NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #885 on: <03-19-16/1230:27> »
Regarding the MAG/ESS issue the devs did little to properly define order of operations in how things get done during character creation.  And really the same goes for the karmagen method.  Believe me, I think the way I described the proper behavior is pretty cheesy but until TPTB want to issue any clarifications it is a valid interpretation of the rules. 

However, whichever method you choose to go with the current functionality is not correct.  Under this scenario if I do not raise either special attribute with karma I can distribute my special attribute points after lowering essence however I like and I am not charged any karma.  I still loose the points from my starting magic attribute that was based on my Magic priority selection and that is correct either way.  But if I then raise either special attribute by karma I'm getting charged an extra 50 or more karma depending on how I distributed my special attribute points from my Metatype priority selection.  That's just not consistent behavior. 

Also, in my case I would point out that the character I was creating started with a magic attribute of 2 (Magic D (Adept 2)) and I lost 2 essence bringing my current magic attribute to zero (0) and my maximum magic to 4.  I then spent four special attribute points to raise my magic to its max value of 4.  At no time did I dip below zero for my magic attribute.  Yet it still charged me 65 karma to then raise my edge from 1 to 2.  That is amount of karma to raise magic from zero to four plus raise edge from zero to two.  I've attached my character file if you want to look at it.  It was done using the current release build (178.)

anchoress

• Chummer
« Reply #886 on: <03-21-16/1853:59> »
Yeah, i reported the MAG problem a few weeks ago. Until then i discussed this fact with my group and also in the german forum. I have to second Jim. And for Karma Generation it seems to be legal and common pegasus support stuff sense, that it is totally allowed to first buy 'Ware and then raise up your Magic attribute. It seems a bit cheesy, but on the other hand: This way people can awake even after having 'Ware implanted, which would not be possible otherwise. So in my understanding and without further clarification of CGL in Karmagen you are free in your choice order to buy stuff with your karma/nuyen. So buying stuff for 2 Essence and then bringing your MAG rating up to - lets say - 5 should cost (10+15+20+25 =) 70 karma. Should be easy to implement in Chummer, also. IMHO this is a very straight forward way of calculation the costs.
« Last Edit: <03-21-16/2006:32> by anchoress »

anchoress

• Chummer
« Reply #887 on: <03-21-16/2006:15> »
Like explained in this bug ticket:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/issues/664
the error in karma gen still occurs (tested in the Nightly build 5.179.769).

Steps to reproduce:
1) Select karma gen.
2) Select human.
3) Buy Cyber- or Bioware with essence cost between 0.05 and 1.0.
4) Select a magic archetype (adept, aspected magician, magician or mystic adept).
You are now always charged 10 more karma points then you have to pay for the archetype (i.e. 30 instead of 20 for adept, 40 instead of 30 for magician and so on). This is not correct.

Alternative way to reproduce:
1) Select karma gen.
2) Select human.
3) Select a magic archetype (adept, aspected magician, magician or mystic adept).
4) Buy Cyber- or Bioware with essence cost between 0.05 and 1.0.
You now lose 10 karma points. For what? Additionally, MAG stays at the rating of 1, which is incorrect, because losing essence reduces your current MAG rating. So if you lose a point of essence while having MAG at rating 1, it should be reduced to 0. Of course, if you FIRST buy your cyberware and THEN add the magic archetype it should start at rating 1, because it wasn't there when you bought the 'Ware. So in this case the order of purchase is important. Which is a bad thing for the chummer program, in my opinion. So regarding consistency i wouldn't charge anything for implanting 'Ware on awakened characters (in character generation! - after chargen it should of course reduce the magic rating like it is stated in the rules).

Sadly i can only really speak for karmagen, since i am no expert in Priority or Sum210 builds. But this is my opinion on karma gen at least.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #888 on: <03-22-16/0553:43> »
Hrm. Think I found it. Should have something soon.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #889 on: <03-22-16/0847:34> »
Are hand loads (Hard Targets) hidden somewhere that I can't find?
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

boongeebee

• Newb
« Reply #890 on: <03-25-16/1408:55> »
I have an issue where at least two of my skills revert back to an earlier rating after I raise them upon opening the file again. Can you help me? What do you need to check this out?

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #891 on: <03-25-16/1419:43> »
If this has been addressed, I apologize.

