NEWS

Anyone else annoyed by these tactics?

• 138 Replies

SnackerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #135 on: <08-07-14/2135:38> »
I plan to buy the core rulebook again once/if it is reprinted with proper errata.

P. T. Barnam would be proud of you.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #136 on: <11-05-14/1917:03> »
My personal judgement on when a game needs a new edition:

When your rules clarification FAQ is approaching the size of a sourcebook in and of itself, it's probably time to re-examine and streamline in a new edition.

This is assuming that the rules publisher in question maintains an actively updates FAQ.
Agreed.
One of the things I love about Battletech is that 25 years later, its basically the same game.
A few small changes to the rules, but if you hadn't played in 15 years, you would still recognize 90% of what you see in the rules.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #137 on: <11-05-14/1935:12> »
Okay, see I totally get expanding stuff with new books, but when you purposely include items that require stuff that isn't even out yet, or for that matter isn't even officially announced and with a street date it just screams of treating your customers as nothing more than a wad of cash you can pluck from whenever you want. 

I don't like it.  Anyone annoyed and upset by this kind of tactic?

As annoyed as I am by the piss poor quality control on this book, I'm ambivalent about this. I would rather the books reference each other than ignore each other.

Maybe it would be different if you needed these powers/spells to use the traditions, but that's not the case. They're just suggestions on how to build your character.

I agree with this sentiment.  Would you complain if it referenced a spell in the core book?  How about "Run and Gun"?  Or is it only that it is referencing a book that hasn't been released yet?
Books referencing each other is a time-honored tradition in RP books.  Why do you assume it is an error?

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #138 on: <11-06-14/2106:52> »
I plan to buy the core rulebook again once/if it is reprinted with proper errata.

P. T. Barnam would be proud of you.

He'd have loved me. I bought the SR5 core book 3 times. I preordered the regular edition through Amazon. Then when the PDF hit, I grabbed it via DTRPG. When I finally decided on getting the deluxe edition, I bought it again (and it included another PDF copy, iirc). Part of the delay of the special edition decision was due to the knowledge that the print version had as much errata as it did. But then, I buy special editions to look pretty on my bookshelf, so I went for it anyway.

Would I buy it again if an errata free version came out? Probably not, that's what I have the PDFs for: errata corrections. Though if in 4-5 years they give it an SR4A treatment, with errata, I'd consider it.

-Ariketh