NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa

• 559 Replies

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #90 on: <08-24-14/0411:07> »
Incidentally, I'll be taking Interest: Action Trid Stars 2 with some of my knowledge skill points.

Can I roll Memory while this is happening?

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #91 on: <08-24-14/0418:59> »
Incidentally, I'll be taking Interest: Action Trid Stars 2 with some of my knowledge skill points.

Can I roll Memory while this is happening?

You try to remember something!

Logic 4 + Intuition 3: 7d6t5 1

You're drawing a blank.

I was wondering who would be the first person to try to roll Memory. Congratulations, you win the 'Memory Test!' achievement.

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #92 on: <08-24-14/0949:27> »
Ryo, can you describe us the scene around the Rover? I need to know how far the car is from us, if we have a LOS free of obstacles to any of the men inside, what the ground is like between us and the car...
Also, i'm sure we are not directly in front of the Rover, as it went on a road and i sure as hell didn't try to hide on it.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

martinchaen

« Reply #93 on: <08-24-14/1053:06> »
Alright, the three Comms have a Firewall of 4, 5 and 7. Telling if the guns are slaved would be an extra check, yeah.

As for turning off the lights, that's Control Device, and since there is no test associated with it, it'd be Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze] vs. Intuition + Firewall. It'd only be a Free Action though, since flipping a switch isn't hard.
Oh, so I wouldn't see if the guns are part of the PAN with the commlinks? Fair enough.

Whenever I get around to turning off the lights (presumably next combat turn unless I get a free Free Action by the GM):
Free Action: Control Device [5]
13d6t5: 6 [13d6t5=4, 4, 5, 5, 3, 3, 5, 6, 2, 1, 5, 3, 6]

My next two actions for this round is going to be sleazing some marks on the weakest commlink (FW4):
CT1, AP2, IS 14
Complex Action: Hack on the Fly [6]
13d6t5: 5 [13d6t5=1, 1, 4, 4, 6, 2, 5, 5, 3, 6, 5, 3, 4]

CT1, AP2, IS 4
14d6t5: 4 [14d6t5=3, 1, 3, 6, 1, 3, 1, 1, 5, 1, 3, 1, 6, 5]

After that, it's time to go on the offensive. What kind of action would it be to create an ARO and share with everyone else? I'd like to highlight the guy with the FW7 commlink as a priority target, but I'm not sure it's worth spending a Complex Action on; if it is possible to do with a Free Action, I'll definitely do that. If it takes a Simple Action, I'll probably do that on the start of Combat Turn 2 and use the other Simple Action the Check Overwatch Score. Then, start using Data Spike on the FW4, then FW5, and finally FW7 commlink, or until they're all down in the physical world. I'll go ahead and roll for those actions and you can pick and choose as you feel is appropriate (see below).

In (probably) relevant order:
OPTIONAL
Create ARO: No idea what action this would be. If it would take a Complex Action to Edit File I'd skip it, if it only takes a Free Action I'll do it. If it takes a Simple Action (Send Message) I'll also do it, and add a Check Overwatch Score Simple Action.
Simple Action: Check Overwatch Score [5]
13d6t5: 3 [13d6t5=1, 6, 4, 3, 3, 1, 6, 1, 4, 2, 1, 5, 4]

ATTACKS
I'd spend a Complex Action to attack at the beginning of every Combat Turn, and a Free Action to go on Full Matrix Defense afterwards, for a total of two attacks each combat turn. I'm guessing most of these would take 2 attacks to hammer down, so here's a bunch of attacks:

Firewall 4 link
Complex Action: Data Spike [7]
13d6t5: 4 [13d6t5=2, 6, 3, 4, 1, 4, 6, 1, 3, 1, 5, 2, 5] (DV 7 + Net Hits + (# MARKs * 2) )
13d6t5: 2 [13d6t5=4, 4, 6, 3, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 5, 2, 4, 2] (DV 7 + Net Hits)

Firewall 5 link
13d6t5: 3 [13d6t5=4, 1, 3, 5, 2, 3, 6, 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 1] (DV 7 + Net Hits)
13d6t5: 5 [13d6t5=4, 5, 4, 4, 5, 3, 6, 2, 1, 6, 4, 2, 5] (DV 7 + Net Hits)

Firewall 7 link:
13d6t5: 0 [13d6t5=1, 1, 4, 2, 4, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1, 3, 1, 3] (DV 7 + Net Hits)
13d6t5: 5 [13d6t5=5, 3, 6, 4, 3, 1, 1, 6, 2, 3, 1, 5, 5] (DV 7 + Net Hits)

Man, my rolls are all over the map. If I fail any of these attacks (very likely...), I'll be heading for a dirt nap for sure. I don't know if I have anything that would help with Matrix Damage Resistance, so I'll let you roll those where necessary. Fairly confident I'll knock myself out here, but oh well.

