NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #2670 on: <08-26-15/0142:12> »
@Kinkerbell I was more referring to the reach of the whip than its damage. You are right, whatever it passed through it will cut.
That said, the monowhip as per its description is 2m in length, and dangerous to use. 2m would be slightly above the size of its user...
an 50cm monowhip, while vicious when it touches, would certainly not have the reach one would worry much about. Double it at 1m, it still less reach than a sword.

itty bitty state of the art Farflight Caliban we're talking here....

I see the pale sooner than you then it seems :) nevertheless, we're all trolls in this campaign, I won't care much for some extra munchkin.

@Gilga, sorry to see you leave! I'm guilty of following all three of the runs you've done. Nice GM stylre. If there is room, I'll certainly be interested in partaking! 
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2671 on: <08-26-15/0239:54> »
@ Obidancer

I hear you, I was thinking carefully about what gear I was going to use. Quite frankly there isn't anything that isn't ridiculous for a Pixie to be using when they come in at under 50cm. As such I tried to keep things within the realm of sane. The monowhip is a deadly weapon no matter how strong you are, and yes it would be extremely difficult for a Pixie to wield, on the other hand it's extremely difficult for a metahuman to wield. This is why the monowhip is an Exotic Weapon, no matter who is using it it take extremely specialized training to wield.

As for the bracelet comlink, I figured it a form factor that would be more suited to a pixie than the traditional form factor that would wind up bigger than my head.

Do recall however that the Run and Gun section on Pixies mentions a Pixie using a modified rifle. That said, when it comes time to use that taser, I'll be treating it as a two handed weapon.

@ KB, Aria decided to call in the Troll +100% lifestyle adjustment, so I'm now at a 20,000 a month High Lifestyle which means I'm paying an extra 10,000 a month for getting all my gear modified.

Sorry, post is a little rambling. Still rather sick and feverish so responding to stuff as it comes to mind.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2672 on: <08-26-15/0245:28> »
I have an other question: Why?

Maybe I missed something, but what is this new character about? I get that KB felt uncomfortable playing Goodnight, but why are you changing your character again, especially now that we are heading above ground again where we really could use the rigger?
Or should we all now start dual character wielding?

@gilga
 : :-\  :(
Mages just don't last in this game...
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Kinkerbell

• Omae
« Reply #2673 on: <08-26-15/0253:10> »
@Kinkerbell I was more referring to the reach of the whip than its damage. You are right, whatever it passed through it will cut.
That said, the monowhip as per its description is 2m in length, and dangerous to use. 2m would be slightly above the size of its user...
an 50cm monowhip, while vicious when it touches, would certainly not have the reach one would worry much about. Double it at 1m, it still less reach than a sword.

itty bitty state of the art Farflight Caliban we're talking here....

I see the pale sooner than you then it seems :) nevertheless, we're all trolls in this campaign, I won't care much for some extra munchkin.

@Gilga, sorry to see you leave! I'm guilty of following all three of the runs you've done. Nice GM stylre. If there is room, I'll certainly be interested in partaking!

See the pale?

You'll have to explain that. I don't get the reference, it seems.

And I wouldn't call it munchkin. He has, in fact, chosen the one melee weapon that can compact to an incredibly small size and doesn't really on mass for damage. As for fluff, a pixie can wield a monowhip vastly differently, using small alterations in flight path and lateral movement to crack it rather than an arm motion. It might be more of a full body experience, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Yeah, the gun is a little nuts but again, a taser actually makes a lot more sense. You don't need a hell of a lot of conductive material to transfer the shock.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2674 on: <08-26-15/0253:49> »
Why is a little complicated... In the past couple of weeks I've been bouncing around between leaving the game entirely, sticking with Nitro or swapping out.

As for the point of the new character, it's a spellcaster. Which with gilga's decision (which I predicted) means we just lost out last spellcaster. It was Aria who raised the idea of me running both characters, and Nitro may even be popping up in another game as well. What I'm going to be doing long term I still don't know, I will state now that I'm tracking characters separately for rewards.

I may wind up playing both long term. I may drop one for the other. I may still wind up leaving entirely. This is basically an experiment.

For now, I'm a type of person who feels a need to fill in holes int he groups I play with. And right now we have two holes for spellcasters and riggers, and I am, for now at least, setting myself up to fill them.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2675 on: <08-26-15/0257:17> »
I had thought about dropping Tobbis to play a mage of my own. I've got one who was in a game that got disbanded, so I'm a tad sad about that. But we also don't really have a matrix presence anymore either with Snow and Solo both gone.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #2676 on: <08-26-15/0259:38> »
See the pale?

