Shadowrun 5th: Where to Start?

• 6 Replies

Artemis Entreri

• Newb
« on: <08-05-14/0659:57> »
Hi folks!
Marco here, first post!

I'm an old time roleplayer, mostly GM.
I used to know Shadowrun since previous editions...I'd really like to jump into 5th edition (downloaded quick rules).

Here's the thing: I'm not really into "collectible" hysteria, but I do want some books to start with, with any game.
I'd really like to have (outside the corebook, obviously):
- a good setting book (Seattle? Is it fully 5th-compatible?);
- a couple of option books (to cover up more options for every character).

What do I get? :)

Thanks a lot!
M.

TheDai

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <08-05-14/0802:10> »
Since Seattle 2072 has no Rules in it, it is fully compatible to to 5th ed. It lacks 3 years of History, but the city itself hasn't changed that much. Just a few Names might be different now.

The two big Rulebooks after Core are Run&Gun (Armor, Weapons, additional Combat stuff, Unit tactics, explosives) and Street Grimoire (Magic Sourcebook).

Then there is Stolen Souls, a Setting Book (New York or something like that? haven't read it), an update of what's going on in the World right now, a lot of Breaking and Entering and a few Rules and Items in it.

After that there were a few very little PDF's (~20 pages each): Gun Heaven 3 (about 30 Guns in it), Coyotes (about getting through the Borders of States), Assassins Primer (about Assassins, quite boring if you ask me), Bullets and Bandages (about healing people, haven't read it)...

and I think that's it.

I would definitely get Run&Gun, Street Grimoire has (if you look into the Threads on this Forum) a few problems and probably should only be bought if you have a Mage who wants every little inch of what's currently possible. And the rest seems absolutely optional. My group has most of them, but almost never uses them in any way. Even our groups "Full time, big grumpy Assassin" doesn't care much about Assassins Primer.
One dagger in the night is more valuable, than thousand swords in the morning.

biotech66

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-05-14/1013:58> »
My advice is to pick up the core book and the first Shadowrun Missions -Chasing the Wind.  It will give you the basics, setting, and an adventure.  The core book does a pretty good job introducing the world and the adventure helps you understand the trouble the players will face.   I'd start there.  If you like what you see, then setting books and the options books are awesome.
Speech|Thought|Matrix|Astral

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-13-14/2240:33> »
Welcome aboard! :)

I started back in last year - so started out in the same place you are now. I second Seattle 2072; and I'd add 6th Wold Almanac for a good timeline - general world info. Core books have been mentioned; I'm currently reading through Storm Front, which is the transition from 4th to 5th edition. It has a lot of good info and hooks - I'm enjoying it at any rate!  ;D

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-18-14/2157:43> »
I second the Sixth World Almanac. It gives little blurbs about how we got where we are in the 2070s and gives little blurbs about most countries so you have a starting point anywhere in the world to work from! It seems to be the most referenced book on the wiki as well
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Mevarion

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-29-14/0907:49> »
The Sixth World Almanac one of the better of a long list of resources at your disposal. I have not been over Street Grimore yet, but Run and Gun is worth it. The Almanac isn't quite Dunkelzahn's Will, but probably one of the greatest setting backgrounds for working almost anywhere with accuracy.

MrGray

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-20-14/0925:36> »
like you I really like the 5th rules after that I think any campaign mission book would do fine
may have to twik in some ways or rebuild the npcs.
or you can be very brave and really put you creation cap on and make you own world and make it as big or small as you want
if you pick a city make sure you know the city
There is no black and white only Mr.Gray

Register