NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

adamu

« Reply #2655 on: <08-25-15/0817:26> »
@CoP - so assuming we are going to continue with the deal we've just concluded with eTher, we need a spot to do it.

Sadly, our characters have little idea where we are, and we as players have even less. But at least some of our characters are nonetheless passingly familiar with London - I vote we get the heck out of the UnderCrazy and up to the surface. Our main pursuers already know we're down here, and probably will expect us to remain as long as we can...might even be a tactical advantage to getting out.

Moreover, the surface may be more exposed, but it also offers vastly more maneuverability than tunnel world here. And our characters operate up there much more effectively up there (contacts, vehicles, knowledge, etc etc) than down here.

So what I personally suggest is
1. We either ignore or deceive whoever sent this new text.
2. We pick a good spot on the surface for a handover.
3. We get out of darkworld ASAP and then proceed to a staging position for the handoff.
« Last Edit: <08-25-15/0823:23> by adamu »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2656 on: <08-25-15/0828:29> »
I agree.
1. I'm for misdirection - something along the lines that we go deeper into the underground
2. Yeah, I'd suggest a meet near a military installation or a power plant that provides a clear incentive not to violate their air space.
3. Jupp, more options to run away is a pretty good incentive in my book.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2657 on: <08-25-15/0832:42> »
If Nitro can get some half decent maps he can guide the group to another major part of the underground... being a Getaway Driver he's invested a bit in skills, qualities and gear for navigation.

We may also need to investigate this rioting on the surface, will either be good cover, or something we need to stay the hell away from.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2658 on: <08-25-15/0846:25> »
Nightside is more or less under the Lambeth Containment zone...not sure if there's a copy of the London Sourcebook map knocking about online, will see what I can do!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

adamu

« Reply #2659 on: <08-25-15/0910:35> »
Aria - yeah, that sourcebook is online for free, and not too hard to find after some hit and miss on different sites.

But of course we all know Lambeth Containment Zone bad medicine.

Question is whether it's better or worse for us than Nightside.

Sounds worse, in which case, beeline for first exit not in Lambeth!

adamu

« Reply #2660 on: <08-25-15/0912:53> »

2. Yeah, I'd suggest a meet near a military installation or a power plant that provides a clear incentive not to violate their air space.

Great idea!

adamu

« Reply #2661 on: <08-25-15/1652:46> »
If Nitro can get some half decent maps he can guide the group to another major part of the underground... being a Getaway Driver he's invested a bit in skills, qualities and gear for navigation.

We may also need to investigate this rioting on the surface, will either be good cover, or something we need to stay the hell away from.

Well, we have matrix access where we are - good maps of down here may not be readily available on the white market, but it's the Sixth World - if knowledge exists that somone is willing to pay for...

Torrent knew enough about Nightside to hire a guide, maybe he can rustle up a reliable map - just something that shows some exits...

Likewise with the info on the riots - that should be an easy matrix look-up..

adamu

« Reply #2662 on: <08-25-15/1708:14> »
Okay - since everyone who's posted on the matter seems in favor of getting to the surface, I read up on Lambeth Containment Zone.

Basically just a Barrens. Seems a lot less hostile environment than Puyallup Barrens. Everyone poor, lots of gangs, crappy infrastructure.

The big drawback is that there is a heavy military presence there to keep order, and given that some of the people hunting us seem to be government-affiliated, that could be bad indeed.

Other side of the coin still stands, though.
In a tunnel, you've only got two directions to run in - and down here, we don't know where either one goes.
Out there, we can move in any direction, and we'll know where we're going, and have access to various resources that we don't while cooped up down here.

So I still vote for up up up.

If we must move out from under Lambeth, well, it's a big area - would be good to have some idea where in it we are. Lambeth borders West End, the Dogs, and Southside, as well as a big Arcology. If we knew what we were close to, we could consider those.

Finally, though, not trying to derail anything.
Both tactically and personally, Al wants out of here.
But if it is important to the game that we stay, I'll find a way to convince him otherwise.

