NEWS

"Ten things I hate about Shadowrun" at Look, Robot.

• 49 Replies

ProfessorCirno

• Omae
  • The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!
« Reply #45 on: <04-13-14/1622:54> »
Chunky Salsa makes flashbangs into miniature weapons of mass destruction.  Kinda funny when you read it, extremely irritating in game.

In general I hate grenades being an almost certain one hit kill with no defense at all.  R&G has now turned grenades into -5 init weapons because literally nobody is going to go "Naw I'll just soak the like 14 undodgeable damage"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #46 on: <04-13-14/1625:43> »
on that note, i suddenly notice that everyone apparently hates the chunky salsa rule, why is that?
[...]
Forgot to mention one things: Flashbangs, while they'd easily blow out interior walls and such, can also easily be ruled to not have Chunky Salsa, because they don't have a shockwave that goes down over distance, but simply a radius in which they damage.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <04-14-14/0448:37> »
When a grenade detonates in a confined space, such as a hallway or room, the gamemaster must first determine whether any barriers (usually walls) stood firm against the explosion. Consult the Destroying Barriers rules (p. 197). If the walls or doors hold up, the blast is channelled.
Barriers ignore Stun damage.
While I'd say that looks clear cut as 'barriers always reflect stun damage', I'm not inclined to follow that line myself.

Lickintoad

• Newb
« Reply #48 on: <04-14-14/1639:45> »
"Epic failure" is the Virtual Boy. Fourth Edition is at worst the Dreamcast--a great system that, unfortunately, never struck home with as many people as it needed to remain at the level of profitability the company required to maintain production.

As for the blog, I disagree. I like rules light games, but I like rules-heavy games, too. Call it a dinosaur if need be, but it works well for me. Also, I believe that some rules don't work for all tables, whether labeled optional or not. The book should still include them.

Demon_Bob

• Newb
« Reply #49 on: <04-25-14/1757:56> »
With 1st ed AD&D I used to say, "If the rules are to complex for you, the I don't want you to play.  You'll probably just do something stupid and cause a TPK."
As to ,"..we need brisk, crisp rules that power reward behaviour and power stories.."  Ya, because everything know a days needs to make us better people.  I wonder what video games he enjoys?
Redundancy?  Oh so it is obvious how long someone should be able to tread water or swim?  Without redundant rules like this some players would be trying to swim across Lake Superior.
Math?  Ya, it is bad for pacing, but it does help to get a clearer understanding of the rules, but he is obviously bad with math as others before noted that he can't count to 10.
Counteract - I don't see his point.  It is harder for me to text and run than to walk and text.  I bump into more stuff.
Dead Man's Trigger -  Its nice tool to be able to do something if for some reason your actually taken out before your initiative comes up.
Wall of Data - Really?  Just how many other games out there have massive data. Although, SR5 just isn't organized/edited as well as I like.

I consider Savage Worlds a quick and dirty system, good for someone who just isn't able to dedicate much to running a game.
Hero System, you  can build anything, the trouble is everything has to be built, and lawyers should not write game books.
And perhaps I shouldn't reply to some posts right after I get off work.