NEWS

House rule idea: Quick Melee

• 47 Replies

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <07-27-14/1545:24> »
I think various upsides melee have, -dice to fire while in melee, the fact you can run and melee with a bonus, are all really balanced out by the fact guns, y'know, can shoot at range.  Range matters.  If you're stuck in a closet with someone, though, melee should have a lot of use, and it does.  The dmg values are typically much higher for firearms, unless you're often mentioned cybered troll.  I don't think any of that has much to do with whether it's a simple or complex action. 

Melee Attack (Simple Action)
A character may make a melee attack by taking a Simple Action (see Melee Combat, p. 184) but may not take any other attack actions in the same Action Phase. If a character has one weapon in each hand, he may attack once with each weapon by adding a Multiple Attacks Free Action (see Multiple Attacks, p. 196). Off-hand modifier always applies to this use of multiple attacks (see Attacker Using Off-Hand Weapon, p. 178). If the two weapons are not of the same skill type (e.g.: a club and a blade, or a blade and a fist) then the lower of the two skills is used to determine the attack's dice pool for both attacks. When making multiple attacks in this way, you must split the number of strikes performed with each weapon as evenly as possible with any odd/extra attacks being made by the main hand (i.e.: if you make 2 attacks, one will be with the main hand weapon and one with the off, if you make 3 attacks, 2 will be with the main weapon, and 1 with the off, 4 attacks = 2 main / 2 off, 5 attacks = 3 main / 2 off, etc.).

Melee Attack (Complex Action)
A character may make a melee attack by taking a Complex Action (see Melee Combat, p. 184) but may not take any other attack actions in the same Action Phase. A character may attack multiple targets within melee range by adding a Multiple Attacks Free Action (see Multiple Attacks, p. 196). If a character has one weapon in each hand, he may choose to strike twice with the same weapon, or once with each. Off-hand modifier may apply (see Attacker Using Off-Hand Weapon, p. 178). If striking once with each weapon, and the two weapons are not of the same skill type (e.g.: a club and a blade, or a blade and a fist) then the lower of the two skills is used to determine the attack's dice pool.

OK, I can get behind that, it's basically a more formalized version of what I said, with addition to a small advantage for having two weapons, which is good, cuz there isn't any currently.  (maybe there's something with R&G martial arts techniques, not really important). 

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #46 on: <07-27-14/1637:37> »
<snip>
thanks, Ive got some reading/refreshing ahead of me =)
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #47 on: <08-05-14/1327:18> »
Offensive posts have been removed and users have been banned for inappropriate condut. Please play nice, kiddies.