Kinkerbell

• Omae
« Reply #2663 on: <08-25-15/2042:16> »
I think Aria has a way to keep us in the tunnels if desired. However, to add my two cents to the Containment Zone, while its not quite as overtly hostile as written, its also got this horrible legacy of mutation and experimentation that kind of exploded during the Crashes, so god alone knows what's running those streets. Also, as Nitro and I have written some more-awful-than-usual shit into Lambeth in our respective stories thus far, it may be more dangerous than the 1e/2e books say it is.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2664 on: <08-25-15/2239:56> »
OK so Nitro is making some purchases... primarily calling in an old offer to get his car armed to protect any convoys down the track.

So, the rundown is:
Concealed Heavy Weapons Mount (just assuming a +50% cost to a standard heavy mount)
RPK HMG /w Smartgun and Safe Targetting System /w visual upgrade and extra profiles
Smartlink upgrade to front camera
500 rounds of Ex-Explosive HMG ammo
Total Cost - 33,675

Now then, for the new player on the scene.

Character Sheet

Connecting to JackPoint VPN...
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>>Enter Passcode: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
YOU’RE IN. USE IT WELL.

Welcome to JackPoint, please enter your query.

Accessing Runner database, street name: Shahin

Metatype: Pixie
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 47cm
Weight: 15kg
Eyes: Steel grey.
Hair: Unknown.

* Unknown? Seriously?
       * Hellfire

* This guy has never been spotted without a cap. If it's ever been forcefully removed, no-one has spoken up about what's underneath.
       * Razerdance

Distinguishing features: Typical Pixie wings of a dragonfly style.
Date of birth: Unknown
Place of birth: Unknown

* What the dreck... we don't know his real name, hair colour, age or where he's from?
       * Chromesong

* There's a lot we don't know about this guy. Seems to have arrived in the scene out of no-where with enough skills to be dangerous.
       * Razordance

SIN Status: Corporate - Evo subsidiary dealing with metasapiant relations and integration.

* Whoa, an Evo corp drone in the shadows of London? REALLY? Why hasn't someone wasted this guy yet?
       * Hellfire

* Because there's something iffy about it. Evo is a bit tighter on their SIN security than the national databases but Ive done some poking around. Everything seems to be in order, there's even
          some documentation floating around the EVO mainframes to back up his existence. But here's the kicker, look carefully enough and this paper trail all originates with a single person inside
          Evo London.
       * Jackal

* So a handler then?
       * Hellfire

* Or an inside man.
       * Jackal

* Inside man for what?
       * Razordance

* Must be pretty hard for a Pixie to maintain a fake SIN in London. Evo is one of the few corps who'll issue a SIN to Pixies, could be he has help on the inside maintaining his.
       * Jackal

* Assuming that is the case, that kind of help wouldn't come for free.
       * Razordance

* No, it wouldn't.
       * Jackal

Known Languages: English (Native), Iranian.

* Apparently he also knows some of the ancient forms of Iranian as well.
       * Chromesong

Street Name: Shahin
Typical role: Mystic Adept
Notes: Seems to be a holy warrior of the Zoroastrianism faith. Be careful, most Zoroastrianisms who get into a fight are loud and use lots of knockout stuff. This guy is quiet and kills without a whole lot of hesitation. Most Pixies in the shadows just rely on their natural ability to hide, this guy uses a modified chameleon suit as well as some training to hide and watch out for that monofilament whip he carries.

* Word to the wise, if you ever face this guy don't expect spirits to save you. That whip is actually a weapon focus and will take spirits apart pretty easily, even if they haven't materialized.
       * Shadowspell

* Personal experience?
       * Hellfire

* Yes. Thankfully he was on our side.
       * Shadowspell

Appearance: On a job you're probably not going to see this guy much, a Pixie's natural Concealment coupled with a modified chameleon suit and training can make him almost impossible to stop.

* You might expect the Matrix to give him away, but it seems that his comlink has been modified with a Sleaze dongle.
       * Jackal

Off the job, he doesn't get seen much. He does have a Synergist Line business suit if things are a little more face-to-face and he knows how the corps expect things to be done.

