NEWS

Suicidal Player Stories

• 37 Replies

Quoth

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <08-20-14/2045:56> »
I recently had an almost dead player decide to lay down and fall asleep in the middle of the Redmond barrens.  The team's face had panicked while talking to an Aztechnology johnson, and sold out their only magical contact, so when they needed some help, they were sh-- outta luck.  So tw oof the runners go looking for him, a street Sam and a gumshoe ex lone-star with a few drug problems, trek out into the barrens to find where he used to camp.  The guy was a wolf shaman with Algonquin blood who lived in a yurt in the middle of a trash crater.  Now this gumshoe!'a in a bad way from the last run, and needs magical healing from this shaman ASAP, so when they arrive and find his crater empty, the gumshoe lies down in the middle of the crater and falls asleep.  I dunno what the drek he was trying to do with that...  Maybe dream connect?  Kinda clever, but not in the barrens.

I think they missed my harrowing description of the barrens.  Regardless, the street Sam plays good partner, and watched over him from the edge of the crater with his nihama optimum.  So, I throw a pack of five barghests at them.  Panic ensues because the gumshoe's hurting, and he doesn't even start running until they're about 4 yards from him.  The street Sam tries to shoot them down, but his gun jams, and in a hearbeat, the hounds are all over the gumshoe.  Cue gory death scene.

This group plays a lot of pathfinder with a very forgiving dm, so even though I describe them ripping out his jugular, and feasting on his insides, the street Sam still thinks he's got a shot.  In an earlier run, they'd gotten an amulet or a few that aztech was using as magical laser pointers for bringing something into this world from other places (neither aztech or the players know it, but what they're summoning are horrors,) and they're activated by bleeding on them.  So the street Sam pulls his out, cuts his hand on it, and poof, huge gorilla with Shark's teeth and spines on his back is glaring down at the street Sam. 

The face who is running in to try to save the whole situation arrives just in time to see his street Sam get picked up by his ankle, and bit into like a fried chicken leg.

That changed the way they play the game.

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <08-21-14/0750:40> »
...That doesn't really sound like a suicidal player story, more of an asshole GM story... You DID tell him that going to sleep in the middle of the street is a bad idea, especially in the Barrens, right? It should be common knowledge for player characters. Unlike dream connecting. A pack of five barghests against one guy and his nearly dead friend? Did you WANT them dead?

And then you killed the other player too for trying to save the situation. Or himself, I guess. Well done.

Richtenstahl

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <08-21-14/1012:58> »
Well, I had this charakter who didnīt end up dead,but only because Iīm a "nice" GM:
So there was this Maffia-Ork-Adept, always walking around his his super chiqe suit and with his weapon-focus-naginata over his shoulder. This naginata had cost him so much that he didnīt have money for a car anymore.so he decided to walk through the barrens to wherever he wanted to be.
A few perception-rolls later he realized he was being followed by a gang, which, a little later, asked him nicely if they would please give them his cool weapon, his nice suit, his credsticks oh, and everything else he had, but they would leave him alife for it.

As I said, Iīm a nice GM, he survived, he even kept his gear. But unfortunately he was angry with me OOC, because he felt like I was picking on him and creating trouble for his character out of pure spitefulness.

It couold have been a suicidal action though...

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <08-21-14/1239:00> »
Pretty bold move from a gang to approach someone who is clearly wielding his sword out in the open and wears a suit. Especially after that Adept would use his lighting-fast reflexes to, say, decapitate one of the gangers. Or just tell them he's with the mob. Or both. how DID the encounter end up, really? I'm curious to hear.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <08-21-14/1259:07> »
With a sword like that, getting stopped by cops (even in the Barrens) seems far more likely than a gang deciding to mug you. I can definitely see why the player would think that.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #35 on: <08-21-14/1605:54> »
...  A naginata isn't a sword, it's a full-on polearm, at about two to three meters in length.  It's like an assault cannon of melee weapons.  Makes me want to make an adept with a kanabo/tetsubo who goes by the name Oni now, though.

I can see both sides of the debate on that, however; if he's Mafia, then he should either have a reputation, or be able to call on it when they approached him to avoid a fight.  The sheer fact that's he's some dude walking around in what sounds like a pimp-suit with a giant-ass blade on his back should be pretty discouraging as well (or enticing, maybe.  Disassemblers might take that as a challenge).  But I could see a gang setting up an ambush where he's obviously surrounded by guns (preferably automatic ones) and hope reason kicks in. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <08-21-14/2038:43> »
Oh right, I mistook it for a wakizashi... My bad.

But yeah, the ambush seems more likely than approaching directly on a street...

Wolfshade

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <08-30-14/1717:54> »
 Had a player walk out on the sidewalk in downtown DC in full combat armor with a LMG on a harness. Had the audacity to ask why I was picking on him when the Lonestar FRT showed up and planted him after he "resisted arrest" with bursts from the LMG.                Gene pool cleansing,