NEWS

Hermetic verses Shaman

• 101 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #90 on: <05-17-14/2028:10> »
Another option:  Drone rigger.
I freely admit I'm not up on my rigging, but, wouldn't the essence cost for a VCR be bad for a magician ?

Sure ,but the control rig is only needed to jump in; I specified drone rigger as the notion is that this character wouldn't jumpp in.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #91 on: <05-17-14/2045:52> »
Sure ,but the control rig is only needed to jump in; I specified drone rigger as the notion is that this character wouldn't jumpp in.
Okay, so a guy at a terminal.  Like I said, I'm not up on "rigging" at all.

Demon_Bob

• Newb
« Reply #92 on: <05-18-14/1536:33> »
Be glad it ain't a cute little Tibetan Mastiff pup, because those turn into this:

http://imgur.com/4K61Z1S
Dependent - Dog   With size determining cost.
Can't find any 5th ed rules for ally yet.  :'(
Yup, yup its Mouse.
Although it more like a huge Alaskan Malamute.
« Last Edit: <05-18-14/1539:22> by Demon_Bob »

Sincereagape

• Chummer
« Reply #93 on: <05-19-14/1219:00> »
From a thematic stand point, the influx of Elven Shamans seems incorrect.  Traditionally, from classic SR stories and history -- Elves have always been hermetic in nature.  Elven culture from both Tir's has always focused on Elves using science and logic for their magic rather then charisma and shaman magic.

Shaman magic has always been reserved for native American nations, Jamaican influence, in essence other cultures that have always had some type of spiritual or religious reasoning behind them in relation to spirits, demons, and dieties.

From a statistical point of view, having an influx of Elf Shamans makes total sense due to the natural charisma boost. But there is something about having an heavy increase in elf shamans that seems 'Un-Shadowrun' from a thematic sense. 
Narrative
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

GoodbyeSoberDay

• Newb
« Reply #94 on: <05-19-14/1512:24> »
From a thematic stand point, the influx of Elven Shamans seems incorrect.  Traditionally, from classic SR stories and history -- Elves have always been hermetic in nature.  Elven culture from both Tir's has always focused on Elves using science and logic for their magic rather then charisma and shaman magic.

Shaman magic has always been reserved for native American nations, Jamaican influence, in essence other cultures that have always had some type of spiritual or religious reasoning behind them in relation to spirits, demons, and dieties.

From a statistical point of view, having an influx of Elf Shamans makes total sense due to the natural charisma boost. But there is something about having an heavy increase in elf shamans that seems 'Un-Shadowrun' from a thematic sense.
You identified the main problem here: The mechanics don't align with the theme.  Why would elves choose to focus on hermetic magic?  Why wouldn't they utilize their natural force of personality, which they can identify in-game (at least at a qualitative level), in their dealings with the astral?  At a certain point wouldn't shamanic elven traditions pop up, then slowly begin to dominate, as a consequence of the way magic actually works?

IMO it's easier to tweak the theme a little bit than it is to ignore the disconnect.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #95 on: <05-19-14/1632:35> »

This might be missing the forest for the trees - in other words, I'd say there are plenty of elves that came from Shamanic-type cultures, like Amerind, Jamaican, African religion, etc.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #96 on: <05-19-14/1855:49> »

I think it's just not min-maxed, there's nothing necessarily thematically wrong about it. The idea of an old line of science (or magic) relying on logic (which by parts of its definition can be recorded and passed down) would have an advantage over a more intuition/charisma 'abstract force of will' focus which would not have such an advantage.

I don't actually know about elves in the Tirs focusing on Logic any more than other metatypes like Orks or Dwarves, but there's one possibility that's consistent with the core books and all else I know of Shadowrun.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #97 on: <05-19-14/2046:13> »
Elven culture from both Tir's has always focused on Elves using science and logic for their magic rather then charisma and shaman magic.

Before you say "both Tirs", you may wish to double check the drain stat for Path of the Wheel.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Sincereagape

• Chummer
« Reply #98 on: <05-20-14/0858:08> »
@RHat

I stand corrected. 

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=7018.0

I sold all of my old Shadowrun RPG books and now only have the novels and the 5th edition supplements that have been released (Core Rulebook, Splintered States, GM screen.)  Was the Path of the Wheel in Street Magic (4th or any of the other supplments from previous editions)

@Mithlas, Whiskey Jack, Goodbye Sober Day -- I am mostly going off Shadowrun Cannon, and the FASA Shadowrun novels. Most of the Elves in the older stories were mostly hermedic mages.  Hart, Laverty, Ehran, Kylar Luppas, Meyer (Headhunters), (Dragon Heart Trilogy), even Harlequin.

I can't remember many elves that were based off the shamanic traditions. 

@Whisky -- That type of magic would he druidic in nature or Path of the Wheel like RHAT mentioned, not Shamanistic. 

It just seems like every elf mage made on these boards is a shaman, and traditionally that has not fit the Elven archtype of a mage in the SR universe.  I just dont' see an elf walking around with totem based foci, or with the attire of a shaman.  I do however seem them more thematically dressed or fitting the them of a hermetic. 

I hope elf shamans do not become a watered down, over used archtype. 
Narrative
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #99 on: <05-20-14/0907:32> »
Just wait until the Street Grimoire hits, and people will start picking other ones.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #100 on: <05-20-14/1250:11> »
Just wait until the Street Grimoire hits, and people will start picking other ones.
I've ported stuff from 4e pretty easily for a game, including Guardian and Plant spirits. Really wanted to play an Azzie elf nahauilli.

@Mithlas, Whiskey Jack, Goodbye Sober Day -- I am mostly going off Shadowrun Cannon, and the FASA Shadowrun novels. Most of the Elves in the older stories were mostly hermedic mages.  Hart, Laverty, Ehran, Kylar Luppas, Meyer (Headhunters), (Dragon Heart Trilogy), even Harlequin.

I can't remember many elves that were based off the shamanic traditions. 

@Whisky -- That type of magic would he druidic in nature or Path of the Wheel like RHAT mentioned, not Shamanistic. 

It just seems like every elf mage made on these boards is a shaman, and traditionally that has not fit the Elven archtype of a mage in the SR universe.  I just dont' see an elf walking around with totem based foci, or with the attire of a shaman.  I do however seem them more thematically dressed or fitting the them of a hermetic. 

I hope elf shamans do not become a watered down, over used archtype. 

But the fact of the matter still is: from a mechanical optimization standpoint, elf + Charisma tradition is a really good combo. Currently the only official Charisma tradition is Shamanism, and hence why the elf shaman is (and has been, since 4th) a big (sometimes overdone) trope.I expect to see diversity with more Charisma traditions, but I also expect a lot of people to pick Elf + Charisma tradition as an easy way to throw the most dice possible.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #101 on: <05-20-14/1352:01> »
The Sinsearach & Manitoo tribes are probably quite full of Elven Shaman.

The "Hermatic" issue is not "Elvish" IMHO, its "Immortal-Elvish"........ Those 2 Dozen or so seem to favor "Wizardry" because they didn't grow up in the "Americas" but plenty of "regular" elves born since the Awakening will not have that ancient bias & would be influenced by how they grew up instead.