* So still so sure he's not an Evo drone?
       * Hellfire

* That or smart enough to learn what's expected to not blow his cover.
       * Razerdance

Known History: Here's the biggest blank. Before a couple of years ago there's no real mention of this guy, he just suddenly shows up in the London scene and start making some serious waves.

* You're just looking int he wrong places.
       * xxxxxxx

* Who the hell is this? What do you mean?
       * Jackal

* There are places in London with much deeper shadows.
       * xxxxxxx

* How the heck is this guy posting without a display name?
       * Chromesong

* OK here we go and... dreck. I tried to run a trace and he vanished. About the only thing I got was some code from old Matrix architecture, pre-wireless stuff.
       * Jackal

* Pre-Wireless Matrix? Some people still use that stuff? How does it even connect with the new stuff?
       * Hellfire

* I don't know, it's probably something jury-rigged to tap into a wireless broadcaster. As for why? Best guess is it's some place that hasn't been upgraded since before Crash 2.0
       * Jackal

* Wait, there's places in London that don't have any post 2.0 infrastructure?
       * Chromesong

* In? No. Under? Yes.
       * xxxxxxx

* Damnit he's back again! What's he talking about?
       * Hellfire

* Must be talking about The Underground. Makes sense, that place was officially abandoned even before Crash 2.0 . If our mysterious poster is right and this guy is from The Underground,
          it's no wonder we haven't heard of him until he hit the surface.
       * Jackal
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Kinkerbell

• Omae
« Reply #2665 on: <08-25-15/2350:58> »
That...was exceptionally cool, Scythe. Way to make your OOC post IC, and smooth job with the shadowtalkers. Putting me to shame, man.

Damn. Now I gotta do one.

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #2666 on: <08-26-15/0031:44> »
@Nitro No offense to you or your skills as a player which I value, but allow me to frown upon the equipment a pixie would be allowed to possess.
At a foot and half tall, there's so much one could adapt to fit:
A bracelet commlink mean players could purchase a ring or earing as their 'link.
A pistol size gun would be totally unwieldy. One that could fit on a pixie's hand could be the size of half a palm of a regular human's hand. No way this could be as powerful or efficient as a regular one. Darts would barely have enough power to pierce your skin, let alone clothing.
Similarly with a monowhip, whip size range from x1 to x3 your size. Over that would become extremely inefficient to use. At 1m30 or 4 feet  that whip would be much less effective, in range (reach) and ability to precision.

I know GM has final say, and in any case I'll be more than happy to play along, I though my point was worth mentioning.

All that said, I LOVE how you presented the character as a Jackpoint thread. Pretty awersome.
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

Kinkerbell

• Omae
« Reply #2667 on: <08-26-15/0038:29> »
+50% cost modifiers to size everything for a pixie.

Monowhip is largely irrelevant in size. They'er commonly carried in an area the size of a fingernail. The stuff compacts like crazy. And actually a monowhip is like 6m long. Its pretty damned unwieldy for a human. Which is why they have nasty glitch rules. If we assume he's 1/4th the height of an average human, his palm would be...what? 3cm wide or so? Bigger than a fingernail, anyway.

Bracelet sized commlink on a creature a foot and a half tall is a little small, but one that takes up the whole forearm would be a small but not-unheard-of size. 5e doesn't have 4e's Attitude equivalent out yet, but there were miniaturization rules in there for itty bitty little links. Their stats were crap, but there is precedent. *Shrugs*

The gun is a little hard to justify, though you could probably explain it away as a prototype miniature mass driver. Darts are a LOT lighter than bullets.

But at the end of the day, pixies get a huge cost modifier in order to not have to justify anything that isn't totally beyond the pale.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2668 on: <08-26-15/0110:18> »
Guys, I am sorry but I am a bit too busy now that I started running my own game.
So this is goodbye for now.

Kinkerbell

• Omae
« Reply #2669 on: <08-26-15/0111:53> »
Guys, I am sorry but I am a bit too busy now that I started running my own game.
So this is goodbye for now.

I wish I could say I didn't see that coming, but...

Good luck with your games.