NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4725 on: <12-19-16/1557:14> »
Yes, thanks Aria, that cleared a lot up for me.

I've been a bit under the weather the last couple of days (and not coincidentally really swamped with work), so apologies for my tardiness on that front.

Personally, I'd expect the pattern to be a feint and the summoning just a trick to manipulate us, but neither I nor Isaint are confident enough to stake everyone's life on that. So evacuate it is. There is sticking to ones word and there is allowing eldritch abominations to enter this world because of it. 

If I had to guess, than they are using the confusion to kill off a few more people (or rather their astral bodies) so they are able to return into their waiting bodies without having to bother with the whole inhabitation angle.

« Last Edit: <12-20-16/0138:50> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

adamu

« Reply #4726 on: <12-19-16/1720:27> »
Dude - running when there is an abomination to be stopped?!?!?!

No problem, Al respects Isaint as a leader and - more important - figures he can do his own plan plus Isaint's.

About blowing things up: these are brick walls (Aria? that's what the picture looks like - if they are somehow some more modern alloy, no problem - twice as strong and my holes are 2m x 2m instead of 4m x 4m) not the side of a food court or safehouse. And this is on the fly with basic TNT, not carefully-shaped charges I had time to work on.
So there will be some explosive force coming back into the room....

The plan is I plant an 8kg charge at the heart of the pentagram on the dais/marriage altar. It'll have my one remaining radio detonator. It will pretty much blow the whole stone dais to rubble, and theoretically the apex of their larger pattern with it. Also kill anyone nearby - thus the radio detonator so I can wait to use it until Tsssogoth puts his toe through the Portal of Eldar Realms, or everyone I give a crap about is clear, whichever comes first.

Then I go over to a side wall and set up two 4kg charges at different points on the wall. Aria - I'd like points that are also at the edge of the evil pattern if that's possible...these will make 4 x 4 m holes and also blast into the room at 12P -1/meter (unless the barrier is stronger than I think, in which case the blast is weaker, but I still get at least 2 x 2 holes). So that's a safe distance of 12 meters, but with decent armor at all it's just stun to soak...at 6 meters you're probably mostly fine, but keep that squishy dog well away...I reckon anyone still standing in this place can handle it, or else they'd soon be shadow meat anyway.

These will be on two pull detonators, me taking the slack pull cord with me.

My plan is to first send the team a diagram of the blasts. Then place the first charge, move, second charge, move, third charge, then get just as around the other side of the nearest pillar to wait for the right timing on the wall breaches (pillar probably won't go down, since it will be massively more resistant to a charge even a meter away than if the charge was placed against it with Demo skill).

I've used bought successes for my Demo tests and the walls' resistances to keep it simple. (math on this crap is a nightmare)

So Aria - that's conservatively ten seconds for Al if this is combat time, which I'll assume is less than the time it takes for Drake-lady to run the brides through their vows.
I think we are still on "cinematic time" vs. combat time....is it cool I do a post running and dodging around and placing the charges? The biggest problem, of course, is that I have to cover some distance through this wild fight...maybe if I paid a couple of Edge for such a post to allow for having to take out a shadow or two on the way....?

That's the plan - trying to keep resolution simple - let me know what you think....

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4727 on: <12-19-16/1730:46> »
Did I ever say that Isaint is going to run?  8)

Main thing is to prevent the Shadows from getting more fuel.

But be careful with throwing explosives into an active summoning circle. It could already have a physical barrier going - or worse an elemental barrier that could pre-ignite your stuff. (That's why I want Rick's water spirit to test those defenses first)
talk think matrix

adamu

« Reply #4728 on: <12-19-16/1920:03> »
Glad to hear you are just siphoning off sacrificial subjects!!!

Anyway, I'm all for the spirit testing stuff!

But for the big blast on the altar/pentagram - whatever, long as it blows stuff up.

For the smaller stuff, not worried about elemental barrier because TNT doesn't go off just from contact with heat/fire - it has to have a starter detonation (blasting cap detonation).
Physical barrier would be a problem only if it's flush with the wall - though my blasts are big enough that, again, it would probably actually help by absorbing back-blast, while I'd still almost certaintly achieve the breach.

So if we get something back from the spirit, coolness.

If not, Al will likely proceed with his plan - although to be fair he is going to, as I said, send his plan out to the team first - maybe I'll IC just that much, and then the rest if/when I get the green light from Aria.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4729 on: <12-20-16/0130:32> »
I love it! The dragon slayer just asked Celedyr to 'hang around' ... if it's not too much trouble lol!!!

