NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3885 on: <05-24-16/1148:13> »
The Hawkeye quality, actually  ;)
But yeah I forgot about range. If its within 20m I have no penalties, if it's within 40m I'd have to subtract one die (which wouldn't change the result), if it's within 60m, I'd loose one success. But the base damage of 12 should suffice even with only 1 success to transform the transporter into a roadblock.  ;D

talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

adamu

« Reply #3886 on: <05-24-16/1324:07> »
Nope, where ever you have a dice bonus from magic you suffer a -5 dice pool penalty.
This leaves Ini intact but reduces defense if you have Combat Sense active (which is the reason Isaint didn't call up attribute boosts but instead relies on focused concentration and adept centering)

Oh man that is sweet. I guess I'll effectively lose my precious Combat Sense (which I don't think I can turn off) since I don't think you can center defense tests, but I can easily Center the rest away.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3887 on: <05-24-16/1327:58> »
You can turn off all powers you want. But yeah, centering is the way to go.  ;D
talk think matrix

adamu

« Reply #3888 on: <05-24-16/1755:51> »
You can turn off all powers you want. But yeah, centering is the way to go.  ;D

Hmmm - it says powers that don't have an activation cost are always available. So if they can't be turned on, how can they be turned off?
If you've got a reference to being able to turn off intrinsic powers I'll be much obliged.
But the way I read the example of anyone who has Killing Hands (which doesn't add dice) taking the penalty on their Unarmed attacks, I have to assume that just because I have intrinsic powers like Critical Strike and Enhanced Accuracy than I am stuck with the -5 on my melee and ranged attacks. Which sucks, but I'll deal.
Like I said, if you've got a more clear reference then I'll owe you a soykaf.

And yeah, the Pulse spell is super vague.

Here is my 9 dice for general electronics (basically my tag eraser - ironic!) and my 16 dice for my commlink and medkit's computer.

resist for electronics: 9d6t5 1
Does that mean I need a new tag eraser?

16d6t5: 7 [16d6t5=4, 3, 5, 6, 1, 4, 2, 2, 6, 1, 5, 6, 6, 2, 5, 1] (sorry, messed up the copy/paste on the bb code)
But I think maybe my commlink is okay???

Are we doing initiative yet?
Or just a few actions as they approach?
Right now I am doing what was in the IC - talking to Jackhammer, and ready to blow the wall as soon as Isaint takes any fire - which I sort of assume will be pretty much instantly.
Also readying weapon and switching to internal air.

Once I make the hole in the wall, well, the idea is that we try to get out and away as directed by our leader...I guess my subsequent actions depend on who actually does that.
I suppose everyone understands it's a good idea, but some will not want to leave for various perfectly valid RP reasons (Al can't leave Isaint behind without making a fairly hard roll, due to his totem rules).
This will lead to chaos, which will hurt us, but that's the hilarity that ensues when you mix pink mohawks with black trenchcoats!

So I suppose Al will either be yelling at people (as if he knows best - and yes, of course he does), or shooting at anyone coming in - whichever seems to become expedient first.

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #3889 on: <05-24-16/1825:08> »
Both Rick and Yukika have Counterspelling?

Aaaand is Rick on his astral Scouting already?
« Last Edit: <05-24-16/1837:48> by DireRadiant »

adamu

« Reply #3890 on: <05-24-16/1913:04> »
Both Rick and Yukika have Counterspelling?

Aaaand is Rick on his astral Scouting already?

If Rick's already a lump of meat, Jackhammer can probably take care of him.

And can you do something about this mana static whatever it is?

pistolgrip

• Omae
  • Unfounded Ambition
« Reply #3891 on: <05-24-16/2250:35> »
Minor note to Jack, I believe the smoke is *outside* the building. Your posts seem to suggest you assume the smoke was launched in through the windows. I assumed the same thing at first, but I don't think that's what the post says.

Would someone a little more rules-savvy help me figure out this pulse business? My electronics amount to contacts, earbuds, micro-transceiver, and commlink R4.
As for the bg count, what book is that in? Just core? I need to figure out what powers are still good to go.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3892 on: <05-24-16/2337:34> »
So, it looks like Robyn comes through that pretty much unscathed?  Cool.  Much of her stuff is cyberware. 
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3893 on: <05-25-16/0245:32> »
@pistolgrip
Yeah, you are right - I read mortars and immediately assumed they would use them to smoke the inside of the house. I'll remove that sentence.
Regarding pulse: You roll for electronics 9 dice, for commlink 16 as their object resistance. The more successes the higher the chance it won't be fried.
Background count is detailed in Street Grimoire. All your powers function, but you have a negative dicepool mod of 5 if they modify your dicepools.

