NEWS

[WIP] Technomancer handbook

• 89 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #75 on: <05-21-14/0221:07> »
I forgot I asked Aaron this question a while back. Here's his answer:
Q: Can a data tap be attached to a wire and then accessed wirelessly for the purposes of hacking the device(s) on either end of the wire?
Yes. That's what it's for. You calculate the range to the data tap rather than the devices for purposes of  noise.

Another quote:

1) Can a Living Persona connect to an archive or device in a LAN or otherwise off the Matrix through a Data Tap that is set to Wireless?

If I understand your question (i.e. target to tap to technomancer), then yes.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #76 on: <05-21-14/0517:41> »
Thats some good info!
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #77 on: <05-21-14/1758:25> »
Something im currently working on is providing overwatch for your team. While in the meatworld you have terribe initice, matrix, it becomes very hard to match you with that overclock echo.

So as overwatch, your crew each wear sensors to givw you eyes and ears as you direct them wirh leadership and orher such things.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #78 on: <05-29-14/2114:09> »
Something recently brought to my attention, being silent mode doesnt hurt your resonance actions. So resonance spike + static bomb= matrix ninja

So that adds three archetypes to my handbook now. Actually.. four

Overwatcher - A technomancer who stays away from the action. Low meat space ability. Doesn't do much hacking themselves. Instead, is usually VRed into the matrix for the increase initiative. Uses Leadership through the matrix along with machine sprites to help the team. A real team player technomancer, despite not being one in much danger. Uses lots of feeds from cameras and other sensors they can get.

Technohunter - A Technomancer with low matrix presence. uses machine sprites and gear that can be boosted by them. Such as goggles with smartlink+vision enhancements and chameleon suit. Typically would use a sniper rifle or other such weapon to hang back away from the action as they still have lower than normal meatspace ability (Compared to adepts/street sam) Kinda functions more as an army of one.

Technoface - A Technomancer who focuses on Charisma based skills. Works like an in between of the technohunter/overwatcher, but uses armor like Ace of Coins for a crazy high limit to social abilities.

Matrix Ninja - A technomancer who focuses on bricking devices and other pests. high matrix ability, low meatspace. Particuarlly enjoys Resonance Spike and Static Bomb. Possibly even Resonance Veil. With this guy, using RV to make it look like you Disconnected, they would have to roll against that. Then roll against you running silent.
« Last Edit: <05-30-14/0209:35> by Triskavanski »

Oo Koo

• Newb
« Reply #79 on: <06-29-14/1042:49> »
I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if you get skilljack and skillwires and stick a machine sprite running diagnostics in both you can do this straight out of chargen and cheaper/more effectively than anyone with plain jack/wires.

rayous

• Newb
« Reply #80 on: <07-25-14/2024:33> »
Triskavanski, What programs do you recommend for Resonance [Program] echos? Signal scrub seems nice as its a constant level 2 resonance channel (better because its just a flat 2 reduction vs reduction of distance). Hammer from how its worded seems like it would work with resonance spike. Wrapper might be nice as you could disguise yourself then use resonance veil to tell systems that the icon you look like just gave the correct codes/etc. Biofeedback could just be mean against spiders (provoke them into killing themselves on your massive full defense resonance+willpowerx2 firewall defense).

I'm curious to see what programs impress you.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #81 on: <07-25-14/2038:42> »
Well, unfortunately the Echo is pretty lame, and does accent one of the largest problems I do have with the technomancer, being the development bottleneck, since its thirteen karma at least for a handful of nuyen.

Biofeedback would be one I'd take though. Since my technomancers have seven will power to start off with, along with my first goal of getting the pain editor.

Wrapper would be another one, but mostly because it makes it harder for people to ID you while you're blasting them from running silent and you have resonance veil up to make it look like something else is doing the blasting.

Sneak is another one. The reason for this one would be if you're commanding sprites and one of them gets blasted by GOD, then they shouldn't be able to get your physical location.

