NEWS

Using Merit/Flaws from other systems for Shadowrun

• 3 Replies

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« on: <07-25-14/0029:27> »
     Likely to get yelled at, but what the hey... 8)

Anyone try to adapt the Merits/Flaws of, (for example), White Wolf''s {CLASSIC}World of Darkness to expand the merits/flaws to use for character creation?
If so, let me know. :)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <07-25-14/0959:50> »
I love White Wolf's merits and flaws system.  :)

I think something like that is what is covered (more or less) by the Qualities system.  But I'd love to see some Qualities that are less impactful on the game, and thus cost less karma.  My hope is that Run Faster will expand on the qualities a lot.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Davidvs

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <07-27-14/1502:33> »
Coming back to the game last fall, after over a decade break, I was very sad to see that the disadvantages offered so little in the way of role-playing and were simply there to hurt the characters. Anything that adds more RP chances in the form of disadvantages would be great. SR could certainly learn a lot from some of the other systems.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <07-28-14/0024:23> »
Coming back to the game last fall, after over a decade break, I was very sad to see that the disadvantages offered so little in the way of role-playing and were simply there to hurt the characters. Anything that adds more RP chances in the form of disadvantages would be great. SR could certainly learn a lot from some of the other systems.

As much as I can agree with you on this, I've never felt that SR really rewarded roleplaying as much as more fluid systems do.  I think it'd be easy enough to throw in some really simple ones though, and I expect Run Faster will have a whole slew of new positive and negative qualities.  Some really basic ones could be color blindness, a verbal defect (lisping or stuttering), and daydreaming.  Those might be worth about a point or two of Karma, and only require the player to roleplay the related negative qualities.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.