@adamu
I've read about either in the errata or in the errata thread. I'll look it up, but I'm 100% it's RAI to be able to not use your powers and therefore not be affected. Also, critical strike doesn't influence your to hit chance, therefore it wouldn't affect you with high background count.

Edit: Found it. It was a commentary from Bull: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=40603&st=75&p=1296526&#entry1296526

@DireRadiant
Good point, that would be a very, very important step to reduce the severeness of mana static. Since that is a permanent effect, you should be able to dispel it even after it's taken effect.
« Last Edit: <05-25-16/0301:23> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

Zen Gypsy

• Chummer
« Reply #3894 on: <05-25-16/0612:04> »
Obsidian Portal Campaign Page <<Stormy Waters>> note this contains campaign data, map links etc.  I would prefer all players to have an account (it’s free) and maintain their characters there, and there are in-game rewards for doing so (see below).  Let me know your user name and I can invite you to the page.

Hey there Aria, any chance I could get an invite to the OP page, it's Zen_Gypsy on Obsidian Portal?  That way I can start importing the work I have done on my Runner that Mercy Merchant has invited to the Tangled Currents thread.  Thanks for your time and hope to chat with you soon! :)

~ Zen

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3895 on: <05-25-16/0814:18> »
@CoF:

Mana static - it specifically says under the rules for background count that adepts can spend a SA to deactivate an 'always on' power to ignore the penalty

Don't forget the penalty to magic for dispelling it!  ...although I'm not sure about dispelling a permanent effect as it has taken place and is no longer a spell as such...anyone got any further RAW that I can look through?!?  You can't dispel a heal spell once it has done its thing?!?

@Adamu: pretty sure the Pulse will have knocked out the electrical circuits in the detonator - sure, you specified it's a pull cord but something still needs to create the spark to ignite the plastique...I'm assuming it's not a burning fuse, dynamite type thing?!?  Feel free to disabuse me of this notion, I'm no great expert!

Not to worry, Jackhammer can easily make a hole in the wall, although he will need to remember the -5 penalty if he uses an adept power!

@Obi: I'm happy for Deckard to have 'seen' the approaching gangers and choose to cut short your astral recon if you like...don't want you to miss out on all the fun!  I guess that means you might have seen the mana static spell building but for the sake of my sanity and not retconning several posts we'll assume you missed that one by being back in your body?!?
« Last Edit: <05-25-16/0817:03> by Aria »
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3896 on: <05-25-16/0818:10> »
Obsidian Portal Campaign Page <<Stormy Waters>> note this contains campaign data, map links etc.  I would prefer all players to have an account (it’s free) and maintain their characters there, and there are in-game rewards for doing so (see below).  Let me know your user name and I can invite you to the page.

Hey there Aria, any chance I could get an invite to the OP page, it's Zen_Gypsy on Obsidian Portal?  That way I can start importing the work I have done on my Runner that Mercy Merchant has invited to the Tangled Currents thread.  Thanks for your time and hope to chat with you soon! :)

~ Zen
Invite sent!  Don't forget to prefix your character name with 'TC', thanks!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3897 on: <05-25-16/0830:02> »
There are non-electrical detonators that are expressively used to avoid stray currents from fucking with them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonator

@Mana static
Rereading Dispelling, it explicitly talks about sustained or quickened spells, so no luck there. But the spell text talks about "once the spell is made permanent", so I'd assume there is a window - like with heal - where the spell could be attacked.
In any case there would still be Spell Defense used as an interrupt action for the initial casting.
talk think matrix

adamu

« Reply #3898 on: <05-25-16/0852:52> »
Big thanks to everyone on the adept/background count rules help!
That will be super useful.

As for the detonators, I was thinking non-electrical like the one's Jack offered the reference to.
But I, too, am no expert!
Let me poke around a bit tonight and see if I can find a solution that makes everyone happy.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3899 on: <05-25-16/1036:11> »
No need  ;D