NEWS

[DMZ / All Editions] DMZ Conversion

• 2 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« on: <02-28-14/2141:52> »
Okay, first things first - just got my DMZ rules (thanks, Patrick Goodman!!), and I've never played.  So my initial question is whether or not it is significantly faster for combat than whatever edition one happens to be playing - IIRC it was 2nd Edition.  If it was significantly faster, then it is perhaps worthwhile to reverse-engineer it, with an eye towards being able to convert Xe characters to use its rules.

Looking at it briefly, it seems that it would actually be easier to convert 4e/5e characters into use for the DMZ rules; they essentially share the same sort of damage scale.

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, assistance?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <03-01-14/0120:23> »
You might have to explain what you mean by DMZ rules.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #2 on: <03-01-14/0136:10> »
DMZ  - which stands for 'Downtown Militarized Zone' - is essentially a 'war-game' version of Shadowrun combat.  It was probably meant in part to get wargamers interested in Shadowrun by creating something they could relate to, and in part maybe make combat quick and easy.  As far as I can recall, only one RPG adventure ('A Killing Glare', about Urban Brawl) took advantage of the DMZ rules.

Came in a boxed set with a rulebook, an archetypes/scenario book, a bunch of cardstock figures (with some plastic things to set them in), and numerous maps.  Now that I have the DMZ rules, and always on the lookout for making combat faster, I'm looking at ways of how to convert edition-characters to DMZ 'characters' ... and whether or not DMZ combat is significantly faster than RPG combat, enough to make doing this worthwhile.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.