NEWS

What is Qingong??

• 11 Replies

MWillner

• Newb
« on: <05-24-14/1540:56> »
In the stat block for Imaginary Annie Goldsmith, she has the quality "Qingong 2".

I can't find any reference to this.

Any ideas?

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #1 on: <05-24-14/1607:27> »
I think it's a typo for Qigong. It's a Chinese meditative practice with some limited martial applications.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

MWillner

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-24-14/1709:06> »
Ok.

Now what does the Adept power Qigong 2 do?

It is not in the book either. (Nor are either of them in Run and Gun).

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <05-24-14/1732:57> »
Qigong was supposed to be the term for Light Body, per a conversation that I had with Giabraltar (he's the one who helped write that section).
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #4 on: <05-26-14/1350:01> »
Qi is sometimes spelled by westerners "Chi" is it not?
Are Qi and Chi two spellings of the same idea?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-26-14/1355:53> »
Yep! It's also, philosophically, the same thing as SR's mana.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <05-26-14/1547:43> »
Yep! It's also, philosophically, the same thing as SR's mana.

And perhaps literally the same thing in Shadowrun.  That would make "Qi Focus" seem a bit redundant or perhaps vague, but then it is one of the most flexible foci...
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <05-26-14/1713:43> »
For the record, the difference in spellings comes from two separate "standardized" ways of converting Chinese phonetics into English text.
The older Wade-Giles pinyin method appropriately lists the word as ch'i, which due to translations, transcriptions and simplifications transforms it incorrectly into chi.  Hanyu pinyin, the currently more used alphabet, has the same sound listed as qi in order to avoid confusion with the actual "ch" sound.

Incidentally, this is why you can see both the name Peking, and the name Beijing, and have no idea that they actually are the same place (and are in fact pronounced the same.)

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #8 on: <05-26-14/1724:22> »
For the record, the difference in spellings comes from two separate "standardized" ways of converting Chinese phonetics into English text.
The older Wade-Giles pinyin method appropriately lists the word as ch'i, which due to translations, transcriptions and simplifications transforms it incorrectly into chi.  Hanyu pinyin, the currently more used alphabet, has the same sound listed as qi in order to avoid confusion with the actual "ch" sound.

Incidentally, this is why you can see both the name Peking, and the name Beijing, and have no idea that they actually are the same place (and are in fact pronounced the same.)
Is this why i sometimes also see Qi spelled "ki"?
or are those different things?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <05-26-14/1730:03> »
Ki is the Japanese term for it.  Different language, different pronunciation, same word and generally same concept.

Edit:  Ki can also be used in Korean to represent the same concept, though sometimes Anglicized as gi, which shouldn't be confused with the Japanese gi which is a martial artist's outfit.   Aren't related languages awesomely confusing?
« Last Edit: <05-26-14/1733:14> by ProfGast »

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-26-14/1738:35> »
I think I've seen shows/manga or played roleplaying games where "ki" is more of a physical thing and "chi" more of a mental thing: so "ki" would be punching holes in walls, and "chi" would be levitating and stuff. Can't remember where, though.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-26-14/1741:37> »
I think I've seen shows/manga or played roleplaying games where "ki" is more of a physical thing and "chi" more of a mental thing: so "ki" would be punching holes in walls, and "chi" would be levitating and stuff. Can't remember where, though.

Golden Sun series.