When spending Power Points, buying more than one level of the power results in the level resetting to 0 and there being a negative price. I have tried this with and without discounting for Way. So far it has happened to me with Combat Sense and Improved Ability (Pistols)

Thanks

DV
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #892 on: <03-27-16/0221:14> »
Are hand loads (Hard Targets) hidden somewhere that I can't find?
...for the time being, I just went into the gear file and added them for my characters. Cost is 125% book price per 10 (round up for odd results like Gel Rounds)  I did both +1 to DV and -1 to AP noting it as either (DV) or (AP)
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #893 on: <03-27-16/1823:22> »
Regarding the MAG/ESS issue the devs did little to properly define order of operations in how things get done during character creation.  And really the same goes for the karmagen method.  Believe me, I think the way I described the proper behavior is pretty cheesy but until TPTB want to issue any clarifications it is a valid interpretation of the rules. 

However, whichever method you choose to go with the current functionality is not correct.  Under this scenario if I do not raise either special attribute with karma I can distribute my special attribute points after lowering essence however I like and I am not charged any karma.  I still loose the points from my starting magic attribute that was based on my Magic priority selection and that is correct either way.  But if I then raise either special attribute by karma I'm getting charged an extra 50 or more karma depending on how I distributed my special attribute points from my Metatype priority selection.  That's just not consistent behavior. 

Also, in my case I would point out that the character I was creating started with a magic attribute of 2 (Magic D (Adept 2)) and I lost 2 essence bringing my current magic attribute to zero (0) and my maximum magic to 4.  I then spent four special attribute points to raise my magic to its max value of 4.  At no time did I dip below zero for my magic attribute.  Yet it still charged me 65 karma to then raise my edge from 1 to 2.  That is amount of karma to raise magic from zero to four plus raise edge from zero to two.  I've attached my character file if you want to look at it.  It was done using the current release build (178.)

I'm not sure what you are looking at but order of operation is clear for priority.
Assigning special points and attribute points happen before spending resources.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #894 on: <03-27-16/1954:36> »

I'm not sure what you are looking at but order of operation is clear for priority.
Assigning special points and attribute points happen before spending resources.

Which if you read the whole post you would know that's fucking irrelevant.  Chummer was still doing it wrong.  Fortunately it sounds like its been fixed.  I have not desire to mess with the nightly builds so I'll just wait for the next release build. 

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #895 on: <03-27-16/2311:15> »
So the way Chummer's been coded, Essence Loss during character creation is only charged against the Base values. Ie you have a MAG score of 1 and an Essence Loss of 2, you'll be charged 5 karma because the Base value can't go below 0. It works a bit differently for priority, but that's essentially working as intended. There's an odd intermittent problem with this setup that's occasionally making it charge more. I haven't quite figured out what's causing it yet, but haven't had much development time spare the last few weeks, so it's slow going. Still, fingers crossed to have something sorted in the next couple of days.

As for hand loads, I haven't quite decided how to handle them yet; creating multiple entries for each ammunition type is the quick-and-dirty approach, but I'd prefer to do something else with it; I don't like bloating the data files with variants of the same object.

Boongeebee, your issue is related to skill groups; it's something we're working on in the newskills branch of Chummer, where the other dev's rewritten the skills system to be a bit more robust and less nightmarish to support. Not quite ready for prime time yet. If you could send your chum5 file to chummer5isalive@gmail.com, I'll take a crack at fixing it up for you.

Digital_Viking, should be fixed in the latest nightly build. It's an issue with free levels from mentor spirits or foci, for the most part.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #896 on: <03-28-16/0725:22> »
Thanks!
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #897 on: <03-28-16/1945:08> »
Digital_Viking, should be fixed in the latest nightly build. It's an issue with free levels from mentor spirits or foci, for the most part.

Just tried with the latest nightly build (5.179.775 DEBUG BUILD) - when I purchased Improved Ability it was set to 0 and I could not increase the level. I had a Way purchased if that helps.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #898 on: <03-29-16/1924:31> »

Just tried with the latest nightly build (5.179.775 DEBUG BUILD) - when I purchased Improved Ability it was set to 0 and I could not increase the level. I had a Way purchased if that helps.

NM - I wasn't buying the skill before I bought the power so that was why.

I am a goof :)

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #899 on: <03-31-16/0332:33> »

As for hand loads, I haven't quite decided how to handle them yet; creating multiple entries for each ammunition type is the quick-and-dirty approach, but I'd prefer to do something else with it; I don't like bloating the data files with variants of the same object.
...the issue with the complexity is that in Missions you can only purchase handload ammo while in a home campaign scenario characters with Armourer skill can make them, so it seems to be somemwhat unwieldy to implement to cover both bases. As I am in Missions play I decided to just edit the Gear data on my own like I mentioned.  Yeah it's a pain but at least I have the proper values and prices.
« Last Edit: <04-04-16/2120:14> by kyoto kid »
Forsaken daughter is watching you