NEWS

Unions in 2075

• 23 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <02-09-14/1832:43> »
What would still be unionized in 2075. I know that there are a few Magical Unions, the IOND and a Talismongering one. I have some runs from a while ago that I want to do for 5th edition. The Johnson is a Union Boss. I'm wondering what unions would still be active in 2075. I'm assuming the Governments still have unions. Dockworkers?..anything else?

Based out of DeeCee, the Illuminates of the New Dawn (or IOND) is
the largest public order of magicians in North America, with members
in all North American nations and chapters worldwide.

"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <02-09-14/1903:20> »
Hmm...  good question.  Mostly when I think of unions in Shadowrun, I think of political blocs and those that work menial labor.  With the rise of the megacorp, the majority of the unions probably got shafted.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-09-14/2050:29> »
What about the Governments? Like UCAS, CAS...
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

cold iron

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-09-14/2108:27> »
Governments are sort of in the back seat of driving the sixth world. They still do stuff but corps are whats really in control. More so is some counties (Azitlan) than others.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-09-14/2152:58> »
Well I am doing Street/Mid Level Campaign so I thought a few runs I've had saved for a while involving a Dockworker or Political Union Boss hiring Runners to do some intimidation runs, then I have sabotage, digging up dirt on Politician and a misdirection run written up. Working for the same Johnson, assuming they don't %#@! things up too bad..

Also I was wondering if it is unheard of a Johnson paying runners everything up front for a small run? I have some props for the Intimidation runs, each runner gets an envelope with Name/Address/Information and a Certified Credstick (1000 to 1500 nuyen). Then is told by Johnson to make sure targets are a Yes Vote and if they mess up, not to expect any more work.

If they succeed in Negotiation they get 1 or 2 more Envelopes with more Cred.
« Last Edit: <02-09-14/2201:03> by Bushw4cker »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-10-14/0034:27> »
Well I am doing Street/Mid Level Campaign so I thought a few runs I've had saved for a while involving a Dockworker or Political Union Boss hiring Runners to do some intimidation runs, then I have sabotage, digging up dirt on Politician and a misdirection run written up. Working for the same Johnson, assuming they don't %#@! things up too bad..

Also I was wondering if it is unheard of a Johnson paying runners everything up front for a small run? I have some props for the Intimidation runs, each runner gets an envelope with Name/Address/Information and a Certified Credstick (1000 to 1500 nuyen). Then is told by Johnson to make sure targets are a Yes Vote and if they mess up, not to expect any more work.

Think like your Johnson.  Phrasing, I know.  :P  But realistically, if you were hiring some unknown criminals, would you pay them anything up front?  I think a good role for Mr. Johnson to play would be a political intern, trying to get some headway for his/her boss.  If the boss finds out, Mr./Ms. Johnson is let go and the runners aren't likely to get any kind of payback from something that they did (since it's small time).

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-10-14/0507:21> »
What would still be unionized in 2075. I know that there are a few Magical Unions, the IOND and a Talismongering one. I have some runs from a while ago that I want to do for 5th edition. The Johnson is a Union Boss. I'm wondering what unions would still be active in 2075. I'm assuming the Governments still have unions. Dockworkers?..anything else?

By my understanding, the IOND isn't really a union, per se - don't think they have any kind of collective bargaining or any of the other trappings of a union.  Overall, the Corporate Court is HIGHLY opposed to any sort of union activity, and will come down hard on it.  I'm really not sure if any sort of professional or labour unions would still exists, honestly.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-10-14/1107:41> »

Think like your Johnson.  Phrasing, I know.  :P  But realistically, if you were hiring some unknown criminals, would you pay them anything up front?  I think a good role for Mr. Johnson to play would be a political intern, trying to get some headway for his/her boss.  If the boss finds out, Mr./Ms. Johnson is let go and the runners aren't likely to get any kind of payback from something that they did (since it's small time).

The Johnson is going to be working with the Shadowrunner's Fixer. These Runners where recommended to be able to handle the job. The scene I have set up is that he has 40 to 50 envelopes next to him. So obviously they aren't the only runners that he's hiring. If they prove competent though negotiation, he gives them a few more targets to intimidate. He's going to be spending at least 50K nuyen to fix an election, this way he finds out which runners he can work with again. He's only out 1 or 2k per runner if they fail.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-10-14/1113:10> »

By my understanding, the IOND isn't really a union, per se - don't think they have any kind of collective bargaining or any of the other trappings of a union.  Overall, the Corporate Court is HIGHLY opposed to any sort of union activity, and will come down hard on it.  I'm really not sure if any sort of professional or labour unions would still exists, honestly.

You still have Yakuza, Mafia, Triads, Vory, all making money.  I think Unions would still be around, at least Political, which Corporations don't seem to have as much interest only in as far as only caring about Politics if it hurts their power or bottom line.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-10-14/1210:57> »
The Johnson is going to be working with the Shadowrunner's Fixer. These Runners where recommended to be able to handle the job. The scene I have set up is that he has 40 to 50 envelopes next to him. So obviously they aren't the only runners that he's hiring. If they prove competent though negotiation, he gives them a few more targets to intimidate. He's going to be spending at least 50K nuyen to fix an election, this way he finds out which runners he can work with again. He's only out 1 or 2k per runner if they fail.

That makes sense then.  Mr. Johnson hires the Fixer, the Fixer is the only point of contact, etc.  This is all standard shadowrunning technique, but with the added fact that these guys are bottom-feeders and Mr. Johnson knows it.  I think perhaps the Fixer would want a few bodyguards standing nearby just in case a runner gets a bright idea to try to take all the envelopes.  Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <02-10-14/1300:22> »

That makes sense then.  Mr. Johnson hires the Fixer, the Fixer is the only point of contact, etc.  This is all standard shadowrunning technique, but with the added fact that these guys are bottom-feeders and Mr. Johnson knows it.  I think perhaps the Fixer would want a few bodyguards standing nearby just in case a runner gets a bright idea to try to take all the envelopes.  Sounds like a solid plan to me.

The meet is planned in a Public Resturant, with a section sectioned off, giving the Runner's and Johnson a little privacy. The Johnson will have a noticeable body guard in Corner about 10 meters away.

Moondogy

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <02-10-14/1618:41> »
I think their would still be some unions I have not read up a ton on everything in the Shadowrun univers but I think you would still have unions in places like the ports that ship goods in and out or the airports or public transportation. Some of the few things like that that all of the mega corps would use not to say that some of them would still have their own docs or airports that are not in the union but I would think some things like that would still be unioninzed.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <02-10-14/1803:42> »
I think their would still be some unions I have not read up a ton on everything in the Shadowrun univers but I think you would still have unions in places like the ports that ship goods in and out or the airports or public transportation. Some of the few things like that that all of the mega corps would use not to say that some of them would still have their own docs or airports that are not in the union but I would think some things like that would still be unioninzed.

That's what I thought. Originally when I typed up the runs, I had Dockworker Union in mind.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-10-14/1828:54> »

I doubt it.  There's no reason the megas wouldn't just buy up any unionized ports and get rid of the unions.  And anyone who doesn't like it can go live in the Barrens.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <02-10-14/1921:28> »

I doubt it.  There's no reason the megas wouldn't just buy up any unionized ports and get rid of the unions.  And anyone who doesn't like it can go live in the Barrens.

Obviously the Megacorps are very powerful and have their hands in just about everything, but they haven't taken over a lot of things...Governments, Organized Crime, Some Universities, and I'm sure there are still unions around. Unions have been doing Shadowrunning tactics before the Megacorps even came around. They wouldn't go away easy.