NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

pistolgrip

• Omae
  • Unfounded Ambition
« Reply #3900 on: <05-25-16/1117:42> »
@Jack - thanks, that's what I thought (regarding bg count). Al's killing hands mention was throwing me off. It looks like I'll just have to turn off my improved ability and not use my adrenaline boost. I should be able to keep the rest (including killing hands) if I understand correctly.

I'll roll for my equip tonight.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3901 on: <05-25-16/1143:13> »
@Jack: smoke is pretty thick...plenty of other ways to 'see' you, and danger sense/combat sense wouldn't need to ;)
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

pistolgrip

• Omae
  • Unfounded Ambition
« Reply #3902 on: <05-25-16/1646:02> »
That's right, their rigger is also an adept/magician. Maybe both. Aces.

Edit: realistically though, only clairvoyance or a drone could be at work here, and we should have ways of detecting either, right?
« Last Edit: <05-25-16/1648:04> by pistolgrip »

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3903 on: <05-25-16/1750:27> »
Don't forget ultrasound and radar, the latter can easily look through walls! Their spells will also be affected by the mana static!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3904 on: <05-25-16/1852:41> »
Ultrasound doesn't penetrate walls or windows, but radar would do very much so (although radar is limited to 20m range - which does raise the question just how close this van got).

It won't be a problem as soon as my jammer is back online - 12 effective noise should take care of the radar operator's ability to make his/her perception checks.

« Last Edit: <05-25-16/1913:33> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

adamu

« Reply #3905 on: <05-25-16/1922:18> »
Okay, I assume we're going to initiative passes about now.

Mine is 25 (sorry, still haven't figured out how to do that on Orokos). So now it is down to 20 with my Dive on Grenade interrupt.

A bit questionable, since I know it's a flash bang but Al doesn't.
But if you've been following the relationship Al and Robyn have been developing for quite some time now, I think you'll agree that Al would do just about anything to keep her alive.

The rules for this are not as crystal as I'd like, so I'll take whatever you decide, Aria.
It says:
The sacrifice means the character takes all the grenade damage and eliminates the blast. In the case of a gas grenade, this action cuts the effective radius in half.
Does this mean takes the full max damage, or has to soak against the full max damage?
And then just to be a wheedler, since a flashbang basically stuns with light and sound, wouldn't that actually be largely negated by having a body on top of it (or halved, as in the example of the gas grenade?)?
Again, I'll take whatever you rule with a smile on my face!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3906 on: <05-25-16/1929:35> »
You are still on top of a very strong fire cracker - cracking your ribs. But you are never denied your soaking unless it states "unresisted damage" as some drugs do.

And also cudos: That is a great gesture - even though Isaint will be furious as hell about it  ;D

Oh and yeah, Ini:
Ini: 16+4d6 27 [4d6=1, 5, 2, 3]
-5 for interrupt
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3907 on: <05-25-16/2305:06> »
Well played, Al, and a sweet gesture.  She will thank you for it later.  Robyn is telling you to throw it out the new hole and you should have time to do that since we are now playing in seconds, right?  I am sending Robyn out the hole and into action with the Hell Hound.  The smoke, noise, loss of motorcycles, and the explosion of the wall next to them ought to provide Robyn with surprise, since I do not think she is affected by any of that.  Her radar and ultrasound tell her exactly where the fraggers are and she already her whip out and ready by the time she gets to them and it has reach.  I think the flame from the Hound will add to the ganger's confusion, allowing Robyn and the hound to get close enough to attack.

Initiative:  Iniative: 10+1d6 12

Whip Attack:  Attack with whip.: 12d6t5 4  Hopefully by surprise.  Damage is 12P + Net Hits, AP-8

Hell Hound Initiative:  Initiative: 10+3d6 19

Bite:  Attack with Bite: 10d6t5 5  Damage is 7P + Net Hits, AP-1

My thought is that the field would reduce the flame attack to a power of 1 so is mostly just something to frighten the gangers and intimidate them.  Let me know if I have completely done this wrong and I can edit it.

Do we wait for Aria to resolve the action?

"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

pistolgrip

• Omae
  • Unfounded Ambition
« Reply #3908 on: <05-26-16/0128:30> »
Contacts Resistance vs Pulse 9d6t5: 5 [9d6t5=5, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 6, 3, 2]
Earbuds Resistance vs Pulse 9d6t5: 1 [9d6t5=2, 3, 2, 2, 1, 5, 2, 3, 4]
Commlink Resistance vs Pulse 16d6t5: 5 [16d6t5=5, 2, 6, 6, 4, 6, 4, 1, 3, 4, 6, 3, 4, 2, 2, 4]

Initiative 12+3d6: 26 [3d6=5, 5, 4]

I might need new earbuds.

Did we ever get a clear ruling on counterspelling? That's fairly pertinent at this point.

adamu

« Reply #3909 on: <05-26-16/0515:44> »
Robyn leading her WarBeast into the breech, clearing an escape path for the team!!!
Yes.
it is very cool indeed!