Hammer is another possibility. It does not specify matrix action, but any action. So it could add in to your DV for Resonance spike

Lockdown is yet another, again it doesn't specifiy the damage has to come from anything particular. So this, + Hammer +Biofeed back could result in some dead hackers,

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #82 on: <07-26-14/0325:29> »
fork aint too shabby either.
(let you hack two devices or hosts at once without splitting your pool, open two maglocks at once without splitting your pool etc)

but i would probably get overclocking and one rank of mind over machine over program echos

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #83 on: <07-26-14/0426:40> »
fork aint too shabby either.
(let you hack two devices or hosts at once without splitting your pool, open two maglocks at once without splitting your pool etc)

but i would probably get overclocking and one rank of mind over machine over program echos

Pretty much same here.

With Overclocking, you can have the fastest Init on the team while running VR. Pretty much no one can match your speed, especially if you work on the stats that influence this. Personally, my technomancer ideas kinda evolve from this and using leadership to give lots of bonuses to the team by doing several leadership tests in each combat turn.

Its part of the reason I don't see them as a direct Hacker like a Decker, but someone who sits back and lets others do his work for him.

Davidvs

• Chummer
« Reply #84 on: <07-26-14/2330:04> »
I'm about to do Submersion for the first time. I would appreciate some suggestions on which Echo to take first. And what order to get other ones. I have a low Cha so I try to be sneakier and less on the attacking. Outside of matrix stuff I am the party doctor.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #85 on: <07-27-14/0104:13> »
Well, some of it depends on what you intend on doing. If you are more of a Decknomancer and not intending to use a drone, Overclocking can help you make a lot more actions in combat. If you are using a drone, MOM is basically the first echo I'd take, as that gives you combat ability now in the meat world.

Combined with OC, and some machine sprites, your ability to use that drone rapidly increases.

Otherwise if you are not using VR a lot, and you have no intention of using a drone, go for programs, particularly the ones that do something other than add a point here or there.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #86 on: <07-27-14/0152:25> »
Just to be clear, I feel like the archtypes you have listed here are very close (if not identical) to some "classic" hacker/technomancer archtypes. Tell me if I'm wrong and/or what tweaks would be needed to make your "modern" archtypes be more like their "classic" equivalents; or how the new 5e rules have forced the classic archtypes to be modified into what you have listed here.

Overwatcher - A technomancer who stays away from the action. Low meat space ability. Doesn't do much hacking themselves. Instead, is usually VRed into the matrix for the increase initiative. Uses Leadership through the matrix along with machine sprites to help the team. A real team player technomancer, despite not being one in much danger. Uses lots of feeds from cameras and other sensors they can get.
This sounds very much like a spider. Is this basically a spider-mancer?

Technohunter - A Technomancer with low matrix presence. uses machine sprites and gear that can be boosted by them. Such as goggles with smartlink+vision enhancements and chameleon suit. Typically would use a sniper rifle or other such weapon to hang back away from the action as they still have lower than normal meatspace ability (Compared to adepts/street sam) Kinda functions more as an army of one.
This sounds like a dronomancer, except you describe the sprites as boosting non-drone devices. I like the idea, but I'm curious if this is basically the same thing or not. That is to say, could this character just as easily have their machine sprites jump into a few drones and tear stuff up that way? Or is this somehow fundamentally different from the build you would use as a dronomancer?

Technoface - A Technomancer who focuses on Charisma based skills. Works like an in between of the technohunter/overwatcher, but uses armor like Ace of Coins for a crazy high limit to social abilities.
This sounds like a face + hacker hybrid. Is there anything special about this archtype that doesn't fall into a regular face + hacker character archtype? (other than simply being a TM of course)

Matrix Ninja - A technomancer who focuses on bricking devices and other pests. high matrix ability, low meatspace. Particuarlly enjoys Resonance Spike and Static Bomb. Possibly even Resonance Veil. With this guy, using RV to make it look like you Disconnected, they would have to roll against that. Then roll against you running silent.
So this sounds like the classic straight up hacker technomancer. Is there anything unique here that deviates from just a standard well built hacker style TM?

I don't mean for any of this to sound like I'm flaming or putting down your ideas. I really enjoy this thread and your document, I'm just trying to get a feel for the roles these archtypes would play and how they are different from other characters filling similar roles or from their classic counterparts.
« Last Edit: <07-27-14/0154:15> by voydangel »
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #87 on: <07-27-14/1104:11> »
Just to be clear, I feel like the archtypes you have listed here are very close (if not identical) to some "classic" hacker/technomancer archtypes. Tell me if I'm wrong and/or what tweaks would be needed to make your "modern" archtypes be more like their "classic" equivalents; or how the new 5e rules have forced the classic archtypes to be modified into what you have listed here.