Wow, just checked the rules on failing attack actions. Unresisted 1 DV for every net hits the Defender gets on a failed Attack action? Man, being an offensively oriented hacker is kind of a bummer; not only are you rolling against dice pools that equal your own most of the time, but you get to take damage if you fail with no chance to resist?

Ryo,

The reason I'm mapping out so many actions is that I'll be going on a roadtrip with my girlfriend today (it's her birthday, so we're driving to the ocean to walk the beach), so I probably won't be able to post much. Feel free to assume control of my character if we end up waiting for me.
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/1107:36> by martinchaen »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #94 on: <08-24-14/1057:48> »
The Masked Woman and the Human are each 10 meters from the rover, and probably about 5 meters from each other. You can easily cover the distance without even having to run.

@Ren
I think the implication is that it is a winding mountain road and that the van has come to a stop in front of us on one of the curves. I do not think we have LOS now but it sounds like the distance is short enough to walk to LOS and act on the same turn. I will let Ryo correct me if needed, perhaps with more ASCII art...

@martinchaen
Have a good time! Sounds like a fun idea for a birthday.
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/1104:41> by Tecumseh »

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #95 on: <08-24-14/1211:59> »
Ryo, can you describe us the scene around the Rover? I need to know how far the car is from us, if we have a LOS free of obstacles to any of the men inside, what the ground is like between us and the car...
Also, i'm sure we are not directly in front of the Rover, as it went on a road and i sure as hell didn't try to hide on it.

My apologies, here's a description.

The road is long and winding, going back and forth along the wall of the mountain towards aspen. The road itself is two lanes, each about 5 meters wide. It hugs the cliff side next to it, which is an almost sheer rise from the road up towards the top of the mountain, and the only thing between the road and a long fall to where your van ended up is a metal railing that has largely been buried in snow. Plows have managed to keep the road clear, creating a large snowbank barrier on either side of the road that goes up to your waist.

The Rover 2072 is stopped just before the turn that your van had missed, the headlights pointing straight forward. The Masked Woman and The Human have taken cover on either side of this hole in the snowbank.

And Ascii diagram, because why not?

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |     _______    |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |    [       ]   |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |    [       ][  |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |    (       )[  |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |    [       |[  |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |    [The Van|[  |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |    [       |   |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |    [       |   |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |    (       )   |#
{}{} Cliff Wall {}} |    [       ]   |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |     \     /    |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} |      ŻŻŻŻŻ     |#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} /                 /#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} /                 /#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} /                 /#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}} /                 /#
{}{}{}{}{}{}{} /                 /#o
{}{}{}{}{}{}} /                 /^
{}{}{}{}{}}  /                 /^
            /                 /^
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ                 /^
                            /^
                           /^
                          /^
                         /#x
                        /#
                       /#
                      /#
                     /#
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ#
#####################

x = The Human

o = The Masked Woman

# = Railing + snow bank

^ = The hole your van made in said railing and snow bank

Obviously not to scale, but I hope that gives you the idea, and explains why you're in blinding glare. The Elf opened the sliding door on the right side of the van, so you could go around that way to try and get a shot inside, or take a shot through the windshield. The Human has Flare Compensation, so the glare gives you a -1 penalty.
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/1217:01> by Ryo »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #96 on: <08-24-14/1234:37> »
Brilliant!

I see four left brackets - [ - on the right side of the diagram (what would be the driver's side of the van). Is that the side door? You did say "right side" but I wasn't sure if you meant "right side of the van" or "right side of the diagram".