You'll have to explain that. I don't get the reference, it seems.
Don't mind me, just my bad English as second language. it was just referring to your phrase "isn't beyond the pale"

As for fluff, a pixie can wield a monowhip vastly differently, using small alterations in flight path and lateral movement to crack it rather than an arm motion. It might be more of a full body experience, but there's no reason it wouldn't work.
That's a good point, didn't think it that way.

@Nitro  As long as the GM has agreed, it's good by me.

Kinkerbell

• Omae
« Reply #2677 on: <08-26-15/0301:32> »
Ahhh, okay. I understand now.

And yeah, I have the advantage of having played a pixie battlemage before (where my handle comes from), so I had to justify stuff like this once before.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2678 on: <08-26-15/0305:34> »
@ ScytheKnight
Fair enough,
although I really have a IP problem with constantly expanding and shrinking team rooster.

I really like playing with you, but it really stretches the suspense of disbelieve to trust two new characters to join the team this late. There will be a massive amount of distrust to overcome (especially in view of GN and Nitros interactions). IP my trust in Torrent has also gotten a few cracks because of this.
And no, just because they are very efficient killer machines won't make them more trustworthy.

I guess what I'm asking for is an addition to the team that wants to work in a team and does behave as such.
talk think matrix

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2679 on: <08-26-15/0313:29> »
@ ScytheKnight
Fair enough,
although I really have a IP problem with constantly expanding and shrinking team rooster.

I really like playing with you, but it really stretches the suspense of disbelieve to trust two new characters to join the team this late. There will be a massive amount of distrust to overcome (especially in view of GN and Nitros interactions). IP my trust in Torrent has also gotten a few cracks because of this.
And no, just because they are very efficient killer machines won't make them more trustworthy.

I guess what I'm asking for is an addition to the team that wants to work in a team and does behave as such.

There's unfortunately not much that can be done about that. From what I can tell, in any PbP game you're going to have comings and going and this has been a tumultuous game. And yes, I have added to that and I do apologize for that, but I haven't done so frivolously. The steps I've taken have been done so after spending time thinking about and considering my options, then discussing those options with Aria.

I will admit I was... concerned about this type of reaction to this idea. So if others have anythig to say about it, I would like to hear it so that I can take it into consideration.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #2680 on: <08-26-15/0324:53> »
Well I'm with Jake_Spade as far as team integration goes. Gaining our trust is not going to be easy, but with the right attitude and circumstances I believe it is feasible. If the characters are not 'imposed' on us but manage to assist the team in its goal then it'll be easier to take on people.

The more they disappear, the stronger the original nucleus will get. And there are enough people to not feel they need to be replaced. (well there was, now we kind of really need a Mage, it seems)

Kinkerbell

• Omae
« Reply #2681 on: <08-26-15/0331:08> »
The thing about attitude is that it has to be met halfway. Dolly is easy. She has no emotions whatsoever unless she's chipping them under normal circumstances. But that was half the problem with Goodnight. Yes, she was volatile and unstable, but there was a reason if anyone cared to ask, and when people did, she started calming down around them specifically. But she wanted to help the team and got short-shafted every time, as SK pointed out in his suitably epic rant. Can't integrate if the team isn't going to even consider trust. I can understand treating her like unexploded ordinance, that's to be expected. But treating her like a child is what led to her being retired.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2682 on: <08-26-15/0336:55> »
It's all about attitude and first impressions: GN started out with a massive emotional explosion which made it an uphill battle for most of us to accept her.
Frankly, in my opinion its the newcomer who has to invest the effort to be accepted.
I'm not talking about humiliating yourself, but name calling and trying to assert dominance is definitely not the way forward to acceptance.
talk think matrix

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #2683 on: <08-26-15/0345:46> »
I wasn't around enough to be judgmental about how things escalated with Goodnight. From all I read it was good RP. If anything, there are a time and place about digging deeper into the character and that timing may have been wrong with GN. That said I still need the time to dig into the Frenchman! tough thing.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2684 on: <08-26-15/0348:28> »
It's all about attitude and first impressions: GN started out with a massive emotional explosion which made it an uphill battle for most of us to accept her.
Frankly, in my opinion its the newcomer who has to invest the effort to be accepted.
I'm not talking about humiliating yourself, but name calling and trying to assert dominance is definitely not the way forward to acceptance.

So basically...

"Here's exactly what my character is like and a whole bunch of stuff you can use as hooks to start interacting with my character"

"Meh, whatever."

*sighs* ya know what? nevermind... I wanted to play this game to have fun with powerful characters with strong opinions and glaring character flaws, ones that wouldn't necessarily get along or even give each other the time of day otherwise... but due to circumstances they need to band together.

But it's now just getting to the point of this shit just ain't fun. And if it ain't fun, it ain't worth the time.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor