NEWS

New group has crazy ideas

• 6 Replies

Xicidis

• Newb
« on: <06-03-14/0649:46> »
So I'm running a campaign for a new group of players. The last character to be made decided to be a chemist/alchemist. After talking with another character who has a lot of gang contacts, they decided they should start selling drugs and start up a cartel and maybe even their own gang. We haven't even played yet and they are doing some crazy stuff.

So, what should I do? If I start a campaign and they decide to just start building a drug empire and I'm not really prepared for that, do I just ask them to put it on hold, or squash them like a bug with cops? I don't want to be a prick, but I also want to be able to run a game with a plot.

Thoughts?

Mr.Sarsaparilla

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <06-03-14/0716:31> »
Well, you don't need to make it easy for them. Running a cartel or jump starting your own gang isn't walk in the park. Realistically, they get ganked by the competition before they get the thing going. More estalished players on the scene don't take kindly to wannabes running around competing with their merchandise or bringing heat from law enforcement with their idiot antics. If they get too eager slap them down a few times but with clear message that with proper effort, planning and gaming they can achieve their goals.
If they play ball, you can start to incorporate things that make their plans more viable into your campaign (getting contacts, resources, right kind of reputation etc. through playing the campaign runs.). I've had loads of player that have  had grand designs right off the bat and often they find out that getting those things too easily isn't actually that fun. So, summarized, my advice is: If they plan it, put effort in it and invest in "gaming" for it, reward it, if on the other hand they expect to become Pablo Escobar over night, make them pay with interest...

As we all know, in the sixth world, everything has a price  ;)

Xicidis

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-03-14/0732:38> »
That's a good idea. Thanks :)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-03-14/0740:23> »
One possible approach, by the way, is to simply give them a few runs to get it started, and if succesful, tell them their characters are now retired and to make new ones. Or tell them in advance that if they get this done, it will result in their retirement as runners.

You may also want to have a chat with them and say that while you understand their desires, you're currently not comfortable with offering such a campaign.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #4 on: <06-03-14/1048:54> »
If you didn't have much in mind for the greater campaign arc, there's nothing wrong with letting those goals guide the sessions if it interests you too, but as MC indicates starting/operating a gang/cartel isn't really Running. No doubt the skill-sets of Runners could be handy in doing the "exciting" parts of it (taking out rival leaders, sabotaging labs, smuggling loads, fighting over territory, etc.), but in reality the people who run the gang don't do those things - that's the mooks who become cannon-fodder for Runners. It's largely manipulating and managing people - and make no mistake you'd probably have to have a lot of people who believe in and trust you to successfully build a gang from the ground up. Also, make no mistake, you shouldn't feel obligated to let their goals dominate your story if you had one that you were excited about and wanted to tell that doesn't mesh with this aspiration.

But maybe that last part is just my view because I game with close friends who respect each GMs turn at the helm as our buddy's chance to tell a story they've probably been working on for quite some time, and even value that GM's vision and want to see it manifest, maybe that's not your situation?

And don't get me wrong, there should be room in a campaign for players to explore character aspirations, but if you envision Runners jetting to Berlin and Tokyo and what not, players who are obsessed with fighting over blocks in the Sprawl is a pretty big conflict. If they're building their PCs around this concept, and you're not 100% on board, definitely tell them that this is not the kind of campaign you're running. If you play frequently enough that there's room for that substantial of a subplot, that's great they can work on those goals in their down-time, but really you're the one that has to put time and effort into planning all this stuff, it's okay to say no.

theDregs

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-03-14/1216:59> »
Having players who all agree on which direction they want the game to go, and are all actively participating is a good thing. Run with it!
« Last Edit: <06-03-14/2216:31> by theDregs »

Xicidis

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-03-14/1221:53> »
You guys have some good ideas. I will keep this in mind. :)

Thanks a lot!