NEWS

Replacement for Shadowland BBS?

• 4 Replies

Adder

« on: <08-03-14/0025:34> »
Hey all,

I'm just starting to GM a SR5 campaign tomorrow, and I'm really excited to finally be able to play Shadowrun!  I'm familiar with a lot of the lore of the game and have played the Genesis and new PC games as well.

My understanding is that the original Shadowland BBS (which I loved) has been replaced by Jackpoint.

However, I find the replacement a bit lacking.  As far as I've read, Jackpoint = a small group of trusted individuals talking about stuff, with the occasional guest subject matter expert.  That works all well and good for sourcebook material and such,  but where does the average shadowrunner go now?

For example, where would you go to sell paydata?  Or check out rumors on the latest run that was in the news?  Or just general shadow community stuff?

If anyone knows what the replacement "should" be, please let me know!  Otherwise I'll probably have to make a new version of the Shadowland BBS, since it's so useful for plot and convenience.
« Last Edit: <08-03-14/0039:16> by Adder »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <08-03-14/0251:13> »
Welcome Adder,

Shadowland may have been the most popular shadowy exchange in previous editions, but they were far from the only player in town.  Some of these locations still exist.  Here's a brief list of known data havens or information exchanges:

• Azziewatch Data Haven
  • Danzig Data Haven - German data haven for the city of Danzig
  • Denver Data Haven - AKA the Denver Nexus, a data haven run by technomancers (covered in Storm Front)
  • DIVE (which is oriented toward dragons)
  • Hacker House - Worldwide information exchange
  • The Hauge Data Haven
  • Helix Data Haven
  • Kalinin Data Haven
  • MagickNet - Exchange for magic, and magic-related information
  • Manchester Data Haven
  • Morgue Data Haven
  • Mosaic Data Haven - Based in Vladivostok
  • The Outpost
  • The Round Square - Based in the Carib League
  • ShadowSea - Based in Seattle
  • Singapore Data Haven
  • Warezhouse - Worldwide exchange of software, programs, and hacks

If your runners are in Seattle, they're VERY likely to have some sort of presence on ShadowSea.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-03-14/0308:12> »
ShadowSEA basically is the old Shadowland, as I understand it, but post-Crash it wound up being more local.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Adder

« Reply #3 on: <08-03-14/2101:29> »
Great, thank you!  ShadowSea works perfectly for my purposes :-)

Vendetta Violent

• Newb
  • Shaman & Rockstar
« Reply #4 on: <08-04-14/1311:58> »
And don't forget, as just a straight out feed you always can use VU93 in campaign like I do. Side bonus of actual runners keeping it up (and extremely lore friendly). Could even get an unexpected run out of it!