I was going to ask about this earlier before the action started, but now seems a good time since we have a diagram handy. Is it obvious which direction our vehicle was traveling when it decided to go off-roading? If it isn't obvious, may I roll Perception or Tracking (presence of skill TBD) to determine which direction we were headed originally? This was something The Masked Woman was going to look at while waiting for the Rover's arrival.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #97 on: <08-24-14/1240:13> »
Oh, so I wouldn't see if the guns are part of the PAN with the commlinks? Fair enough.

Right. Even if they are part of the PAN, by nature of being a weapon, they get an obvious separate icon, as per the Matrix regulations.

Whenever I get around to turning off the lights (presumably next combat turn unless I get a free Free Action by the GM):
Free Action: Control Device [5]

It's a free action, but one you have to take on your turn. Crumpled Man might actually pull it off first, since he could use a Complex to get a mark and then a Free to kill the headlights.

My next two actions for this round is going to be sleazing some marks on the weakest commlink (FW4):
CT1, AP2, IS 14

CT1, AP2, IS 4
14d6t5: 4 [14d6t5=3, 1, 3, 6, 1, 3, 1, 1, 5, 1, 3, 1, 6, 5]

After that, it's time to go on the offensive. What kind of action would it be to create an ARO and share with everyone else? I'd like to highlight the guy with the FW7 commlink as a priority target, but I'm not sure it's worth spending a Complex Action on; if it is possible to do with a Free Action, I'll definitely do that. If it takes a Simple Action, I'll probably do that on the start of Combat Turn 2 and use the other Simple Action the Check Overwatch Score. Then, start using Data Spike on the FW4, then FW5, and finally FW7 commlink, or until they're all down in the physical world. I'll go ahead and roll for those actions and you can pick and choose as you feel is appropriate (see below).

It would be a free action to create an ARO, but making it available for the group to see requires that you have a live feed open to them, which is the Send Message simple action.

In (probably) relevant order:
OPTIONAL
Create ARO: No idea what action this would be. If it would take a Complex Action to Edit File I'd skip it, if it only takes a Free Action I'll do it. If it takes a Simple Action (Send Message) I'll also do it, and add a Check Overwatch Score Simple Action.
Simple Action: Check Overwatch Score [5]
13d6t5: 3 [13d6t5=1, 6, 4, 3, 3, 1, 6, 1, 4, 2, 1, 5, 4]

Free Action to create the ARO, Simple Action to sync it to everyone else to see. Neither requires a test. Checking Overwatch is smart, you've been hacking awhile.

ATTACKS
I'd spend a Complex Action to attack at the beginning of every Combat Turn, and a Free Action to go on Full Matrix Defense afterwards, for a total of two attacks each combat turn. I'm guessing most of these would take 2 attacks to hammer down, so here's a bunch of attacks:

Firewall 4 link
13d6t5: 4 [13d6t5=2, 6, 3, 4, 1, 4, 6, 1, 3, 1, 5, 2, 5] (DV 7 + Net Hits + (# MARKs * 2) )
13d6t5: 2 [13d6t5=4, 4, 6, 3, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 5, 2, 4, 2] (DV 7 + Net Hits)

Firewall 5 link
13d6t5: 3 [13d6t5=4, 1, 3, 5, 2, 3, 6, 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 1] (DV 7 + Net Hits)
13d6t5: 5 [13d6t5=4, 5, 4, 4, 5, 3, 6, 2, 1, 6, 4, 2, 5] (DV 7 + Net Hits)

Firewall 7 link:
13d6t5: 0 [13d6t5=1, 1, 4, 2, 4, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1, 3, 1, 3] (DV 7 + Net Hits)
13d6t5: 5 [13d6t5=5, 3, 6, 4, 3, 1, 1, 6, 2, 3, 1, 5, 5] (DV 7 + Net Hits)

Man, my rolls are all over the map. If I fail any of these attacks (very likely...), I'll be heading for a dirt nap for sure. I don't know if I have anything that would help with Matrix Damage Resistance, so I'll let you roll those where necessary. Fairly confident I'll knock myself out here, but oh well.

Duly noted.

Wow, just checked the rules on failing attack actions. Unresisted 1 DV for every net hits the Defender gets on a failed Attack action? Man, being an offensively oriented hacker is kind of a bummer; not only are you rolling against dice pools that equal your own most of the time, but you get to take damage if you fail with no chance to resist?

