NEWS

Shadowrun 4th/5th ed Font?

• 5 Replies

ST (haydnshaw)

• Newb
  • Let's blow some drek up.
« on: <09-09-14/0514:13> »
Hey guys,

I'm looking for any Shadowrun type fonts to create official-looking PDF Modules (these modules will be distributed for free on my website), I decided to post in this forum to hopefully get pointed in the right direction by GMs before me who have done the same thing.

Also I’m writing my scenario for 5th edition, but I’m wondering if I should write it for 4th edition instead. What are the pros/cons of both systems in comparison to eachother?

UPDATE: so doing some research yielded these results:

Allegedly:
Klavika is the Primary font used for Shadowrun 5th Edition
Friz Quadrata is the font used for Shadowrun 5th Edition's body text
Univers Condensed is used in 5th Edition for the sidebars and table of contents
Garamond Premier is the Primary typeface for Shadowrun 4th Edition
Armadura Solid is used for the headings in 5th Ed.
Helvetica is used for something in 5th Ed, though not sure what. (Arial is pretty similar apparently and you can substitute helvetica for that.)
Mecano Light and the Quan typeface are used in 5th Ed, though I need to investigate what for.

BadlocICG might be used for the character sheets in 5th Ed? But I'm not sure. Will double check.

Unofficial Alternatives:
http://rpg.divnull.com/srun/fonts.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhophigamma/shadowrun/files.html

Rexlia might work as an alternative to Armadura Solid:
http://www.dafont.com/rexlia.font?text=YXZ
« Last Edit: <09-09-14/2005:54> by ST »
Speech Thought Matrix/Comm Astral Subvocal Foreign Language

I change my display name a bit so my username is in brackets.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-14/1233:21> »
Discussing the merits and failures of 4th and 5th edition would take days.  Personally, I'd look at it like this: which edition is still getting content?  Which one is the one that recently won an Origins award?  Which edition is the one that is up-to-date on the technology, history, etc.?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

ST (haydnshaw)

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-14/1311:11> »
I did ask some of these questions, but I like to give people an opportunity to voice their opinion every now and then. 5th Edition would be the logical choice, since I've started writing the module in that and just because enough people are playing 5E that it warrants additional content Catalyst Games Labs has yet to create.

Thanks for commenting Namikaze, as always, I appreciate your wisdom.

I'm sad I missed the phase of keyboard cyberdecks.

Killstring

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-14/1320:25> »
Thanks for the links! I'm a font nut, so I'd be curious if any of the freelancers want to chime in.

Also I’m writing my scenario for 5th edition, but I’m wondering if I should write it for 4th edition instead. What are the pros/cons of both systems in comparison to eachother?

Eh, I'll bite, I like both!
  • 25th Anniversary edition has the full suite of splatbooks, with all the good and bad options that provides. Its matrix use is very widespread - it has a low barrier to entry compared to other editions. This can have the effect of historically distinct roles blurring.
  • 5th edition is still evolving, and has had some editing issues. Its matrix use is more gated, and on the whole, It hews much closer to 3rd edition in mechanics, as well as tone and role division.
If you like video games, the tone/feel/setting can be compared to the Deus Ex series: SR4 is closer to Deus Ex, and Deus Ex: Invisible War; SR5 is closer to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Hopefully that's useful!

ST (haydnshaw)

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-14/1828:51> »
Killstring, I'll keep you notified of any alternative fonts I find, until then, I have to give into fatigue from a lack of sleep, from trying to do too many things over the last couple of days.

I've got a long ways to go from being a proper graphic designer, but If you like, I can give you links to non-commercial fonts I've used for other stuff, if you want those.

Killstring

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-10-14/0129:00> »
That would be lovely, thanks.