You have a green light for running and blowing shit up! The walls are painted wood so matchsticks time! I'd ask for some full def rolls but there's hardly any point with Al :)

Will give Mercy some time to do some matrix Shenanigans if desired and then we can move this merrily along!

Just out of interest, any of you know any of the Earthdawn stuff I'm peppering in here? Not that I wouldn't expect your characters to be flippant about it of course :D

Oh, and hope you're feeling better Jack!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

adamu

« Reply #4730 on: <12-20-16/0527:35> »
Wood???

No problem - Al would know that - I'll IC first if I get a chance, but tonight I'll re-run the heinous math on the two breaching charges. The wall won't absorb nearly as much now, so I will be using more, much smaller, safer charges (won't hurt the magic circle thing, but I can leave that to the big charge - which it now seems will blow the whole end of the building off!).

Once I get the IC up, I'll mark off the 2 Edge as offered.

And no, for Earthdawn I'm only familiar with the very basic, big-picture stuff (4th Age, cairns, ork/elf talk, and...it did sound like Celedyr was talking about Horrors coming through...).
But Al wouldn't know ANY of that stuff.

And I am excited to see what Robyn can do in the matrix here - yeah, she needs to get off the floor, but even a super-quick wedding ceremony has got to take 30 seconds - and that's forever in hot-sim VR....I wonder if the shape of the constellation she sees has any significance, or just wherever people's various nodes happen to be placed....
« Last Edit: <12-20-16/0529:32> by adamu »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4731 on: <12-20-16/0607:57> »
I'm pretty hazy on Earth Dawn lore as well, haven't played it at all. But as avid reader of the early SR novels I've a pretty good grasp on what kind of horrors try to cross over early.

Oh, by the way: Do we have some kind of amplifier for our performance? I'm assuming no, since it would clash horribly with the whole Celtic theme. So there is no good way to tell people what to do (if you aren't a dragon with dragonspeech and can address everyone you see at once)

But now that we have a picture of the great hall, I'm imagining the night sky to look like the one in Skyrim  ;D
talk think matrix

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4732 on: <12-20-16/0841:47> »
Adam, don't worry about the maths...it will explode, there will be big holes!  ::)  Once down in the crowd your stature will make tracking the exact positioning relative to the supposed ritual markings a little more difficult...perhaps Robyn can send you a feed...

Mercy, the matrix image has a striking similarity (although not identical) to the Planar Orrery in the Citadel game zone... I honestly can't remember if Robyn has been there?!?  Coincidence perhaps?!

Jack, no amp  ;D  but who needs an amp when you've got magiced up Murder Clowns?  ...or a dragon?  Skyrim isn't something I'm familiar with so couldn't possible comment on that one  :)

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4733 on: <12-20-16/1014:11> »
LOL  Looks like Robyn will not get a chance to do anything in the matrix.  She is being called back to the meat world to try to organize the evacuation, although I am not sure if a voice of reason will have any impact on people involved in fighting for their lives.  I will try, though.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4734 on: <12-20-16/1028:06> »
Well, for one thing you can try to create AROs for a faster evac and also indicate where the explosives are and where the safe zone will be. Since the matrix is one dimension the Shadow Spirits can't have access this might be our big advantage.

@Aria
You haven't played Skyrim? Well, probably just as well, otherwise you'd have even less free time  ;D
talk think matrix

adamu

« Reply #4735 on: <12-20-16/1119:01> »
Adam, don't worry about the maths...it will explode, there will be big holes!  ::)  Once down in the crowd your stature will make tracking the exact positioning relative to the supposed ritual markings a little more difficult...perhaps Robyn can send you a feed...

That's cool - as I mentioned, with the smaller breaching charges I'm no longer trying to double up wall breach + break the circle....But I've still got the massive charge at the center of their pentagram that makes the top of their pattern....

adamu

« Reply #4736 on: <12-20-16/1119:59> »
@Jack, I think it's drake lady doing the ceremony, not a mime...

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4737 on: <12-20-16/1208:41> »
Yes, drake not clown, sorry if there was some confusion!

adamu

« Reply #4738 on: <12-21-16/1537:19> »
So since the dragon made it so I didn't do most of my bomb-placing run I paid two Edge for, I'll take one of those two back....

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #4739 on: <12-21-16/1749:12> »
Sorry guys, can't access the site for the last two days! Very annoying! Will post tonight, if connection ion stays on.
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows