NEWS

[5e IC] Tabula Rasa

• 240 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #120 on: <09-02-14/1907:17> »
Her face concealed, the Masked Woman smirks at Chino's retort to the Elf. She keeps an ear open to Ace's conversation with Reggie while she works on a new preparation for the Crumpled Man. She smears out her old design and then starts over. This time she traces a triquetra that's made out of herbs: one line is rosemary, another is holy basil, and sage. Her fine motor control is challenged by the cold weather but she seems to be used to wearing gloves. She chants in foreign languages under her breath as she scribbles.

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #121 on: <09-03-14/0418:07> »
”OK, that is all I wanted to know.” Ace lowered the pistol even more, to draw Reggie’s attention to the moving gun, away from the lightning fast movement his right hand made a split second later, tasing him into oblivion with the shock hand. He then snapped this one’s neck as well, emptying his pockets afterwards. When he was done, Reggie went over the side as well.

He walked back to the car. ”Ready to leave. I got ourselves a number that may be useful if we are trying to get more equipment.” He got in the back, careful not to let blood stain his clothes.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #122 on: <09-03-14/0447:07> »
Uncle Sam watches the grisly work being done all around him with narrowed eyes and his calloused hands in his wooly pockets, his mouth in a deathly frown and the breath escaping his wide nostrils in slow, steady puffs.

We are fiends, the lot of us. Ambushers and slayers in the night. He follows the carcass of the bear with his eyes as it floats from the back of the vehicle and sighs. That's the only one of us that should have survived the night. His companions board the bloody rover one by one and he watches as they do, making sure everyone is accounted for. Waiting until last, he hops on board and finds room wherever is left, cramming himself in one of the bloody areas everyone else has been avoiding. Perhaps we were sent to avenge that creature. Awoken with a mission of revenge on my comm and then slaying the ambushers of the mighty bear. Hmmmm...

Perhaps we are not fiends. Perhaps we are avenging angels of some sort.
he thinks as the doors close and the heater starts working.

"Where we going, then?" he asks, checking the back of the Rover with a sidelong glance.

"Aspen..."

"Are you sure we should head right back into the city? There must be some small shitville between here and there we could stay the night in and loose this vehicle. Maybe do some digging around before jumping into the maw of the beast poorly prepared?"

----------------------------

After deciding on a destination, he spends most of the ride quiet, searching through his commlink for more clues as to his identity or history and debating whether to let the rest of these murderers know it's probably his fault they woke up in a van hanging off a cliff or not.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #123 on: <09-03-14/1459:07> »
The Masked Woman exhales with relief once the van is loaded and the doors are closed, finally blocking out the wind. She continues working on her alchemical preparation for The Crumpled Man.

"Our prior selves were headed to Aspen, so maybe we should trust" - she pauses to search for the right words - "what we knew previously and continue there. We must have a contact to meet or a place to stay." She glances around to see if anyone volunteers anything.

"We aren't even sure that we're being pursued. We don't know that we went over the side of the road due to hostile contact. If so, who did we have pursuing us that wasn't professional enough to confirm the kill? The bullet holes in the van could have happened anywhere, like back in Denver.

"We were all strapped in except this guy here." She indicates the Crumpled Man with a jut of her chin. "It's not like we were up and about and returning fire out the open doors and windows. Maybe we were free and clear and just went over the side due to road conditions." She pauses, realizing this might reflect poorly on the Ork's driving abilities. "Sorry, Chino."

She finishes the second version of her preparation and passes it to the Crumpled Man. This time she says, "Dae" as the Command trigger. This spell releases and manages not to fizzle this time. She watches on the astral as his aura is flooded with healing mana, repairing fractures, stitching together wounds, and sealing internal bleeding. The job's not complete but the rest will have to heal from patience and time.

"Do we know what's in that crate yet?" she asks. "Is it equipment for the job, or is it the target of the job? Let's take a look."

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #124 on: <09-04-14/0201:03> »
"Our prior selves were headed to Aspen, so maybe we should trust" - she pauses to search for the right words - "what we knew previously and continue there. We must have a contact to meet or a place to stay." She glances around to see if anyone volunteers anything.

"We aren't even sure that we're being pursued. We don't know that we went over the side of the road due to hostile contact. If so, who did we have pursuing us that wasn't professional enough to confirm the kill? The bullet holes in the van could have happened anywhere, like back in Denver.

"We were all strapped in except this guy here." She indicates the Crumpled Man with a jut of her chin. "It's not like we were up and about and returning fire out the open doors and windows. Maybe we were free and clear and just went over the side due to road conditions." She pauses, realizing this might reflect poorly on the Ork's driving abilities. "Sorry, Chino."

"Yeah, you've got a point, there. Aspen it is, but we should at LEAST ditch this blood soaked murder wagon before we get there. Steal something less conspicuous."

"Do we know what's in that crate yet?" she asks. "Is it equipment for the job, or is it the target of the job? Let's take a look."

"Damn good question. Let's find out."
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #125 on: <09-04-14/0558:21> »
"Sorry, Chino."
No 'roke, chummer. Might have been the best we could pull out of a bad situation - and we're still here to put the tale back together," Chino replied casually, thousand yard stare passing through the windshield into AR.

