NEWS

Sybill virus (CFD): Possible cures?

• 70 Replies

JimmyCrisis

• Omae
« Reply #60 on: <06-14-14/0525:48> »
Let's get unethical. Give them what they want. The tech exists to make clones, but if I remember rightly, the clone was just meat without a mind. Let the CFD provide a mind and it's good to go.
Not a cure, but may buy time to find one.

OOooh!  And you can bargain with the CFD infected clones to become CFD hunters!  Who better to know how to detect and destroy the virus than the virii themselves?  They could hunt their rogue brethren down and give them a choice - new body or deletion.  After all, if you're willing to be >really< unethical, you can always apply enough energy to a quarantined host body until the virus goes away.

There's no way that can go wrong, I'm sure.

Trollbait

• Newb
  • Soycaf. Now!
« Reply #61 on: <06-14-14/0554:28> »
Nah, the CDF clones get made into cyber zombies and sent out to hunt Shedim. Worth it for the giggles.
Stay calm and aim carefully

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #62 on: <06-14-14/0833:38> »
Let's get unethical. Give them what they want. The tech exists to make clones, but if I remember rightly, the clone was just meat without a mind. Let the CFD provide a mind and it's good to go.
Not a cure, but may buy time to find one.
I believe it is peace in our time.
--Neville Chamberlain
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #63 on: <06-18-14/1820:10> »
I defend my comment further by showing that the NAN nations are a bit better at conservation of their natural environment, and Astral manipulation which the authors translated into an opportunity to take the lead in Matrix development (Pubelo).
Sorry, I'm seeing zero correlation between those factors. I may be a classist, but just because the PCC aren't the same type of serfdoms as the megacorps doesn't mean that they're suddenly doing all the right things.

Also, many of the elves claimed that they had existed thousands of years ago (this would be in the Earthdawn era) and so they had a moral imperative to build their nations anew.
Of course, nothing like manifest destiny could possibly be at play there.

Also: ninja'd by Mirikon.

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #64 on: <07-24-14/1020:32> »
I was digging through Parazoology 2 and found this sitting on pg 37:

Nanoplasmosis

This unusual protozoan infects nanosystems, destroying the nanites as if it were a competing species. This protozoan not only feeds off the organic compounds found in soft nanites, but it has the ability to resonate a field that jams individual nanites. Nanoplasmosis degrades nanites faster by any remaining Power rating it has after a disease Resistance Test. If the Power is reduced to 0, one nanosystem is still permanently reduced by 1. If an infected subject has a nanohive, the protozoans infiltrate the system, preventing the creation of new nanites. The going hypothesis is that the protozoan Awakened within a netzumi and is transmitted through fecal matter.

Is it just me or does this seem like a perfect way to cure CFD?

Gasp

• Newb
« Reply #65 on: <07-24-14/2054:14> »
To cure it, no, since i dont see how you could restore the damages done to the brain. But it can be a good way to stop the nanite infection, with limited damages if used on early stages. Or maybe the nanites will just adapt. And then, we are screwed.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #66 on: <07-26-14/0230:08> »
Or maybe the nanites will just adapt. And then, we are screwed.
It's not like these are The Borg. As to Nanoplasmosis, that does sound like a cure - though like many cures, it can't repair damage already done so there are going to be a lot of people with many small scars.

Given that this sounds like a hard nanite plague so far, I'm still not sure why an EMP couldn't wipe out most or all of a host's current sybil-infected nanite population.

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <07-26-14/0609:12> »
Or maybe the nanites will just adapt. And then, we are screwed.
It's not like these are The Borg. As to Nanoplasmosis, that does sound like a cure - though like many cures, it can't repair damage already done so there are going to be a lot of people with many small scars.

Given that this sounds like a hard nanite plague so far, I'm still not sure why an EMP couldn't wipe out most or all of a host's current sybil-infected nanite population.

Oh, it probably could. But given that you have millions of frying electronics right next to an organ that functions with electric currents, either the electrical discharges would damage the brain or the heat from all those microcircuits frying would. (Or both!) While it might work, arguably the cure in this case is worse than the disease.

Brain damage to the host kinda defeats the purpose of "curing" the victims.

-Ariketh

martinchaen

« Reply #68 on: <07-26-14/1134:48> »
Fairly sure the nanites infected with CFD are both hard and soft, or the events of Stolen Souls might have been slightly different.

As for Nanoplasmosis, yep! Sure sounds like a cure; the question is, can it be administered as a precaution?

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #69 on: <07-26-14/1152:27> »
I figure it could be used as a vaccine, provided people aren't irrationally squicked by the thought of the same kind of parasite that has possible ties to suicidal thoughts, encephalitis, and other neurological and physiological disorders.  Also, that a form of toxoplasmosis makes rodents seek out cats to be devoured and spread the protozoan.  Imagine if the nanoplasmosis started doing that for some kind of Emergent analog? 

Finally, it might be easy to spread!  It appears that a very large number of the human population has some form of toxoplasmosis in their system.  Nanoplasmosis, deployed along similar vectors, could subtly prevent CFD expansion.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <07-28-14/1351:26> »
I figure it could be used as a vaccine, provided people aren't irrationally squicked by the thought of the same kind of parasite that has possible ties to suicidal thoughts, encephalitis, and other neurological and physiological disorders.  Also, that a form of toxoplasmosis makes rodents seek out cats to be devoured and spread the protozoan.  Imagine if the nanoplasmosis started doing that for some kind of Emergent analog? 

Finally, it might be easy to spread!  It appears that a very large number of the human population has some form of toxoplasmosis in their system.  Nanoplasmosis, deployed along similar vectors, could subtly prevent CFD expansion.

Now I want a run focused on starting worldwide epidemic of nanoplasmosis. Or at least sprawlwide.