Robyn is telling you to throw it out the new hole and you should have time to do that since we are now playing in seconds, right?  I am sending Robyn out the hole and into action with the Hell Hound.

Hmmm - well, I can't throw it out that hole...because that is the same hole you and the others are going out.

Also, sadly, SR grenades go off much much faster than the traditional five seconds. In fact, I am pushing it to assume I can even jump on it before it goes off, but I figured "What GM will argue with me blowing myself up?!"
Trying to throw it will be a much riskier move ruleswise to Robyn, the dog, and other team members than just smothering it with his body, and protecting them is Al's highest value, so that is why I took the "jump on it" option rather than the "throw it back" option.

I would have just used the "run away" rules option, but I thought Robyn was staying in the room. I know I shouldn't assume other characters' actions, but Robyn's last IC post saying:
She resolves to stay near him so she does not lose him again.
made me think it was a safe guess.
Of course circumstances change, and that's all good.
In any case, even if people are leaving, probably not everyone is fast enough to get out before it goes off.

Anyway, I am cool with pretty much any outcome except Al lying on the ground huddled around a live grenade to save his friends and then having people go by saying, hey, why don't you just throw it?
And then he says, oh, yeah, right, and tosses it somewhere.
That's just not a post I can write.

So I think it all comes down to when exactly it goes off, which is down to Aria.

I see basically three options:
1. it goes off before Al reaches it. I can edit "dive onto it" to "dives toward it" and I'm happy to soak the full blast. The chance I took.

2. It goes off after I jump on it but before Robyn can act. Then Robyn's post could stay intact except for editing out the advice about throwing it.

3. It does not go off until after Robyn has a chance to act. In that case, I would again edit my post from "onto it" to "toward it" and tonight I'll post Al taking her advice and make the throwing it back rolls and see what happens (though I'll throw it back out the window, not out the new hole in the wall).

Aria - what do you think fits best with the grenade's timing?

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3910 on: <05-26-16/0809:36> »
RAW aside, this is a mini grenade (so about 20mm long x10mm wide ish), it's dark, there's smoke and everything is happening very fast!  From a thematic point of view I like the idea of Al jumping on it, but as it is a flashbang -which works by spewing an aerosol explosive and igniting it, it seems to be closer to a gas grenade than a traditional one so let's half the radius to 5m (and nobody is affected so you're good there!) and Al can resist 10S -4AP all by his lonesome!  Ouch!

War beast's flame will be more of a lighter flame than a flame thrower but by himself he's enough to freak out the two KIDS...they will be distracted when Robyn lops one of their arms off and Al2 eats the other one!

I'm assuming that allows Isaint to be at the rear breech too...

I'd forgotten about Radar being 20m...doh...it's about 60m from the estate entrance to the safehouse (The Audi building on Google Maps)...let's assume the shot happened at about 50m...whether the 'dodge' was due to 'combat driving' or something else you're not sure at this point and it's moot as the grenade response was the next thing on their list anyway...

I've added some more detail to the Google Map overlay to try and explain the situation as I see it... but you may disagree with where I've located things so just let me know and I can amend it...or you can perhaps, I think I've left it open to others to edit?!?

Aria

• Ace Runner

Zen Gypsy

• Chummer
« Reply #3912 on: <05-26-16/0815:05> »
Starting to work on Echo's Obsidian Portal entry.  Is there a preferred Stat Block format?  I am also trying to keep most of it in character per se, so we'll see how that turns out.  If it's too cluttered let me know.

Is there an area of the OP site where I can post a Journal Entry, or exposition type scenario so that prospective player's, GM's, get an idea of the mood, atmosphere, and personality of the character?

Thanks in advance, really looking forward to being a part of the ongoing story! :)

~ Zen

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3913 on: <05-26-16/0826:08> »
Starting to work on Echo's Obsidian Portal entry.  Is there a preferred Stat Block format?  I am also trying to keep most of it in character per se, so we'll see how that turns out.  If it's too cluttered let me know.

Is there an area of the OP site where I can post a Journal Entry, or exposition type scenario so that prospective player's, GM's, get an idea of the mood, atmosphere, and personality of the character?

Thanks in advance, really looking forward to being a part of the ongoing story! :)

~ Zen
I've added an optional format example to the very first post in this thread in the spoiler tags at the bottom...

But to be honest, as long as it's clear I think just ordinary text is fine.

If you want to start your own IC thread here for exploring your character that's absolutely fine, let me know and I can link it at the beginning of the OoC and you will start to accrue post rewards!

Don't forget contact write-ups in the Wiki are worth bonus karma etc!

adamu

« Reply #3914 on: <05-26-16/0832:10> »
Okay, so the grenade does go off under Al.

Thanks Robyn for trying to spare me, though!

Here is the soak, factoring for AP, damper/flare comp, and then Edge:
Soak jumping on flashbang: 25d6h5 9

I'll IC and declare my second action for the Combat Turn once other people have a chance to catch up with posts/actions.