"As for where to head, how about a compromise? If anyone can find anywhere worth pulling over, we pull over - but between there and here, we stay on the route to Aspen. Considering where we got ourselves, whatever we knew previously can't have been that great, but we're not exactly overloaded with choices here."

---

Chino grumbles at the delay for an impromptu patchup, but otherwise doesn't interrupt when dealing with the pain occasionally lancing up his chest. At the very least, it made turning to look behind him easier, as he considered whether anyone sitting back there would put them in a situation where they would kill again that night. Won't miss you, Reggie, but let's hope it was just your poor luck, eh?

"Hoi - leave the crate. If you didn't need to open it before loading it into the Rover, it can wait til we have another vehicle. Scan it, if you're that impatient."

---

Checking the hazard lights as he pulls back into the right lane and drives off, Chino lets his comm navigate along the '82 towards Aspen.

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #126 on: <09-04-14/0738:43> »
”Sam is right, we should get rid of the van somewhere near Aspen, where we can do it in the least conspicuous way. We don’t want to make our time harder than necessary, and if Aspen PD found this car in this condition, they would be alert and itchy. I don’t like police itchy, they should stick to their coffee and doughnuts.“
Ace fiddled with his link all the while. He looked through all the data that could be found – contact list, calendar, recent messages, pictures, browser history, logs… he suspected it would probably take quite some time but he wanted to be thorough. Any bits of information had to be collected that could explain the situation they were in.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

martinchaen

« Reply #127 on: <09-04-14/0801:10> »
I scowl as the realization hits me. "Nothing but campgrounds between us and Aspen, chummer. It's a good question though; OK, so we get to Aspen. Then what? Anyone got the foggiest idea of what we were going there for?"

I take a quick break from my search to look around behind me. "It's a crate. Somehow I doubt it's Pandora's Box or something... Crack it." Wait, who the hell is Pandora, and what's her box got to do with anything. Mental note: look that drek up.

"Hey, anyone got a hardware kit so I can fix these piece of drek links? Maybe we can transfer some cash or something."

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #128 on: <09-04-14/1944:03> »
After finishing the second healing preparation, the Masked Woman looks around. The Crumpled Man seems to be good with a medkit, patching people up efficiently without the use of additional magic. Seeing that the others are being effectively cared for, she starts to work on some different preparations. Increase Strength first, then Combat Sense, both using throwing knives as lynchpins. The basis for the first is a unicursal hexagram: a design drawn with a continuous line. The second has a spider sitting in the middle of an intricate web. She whispers over these while inscribing them.

Chino's suggestion of scanning the crate reminds her that she has a cyberware scanner in her mask. She glances up and activates it, trying to get a sense of what's inside. She had already seen that it was metallic, but maybe the scanner can cross-reference it with an online database like it did with the hunters' cyberware.

"I was hoping the crate might help solve the mystery of where we were going or who we were going to meet. Of if someone has a clue from their comm, now's the time."

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #129 on: <09-04-14/2009:14> »
"I was hoping the crate might help solve the mystery of where we were going or who we were going to meet. Of if someone has a clue from their comm, now's the time."

"Well...

I have a theory. I believe we are shadowrunners. I believe we were hired to steal that crate. I believe our johnson betrayed us and tried to have us killed, rather than pay us for it."
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #130 on: <09-04-14/2246:02> »
After deciding on a destination, he spends most of the ride quiet, searching through his commlink for more clues as to his identity or history and debating whether to let the rest of these murderers know it's probably his fault they woke up in a van hanging off a cliff or not.

After digging further into your commlink and the history you can find on your own identities, you come to the conclusion that both SINs you have are fakes. (Rating 3).

You find some interest in your call history. Now that you've set yourself up on a network call with the group, you see in your call history a number of similar calls, with several other commcodes subscribed to the network. You notice quite a few with the same repeating numbers, two of which you recognize as belonging to Chino and the Dwarf, judging by the commcodes you're currently connected to. You guess by the history of calls that you've been working regularly with them for at least six months. There are other commcodes in the networked calls that you don't recognize, with a few that come and go, and one that was consistent up until yesterday. You do not see the current commcodes for Ace, The Masked Woman, The Elf, or The Crumpled Man in any of the networked calls prior to yesterday.

Ace fiddled with his link all the while. He looked through all the data that could be found – contact list, calendar, recent messages, pictures, browser history, logs… he suspected it would probably take quite some time but he wanted to be thorough. Any bits of information had to be collected that could explain the situation they were in.

You find two SINs in your comm.

>> James Anderson
>> UCAS National SIN
>> Age: 32
>> Sex: Male
>> Metatype: Human
>> Race: Caucasian
>> Concealed Carry License
>> Ares Crusader License
>> Ares Lightfire License
>> Smartgun License
>> Agility Enhancement License
>> Shock Hand License
>> Synaptic Booster License
>> Security Clearance (Lifescape Pharmaceuticals)

James Anderson appears to have a full life, and a lengthy history. You find all the same info The Elf found on you, and your contact list and call history fully supports it. It looks like you work for a Pharmaceutical company in Denver called Lifescape Pharmaceuticals, an Ares subsidiary. You've got a wife and kids back in Seattle, but it doesn't look like you talk to them anymore. They're in your contact list, but the last time you called any of them was two years ago. You also have a number of coworkers, people you knew in college, some ex-girlfriends with less than favorable nicknames in the profiles on your phone, and a laundry list of purchasing history dating back for years.