Yup, that crap bounces back at you. Good idea not to fail. It's arguable whether its better to fail an Attack action or a Sleaze action. Sure, with Attack you hurt yourself, but you don't notify the enemy either. If you fail Sleaze, they instantly spot you and mark you. They could immediately follow up with a Data Spike on their turn, with +2 DV from the mark.

Ryo,

The reason I'm mapping out so many actions is that I'll be going on a roadtrip with my girlfriend today (it's her birthday, so we're driving to the ocean to walk the beach), so I probably won't be able to post much. Feel free to assume control of my character if we end up waiting for me.

Have fun!

Brilliant!

I see four left brackets - [ - on the right side of the diagram (what would be the driver's side of the van). Is that the side door? You did say "right side" but I wasn't sure if you meant "right side of the van" or "right side of the diagram".

I was going to ask about this earlier before the action started, but now seems a good time since we have a diagram handy. Is it obvious which direction our vehicle was traveling when it decided to go off-roading? If it isn't obvious, may I roll Perception or Tracking (presence of skill TBD) to determine which direction we were headed originally? This was something The Masked Woman was going to look at while waiting for the Rover's arrival.

The brackets represent the open door, yeah. I meant right side of the diagram.

And you did some Tracking when you got to the top of the hill to see what happened to the van.

Intuition 6 + Tracking 3: 9d6t5 2

You conclude that your van was on its way to Aspen before it failed to make a turn.

Ravensoracle

• Omae
« Reply #98 on: <08-24-14/1320:49> »
@Poindexter; You're lucky I just opened an AR window instead of dropping full VR cause the Crumpled Man is the one sitting outside the van with the rope.

On to Actions:
CT1 AP1
Cuss cause he can't join the fight right away. (Free Action)
Grab the rope (Simple Action, assuming same as readying weapon)
Toss the rope to the troll (Simple Action, assuming same as throw weapon)

CT1 AP2
Switch to VR (Complex Action)
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Subvocal

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #99 on: <08-24-14/1326:09> »
@Poindexter; You're lucky I just opened an AR window instead of dropping full VR cause the Crumpled Man is the one sitting outside the van with the rope.

On to Actions:
CT1 AP1
Cuss cause he can't join the fight right away. (Free Action)
Grab the rope (Simple Action, assuming same as readying weapon)
Toss the rope to the troll (Simple Action, assuming same as throw weapon)

CT1 AP2
Switch to VR (Complex Action)

Grabbing the rope is the Pick Up/Put Down Object action, which is a Simple.
Tossing the rope is Simple. Throw Weapon is the closest, but you don't have to roll for it.

So, your actions are set. You can post your grabbing and throwing of the rope now, if you like, to free up poindexter and novo to do their thing.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #100 on: <08-25-14/0334:03> »
Actions taken thus far; talking (free), picking up rope (simple) ... If there's a roll for tying knots, I'm leaving that one up to you, Ryo. (along with whether it's simple / complex / extended)

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #101 on: <08-25-14/0508:11> »
The Masked Woman
Free Action: transmit/text a phrase
Delayed Action: technically waiting for Ren / The Human to act at this point since Novocrane has gone. Ryo, I can post when I get up if you want to keep things moving.

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #102 on: <08-25-14/0546:01> »
CT1 AP1 – delaying action, until one of these conditions happen: the headlights turn off, or one of the passengers gets into LOS.

Question to Ryo: what kind of ammo is in the clip I put into the machine pistol?
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

martinchaen

« Reply #103 on: <08-25-14/0825:36> »
Thanks Ryo. Also, GREAT job on the ASCII art! :)

My actions for the next Action Phase will look like this, then:
CT1, AP2, IS 14
Free Action: Control Device [5] Turn off headlights

Complex Action: Hack on the Fly [6]: Firewall 4 Commlink
« Last Edit: <08-25-14/0842:41> by martinchaen »

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #104 on: <08-25-14/1126:22> »
Actions taken thus far; talking (free), picking up rope (simple) ... If there's a roll for tying knots, I'm leaving that one up to you, Ryo. (along with whether it's simple / complex / extended)

Can't think of what you'd roll, but I'll say its a Use Item Simple Action.

CT1 AP1 – delaying action, until one of these conditions happen: the headlights turn off, or one of the passengers gets into LOS.

Question to Ryo: what kind of ammo is in the clip I put into the machine pistol?

Regular.