This sounds very much like a spider. Is this basically a spider-mancer?

This sounds like a dronomancer, except you describe the sprites as boosting non-drone devices. I like the idea, but I'm curious if this is basically the same thing or not. That is to say, could this character just as easily have their machine sprites jump into a few drones and tear stuff up that way? Or is this somehow fundamentally different from the build you would use as a dronomancer?

This sounds like a face + hacker hybrid. Is there anything special about this archtype that doesn't fall into a regular face + hacker character archtype? (other than simply being a TM of course)

So this sounds like the classic straight up hacker technomancer. Is there anything unique here that deviates from just a standard well built hacker style TM?

I don't mean for any of this to sound like I'm flaming or putting down your ideas. I really enjoy this thread and your document, I'm just trying to get a feel for the roles these archtypes would play and how they are different from other characters filling similar roles or from their classic counterparts.

Well the main thing about the archetypes is most of them are pretty mutable, and could be blended together into other kinds.

Technohunter for example initially doesn't use drones, but taking MOM he could go into being a Dronomancer. The main thing here though is he isn't really going around trying to hack everything, and instead functions mostly in the meat world, often with his own body rather than a drones.

Overwatcher - If thats what spiders do, then yes. It really is more of one that assists with the party and could also double as a face.

As for the Matrix Ninja, this guy or the trick over all, exploits a series of events that need to take place, while working not really to hack stuff but simply to brick it all.

Complex forms do not take the penalty for running silent as they are not matrix actions. while running silently, the enemy would need to try to some how find you, first by making a simple perception check followed by a more complex one verses your sleaze.

Now you throw in resonance veil to create a second illusion. You're DCed, and there are hackers sending data spikes at the foe whenever you sense a resonance spike.

So basically, they have to make three perception checks, One to check for hidden icons, one to see past the illusion and one to finally see you.

Meanwhile you suffer no OS at all during all of these attacks, and with a low level high resistance you shouldn't really suffer too much fade really either.

Now of course, as much as I'm very Pro-Technomancer it doesn't mean I don't see the flaws in it.

The CFs are pretty high in their fade value, especially ones like puppeteer and static bomb. Some are too vague and can be super powerful under one GM and useless under another GM. And of course there is the development bottleneck.

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #88 on: <10-28-15/1703:36> »
Finding information is really important in for a reference book.  Table of Content & Chapter Headings need to be descriptive.  Look at the Core rulebook for how to do it right (example chapter titles: Skills, Magic, Combat).  They should not be cute and artsy, like Data Trails with headings like "On the Bleeding Edge" and "Born to Hack" (where can I find the new qualities?).

Also, a good index is a must (again, core rulebook is good, and Data Trails, with a missing index is bad).

HiddenBoss

• Newb
« Reply #89 on: <10-30-15/0947:13> »
Static Veil: it super useful for long term over watch like hack some cameras then use Static Veil so your not kick out from being on the matrix too long without rebooting, Cleaner is ok but you got to wait some turns for it to take a effect and you still have OV even if it at 0 so it will go back up due to time so combo it off with static veil means you can keep in there for way longer as long you can take the fade. Useful as well if you need to keep a Sprite in longer and you do not have the time to register them like i need to keep a Data Sprite to do some long term matrix search but it be kill from ov unless i can stop that.

Redundancy
It says it target is device but the core rule book says any CF that has target device can work on a persona, so a TM can  use this on them self to give them a fake Matrix Damage Track, and they can just drop the form and re use it, so if you can take the drain then it can be useful temporary hp boxs. too bad fade is FV+0.

Not sure how it works with deep runs.

Sprites notes

Keep in mind that Sprites do have skills so they can help you with teamwork tests or you can help them with teamwork tests (there no rule saying you can not teamwork test on the matrix as far as i know)

EG: I need to do a matrix search for a threshold 6 but i only got a DP 5, i could try and edge or i can call in a Data Sprite to teamwork test with me to give more dice and a +1 my limit or i can have Data Sprite do the test (so lv6 one so dp10) and i do a teamwork test to help it with more dice and limit, hell i could call a 2nd data Sprite or maybe a machine sprite to help out as well for stability or for it to make a teamwork test as well as it got the Computer skill as well.