Despite all this, you're pretty certain this is a fake SIN, although a very well made one (Rating 6). Someone went through the effort to make it look like you had a full history, and you've probably been using this name for years, but you can see a noticeable change in the quality of the info the further back you go.

You check the second SIN, and notice this is the one that you've been more actively using lately.

>> Josh Adams
>> Pueblo Corporate Council National SIN
>> Age: 28
>> Sex: Male
>> Metatype: Human
>> Race: Caucasian

Josh Adams has a fairly thorough data trail as well, although of obvious lesser quality to your James Identity (Fake SIN rating 5).

You notice that The Elf's commcode is in your contact list under "Susan", as well as the Masked Woman, under "Ileana."

You also have a contact for someone named "Rhodes," located in Aspen. There are no messages between you, just phone calls, that never seem to last more than 30 seconds. The last call was from three days ago.

Chino's suggestion of scanning the crate reminds her that she has a cyberware scanner in her mask. She glances up and activates it, trying to get a sense of what's inside. She had already seen that it was metallic, but maybe the scanner can cross-reference it with an online database like it did with the hunters' cyberware.

You fire up the scanner and sweep it over the crate, penetrating the wood to get a reading on what's inside. The scanner reveals the outline of something almost as large as the crate itself, with a large octagonal base and a thinner, flatter pillar on top. The scanner picks up large amounts of gold, iron, copper, mercury, silver, platinum, osmium and silicon. It appears to be a solid hunk of a strange combination of various elements and metals, which would explain why it was so damn heavy. The shape is also weird, being mostly geometric. The cyberware scanner can pick up indentations across the base that suggest it is etched or engraved, but it can't pick up the fine detail through the thick wood of the crate.

Your best guess at a glance, without opening the crate, is that it's some kind of sculpture or art piece.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #131 on: <09-05-14/0249:11> »
The Masked Woman mentally flits the results of the scan to the group in the off-chance that there's an artist or a metallurgist among them.

"Alright, we have a theory. What can we add to it?"

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #132 on: <09-05-14/0429:18> »
"Alright, we have a theory. What can we add to it?"

He really doesn't want to answer this, as he knows it puts him at a tactical disadvantage should anything come up, but he sighs and says it anyway.

"Well... I do have ONE thing to add to it. I believe Chino, Crumple Stilskin, Big "O" right here," he motions to the dwarf as he continues, "and myself have been a team for a while. For the purposes of this discussion, I'll call us blue team. The four of us met the rest of you yesterday. Let's call you red team, shall we? I must assume if you go through your comm history, you'll find something similar. Given this fact, I'm forced to assume that either red team was hired for the job and blue team is extra work put on by the johnson, or vice versa. Follow me?"
« Last Edit: <09-06-14/0053:16> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

martinchaen

« Reply #133 on: <09-05-14/0808:18> »
"Jeez, will you please cut it out with the colour drek, big guy? How about we all just use the names we've found or chosen for ourselves; in case you forgot, you can call me APB. My scream sheet certainly indicates there's probably an open warrant or five on me somewhere, so if we meet any cops I'll just sit right here and be very very quiet."

I snort derisively and pull up and review my results on everyone. "Not a lot on the Matrix about you all, though I did find some juicy stuff on myself. I'm not sure about the whole 'runner thing, but "criminal" definitely works based on my own history, at least. I'm betting most of you have found multiple IDs on your links just like I have, and that fact coupled with the bullet holes in our last ride as well as how effectively we took out this Rover I'd say chances are whatever is in that crate is not on the up and up."

Grabbing my Sporter out of its holster I unload the clip with the gel rounds and reload with a clip of regular rounds the Masked Woman made available, stashing the other two clips in the pockets of my suit and reholster the gun.

"Hey, are there any shipping tags or anything on that crate? What about tracking devices; any of you wiggly-fingered chummers check it for magical signatures yet?"

I spend the next little while of our ride towards Aspen working on repairing the broken links and hacking some MARKs on all of them before sifting through the data on them to present to the rest.

GrimWulf

• Omae
« Reply #134 on: <09-05-14/1122:12> »
Ohanzee sits quietly for most of the talking, trying to sort things out in his head. When the question comes up about contacts in Aspen he pipes up.

"So yeah, I got an acquaintance in Aspen.  I get the feeling that either a) I'm pissed off at her, b) she's pissed at me, c) we were working for her... 'b' might link with 'c' in that case.  Or d) She's psycho crazy and just wants in my pants... Again?"

After hearing about the contents of the crate and the possibility of being a statue or some other piece of work Ohanzee tries hard to recall any information he may have on it.  It seemed like he was interested in archaeology when he was talking to Gloria.

He takes the advice to try and astrally perceive the crate, if he can figure that bit out... magic people do that kinda stuff right?