but still you don't have enough nuyen to by a deck, unless you are planning to use your commlink instead

I'm pretty sure he/she plans on obtaining a deck during play.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #22 on: <10-26-14/1406:23> »
Wouldn't a Technomancer be a better option for a Street Level + Chicago campaign ?

I've never played them so I don't know their rules well, but it seems like that would be the perfect solution for cash strapped in a Background count area.

Some Mix of Attributes, Resonance, & Skills at A/B/C with Human-D & Cash-E?

Seems like it would be a workable alternative to the very long development your looking into now & all w/o having a Cyberdeck.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <10-26-14/1441:45> »
I dont know how you have ruled it at your table, but an alternative to a real deck could be an RCC.
We play it as having attack 0 sleaze 0 DP X and firewall X
Then by using programs you could buff the attack and sleaze rating from zero to bad :)
scratchbuild junk is only 1400 nuyen, it can hold 1 program. With virtual machine you could run exploit and stealth for a whooping 3 sleaze rating when hacking on the fly- enough to hack cheap ass gear on lousy gangers.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <10-26-14/1738:57> »
I think commlinks and RCCs have effectively Attack/Sleaze N/A, not zero (there is a difference). Commlinks/RCCs don't even have the stats that would allow a Limit, thus I read it as N/A not "0 but can be raised." Hence you cannot attempt the test at all, not that you could attempt it but can keep no more than 0 hits (again, an important distinction.

Unless the GM says you can use Edge to remove the non-applicable Limit for one test, you probably shouldn't be allowed to roll. My GM doesn't like the idea of ever being able to hack via a commlink with the 5e rules and fluff for the Matrix, hence that'd be a no-go for me. YMMV; even a shitty deck can do pretty well if you focus on AR hacking and plugging directly into cameras to backdoor into a host instead of going into VR.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <10-26-14/1848:55> »
Aaron stated that you can use Edge to remove the limit, but while I will follow his statements for Missions, I disagree with enough of a significant amount of them that I cannot in good conscience suggest to blindly follow what he says.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <10-26-14/2105:44> »
Wouldn't a Technomancer be a better option for a Street Level + Chicago campaign ?

I've never played them so I don't know their rules well, but it seems like that would be the perfect solution for cash strapped in a Background count area.

Seems like it would be a workable alternative to the very long development your looking into now & all w/o having a Cyberdeck.
I looked at building one, i just couldn't handle being near worthless in combat, and i don't do the drug thing. It would be the easier answer, but i'll roll my dice.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <10-27-14/0742:57> »

I looked at building one, i just couldn't handle being near worthless in combat, and i don't do the drug thing. It would be the easier answer, but i'll roll my dice.
How about using some drones for combat?
EDIT: Forget about what I said, too expensive for the street level.
« Last Edit: <10-27-14/0746:01> by ZeldaBravo »
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #28 on: <10-27-14/1347:42> »
Meh, using 6-7 skill points for Automatics means your really never useless in combat.
Most anyone can be hit when you toss a burst of 6 bullets at them.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <10-27-14/2235:56> »
Meh, using 6-7 skill points for Automatics means your really never useless in combat.
Most anyone can be hit when you toss a burst of 6 bullets at them.

but without drugs there is really no way of reliably upping initiative as a techno. All of the reaction enhancements are all magic, technical, or pharmaceutical. I guess you could always blitz, but that's a lame way out. You need that edge for sprite making
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"