NEWS

Dragonfall Gripe (Minor Spoilers)

• 11 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« on: <03-31-14/1519:16> »
I know this isn't a vidyagames site, but I just wondered if anyone could explain to me this issue I had in the game...

So, with the mission to infiltrated Aztechnology to stop one "Project Bloodline", you're given an option to attack some software provider to hinder KE's ability to communicate.  I didn't fully understand what it would prevent--  If the KE guards are already at the building (which is what I was told) and it doesn't just nuke everyone's commlinks, what "significant advantage" am I getting?  Nobody seemed to make note of it now that I'm doing the actual run.

The other thing is what really annoyed me...  How are you supposed to get in without just attacking the guards?  I found one other option, a worker outside who I could talk to.  I'm a decker, so I have the Decking 4 needed for the first option...  But then the others require Charisma 5 or Strength 6!  What decker has those?  And what about someone who isn't playing a Troll Decker or Elf Decker/Shaman (because otherwise Charisma seems like a pretty big Karma sink in that game, and focusing on two non-combat roles seems like a great way to have your character die all the time)?

Needless to say, I am grumpy.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-31-14/1602:28> »
I think that tree is EITHER
a) Decker
b) Cha 5
~or~
c) Str 6

So 3 archetypes are covered fairly well.  I made it through, but never succeeded in the sub-mission to get through the first level undetected. 
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <03-31-14/1627:28> »
I don't thinks so; you need Decking 4 to even see the other two options.  I barely succeeded with 1 turn before the building went kaboom, so all's good...  But it's still lame that I had to feel "punished" for that first part.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

blackangel

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-02-14/0922:17> »
If you have a decker on your team for the first part, as an elf magic user with high charisma I managed to access the overload consol without a single bullet shot

BA
"No one is more of a slave than he who thinks himself free without being so." GOETHE

Backgammon

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <04-03-14/1200:58> »
I made an Ork Decker with high Charisma, and walked aaaall the way to the room with the blood mages without firing a single shot. My Charisma investment was pleasantly rewarded,
My Shadowrun Pinterest collections: Landscape and Characters
My Shadowrun works

SirValeq

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-07-14/0817:29> »
Security etiquette is handy in there.

Ech0

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-08-14/0108:37> »
In regards to the Chummer who created this post:

You are delaying the arrival of the HTR-Team. The regular rent-a-cops are already in the building, but the bigguns have to be called in. And if they don't have a phone to call, it'll take them a while.

Btw, you can also help a bunch of Neo-As around the corner with some wire-work and zapp the whole building in the process.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <04-08-14/0416:23> »
The zapping isn't really helping them, though...
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #8 on: <04-09-14/2137:20> »
The hit on the communications place is to both delay the arrival of KE troops and to give you warning they're coming.

To get in without getting into a fight, you need to go around to the side. It's easiest if you do a quick side mission in that area that gives you temporary access to the power grid; overload the grid, their comm system does down. Then you can sneak in, deck to unlock things, grab guard uniforms through careful timing, and fast talk your way all the way into the lab.

After that, you're pretty much guaranteed to end up getting the KE response team called upon you, but they take close to 20 rounds to arrive and it's extremely easy to get out of the building before they get there.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <04-10-14/0031:33> »
Fraggin' tasers.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #10 on: <04-13-14/1807:26> »
1- you're not delaying anyone doing anything. You're just getting a tap to listen in on their commlinks so you know exactly where they are, and how long you've got. This gives a HUGE advantage.

2- as for getting in, there IS a third way, but you've got to be a little inquisitive to find it, and kind of cold hearted to use it. Look to the southside of the map.

OH YEAH! Also, do you have a really high agility? I hope you do.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #11 on: <04-13-14/1809:47> »
I made an Ork Decker with high Charisma, and walked aaaall the way to the room with the blood mages without firing a single shot. My Charisma investment was pleasantly rewarded,
i did the same thing, only i was an elf sniper with high charisma and agility, so when those bloodmages started doing their thing...
Well, lets just say it wasn't until my second playthrough that i even gave a shit what bloodmagic is/does.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english