NEWS

[4E] Vehicular Questions

• 7 Replies

virgil

• Newb
« on: <02-28-14/1531:52> »
How many Lonestar can you fit in an Ares Citymaster? Are they expected to fire through the armored windows (how many can do that?), or do they poor out like it's a clown car?

When you have multiple people using suppressive fire on the same area, do the people in that area suffer a cumulative penalty as they attempt to dodge each set of bullets?

Does the scatter on a grenade keep it from being shot into a truck to annihilate the passengers?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #1 on: <02-28-14/2135:00> »
How many Lonestar can you fit in an Ares Citymaster? Are they expected to fire through the armored windows (how many can do that?), or do they poor out like it's a clown car?

When you have multiple people using suppressive fire on the same area, do the people in that area suffer a cumulative penalty as they attempt to dodge each set of bullets?

Does the scatter on a grenade keep it from being shot into a truck to annihilate the passengers?

This is one of the reasons why I don't like 4e or 5e vehicle information - it's been severely culled of critical information.  Going back to 3e, we find that the Citymaster has for seats 2 bucket and 5 benches - fitting one (non-troll) person in each bucket seat and two human-sized (three if you cram) on each bench seat.  Figure 12 standard.

Firing ports, well, my group originally presumed that all passengers had a firing port handy - between 60 and 120 degrees of a firing arc, centered on the port.  Other GMs could decide other things; SR4 and SR5 state that it has two firing ports for the passengers, so 2 passengers shooting.

SR3 also stated that for doors it had 2 standard (for the people up front, in the two bucket seats) and one double-sized rear-facing door - i.e. an assault door going out the back.  One can decide that this means that the five bench seats are set up to be two on either side and one back-to-back with the two bucket seats in the front, instead of all five facing front; this is only logical, considering the vehicle is supposed to be the cop's version of an APC, i.e. a SWAT (or HTRT) van.  Pop open the back doors, and it's less like a clown car and more like ten guys with guns in your face.

As for the multiple-suppressive-fire thing ... good question. Dunno.  Depending on firing angles and everything, as well as how cinematic I'm trying to play, I might either give them a penalty of the highest for that area (cinematic), or else just stack it up (realistic/lethal).

Firing a grenade into the just-opening back of a Citymaster is HIGHLY ENCOURAGED by shadowrunners everywhere.  (Well, most of 'em.)  Typically, the skill you have (and the successes you get) reduces the scatter of the grenade; once it's down to 0, it blows up right where you want it.  And at that point, the people inside the highly-armored enclosed space are screaming to get out, due to the inevitable Chunky Salsa effect.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-01-14/1544:04> »
I've had to make up a lot of the capacity information (my players have started to get enough money that they're considering bigger ground vehicles and looked at renting or buying used aircraft for additional options in missions). Where is most of this info on capacity and seating? I wouldn't mind collecting it together so we can have common baselines to work off.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-01-14/1553:24> »
We often look at real world vehicles and extrapolate from those.  If you have a sedan today which can hold up to 5 people, the shadowrun version will hold the same (not including trolls of course).  You can find real world examples for almost all shadowrun vehicles and work from there.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-01-14/2200:19> »
Where is most of this info on capacity and seating? I wouldn't mind collecting it together so we can have common baselines to work off.
It's already 'collected together' - we call it 'Rigger 3'.  It's for 3e, yes, but since 4e and 5e retreated from the bits-and-bobs crunchy goodness that most rigger-types delight in, well, one has a dearth of sources.  The best ones remain the prior editions.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-02-14/2023:15> »
Thanks for the pointer, I'll see if somebody knows someone with Rigger 3. Having a specific place to look in is exactly what I was thinking - we used to have a collection, but it was mostly collected at one member who moved away, so if it's not 4E then I don't have it and likely don't have access to it. I do know that 4E featured a lot of gear simplification (and possibly for good reason, however much that organizer part of me might like knowing what the capacity of a data chip is). I've already had to go through the internet for artwork of what the drones in S4A look like (though the Shadowrun GURPS place has pretty much anything I need).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-02-14/2227:40> »
You do know 2hat the capacity of a datachip is: sufficient.  :P
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-04-14/0019:06> »
You do know 2hat the capacity of a datachip is: sufficient.  :P
Yeah, but it didn't used to be - which is part of what he and I are talking about, the move away from gear complexity (e.g. needing to specify the amount of data a chip holds, etc.) in SR4 that's sustained in SR5.  For me, that was one of the things I liked about Shadowrun, but I can understand - from a marketing POV - the need to make things less complex.
Pananagutan & End/Line