NEWS

[SR5] Qi Focus Question

• 34 Replies

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <02-06-14/0823:41> »
so if my magic is 6 i can bind a force 6 foci and i can bind up to 5 of them but i cna't bind a force 30 foci that is what i was geting at hope i made my self clear and sorry if it came as a hasell
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #16 on: <02-06-14/0902:26> »
so if my magic is 6 i can bind a force 6 foci and i can bind up to 5 of them but i cna't bind a force 30 foci that is what i was geting at hope i made my self clear and sorry if it came as a hasell
Not a hassle, I'm just saying I don't think that is what the rules say, unless I am missing something. From what I can tell., the only thing your base Magic rating limits is the number of individual foci you can bind. Granted, there are a remarkable number of downsides to using an active F30 focus.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-06-14/1217:35> »
I would, personally, be more inclined to believe that the level of the Qi focus is limited by the rank of the power in question, than your magic---It would be ridiculous to allow someone to take a rank in a power specifically to boost it to 6 or whatever with a Qi focus, wouldn't it? Perhaps it would be best to say you can only double, or 1.5 times the rank of the power(rounded up), regardless of Magic?

Thus, proposed Adept would get 6 or 8 maximum ranks in Mystic Armor.

That would be my personal houseruling on the matter, at least.
You can get a Qi focus for a power even if you don't have the power to begin with, though. How would that fit into your houserule?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-06-14/1651:28> »

Ah, but, if you have 5 Force 6 Qi Foci active at once, it's functionally identical to a Force 30 Qi Focus.  THAT'S the idea we're getting at, 30 total Force, not 30 on a single focus.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-06-14/1653:19> »
Ah, but, if you have 5 Force 6 Qi Foci active at once, it's functionally identical to a Force 30 Qi Focus.  THAT'S the idea we're getting at, 30 total Force, not 30 on a single focus.
I was actually saying you could do 30 on a signle Focus, unless I am missing a rule somewhere. Granted, it's a terrible idea, but...
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <02-06-14/1658:00> »
...  Holy shit.  There's no mention of max force on a single focus in the Magic rules.  This might explain the terrible focus addiction rules.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-06-14/1659:17> »
Yeah, I wouldn't even know how to handle something with a 30 addiction rating, LOL.

Although, I guess you would get that either way if you were rocking 6 Foci at Force 5...
« Last Edit: <02-06-14/1700:53> by JackVII »
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <02-06-14/1701:05> »
I'd just rule the cap at Magic back in, but that's because I'd already want to amend the Focus Addiction rules...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #23 on: <02-06-14/1820:51> »
Nothing wrong with focus addiction rules, they force people to think things through more. Besides, you're perfectly safe at 8 Force.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <02-06-14/2145:28> »
You know how screwed your character would be once it was addicted to a F30 focus?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <02-07-14/0703:21> »
No more than if it were a Force 10 focus, I imagine. The biggest problem you'd have is the fact that you obtained one of Harlequin's foci.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <02-07-14/1126:44> »
No more than if it were a Force 10 focus, I imagine. The biggest problem you'd have is the fact that you obtained one of Harlequin's foci.

Well, where I was going was that addictions get worse over time and if you are already addicted to a F30 focus and you need a "bigger hit" then you have a real problem.  Unless, of course, I'm misunderstanding something about the addiction rules.  Even so there is also the fact you are keeping a F30 focus turned on a lot to satisfy your cravings.  That has to be one heck of an signature in astral space.  Granted, with a F30 focus you can probably kick the crap out of any number of run of the mill spirits and the like.  But if you are glowing like a 400 watt light bulb you are probably going to attract the attention of something that is NOT run of the mill. 

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <02-07-14/1327:11> »
On the main thread topic: The wording indicates that a Qi Focus adds to the level instead of the end total being limited to Magic rating, but I would be inclined to limit the end total to Magic rating just to keep headaches from occurring even if that would just be a house rule.

I don't have the SR5 book right now (my group only has one and it gets passed around), so I would appreciate enlightenment as to what might be different in 5E, but in S4A 256-257 it talks about addiction resistance Will+Logic (for mental addictions) or Body+Will (for physical addictions) with a threshold of the substance. Focus Addiction is mentioned in SM 27 but unfortunately doesn't give any ground rules for thresholds.

I remember that S4A states that you can bind up to (Logic) foci, but I can't find anything that clearly states what constitutes addiction-risk behavior besides the general behavior patterns in S4A 93. I noticed the reference to a more serious addiction to a F30 foci, but I think it would be the frequency that you use it that sets up a person for addiction more than force - though force might still have something to do with it. However, spells complicate things because the addiction threshold table lists tripchip BTLs as "only" 3, which would be the equivalent to the Force of a weak magic spell. Should magic/foci threshold instead be Force/Magic? Or Force/2?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <02-07-14/1353:04> »
The SR5 Addiction rules use the total Force of all active foci as Addiction Rating and an Addiction Threshold of 2. So a total Force of 8 would mean tests every 3 weeks (which means you can avoid addiction tests completely with 2 weeks of downtime inbetween runs), while with a total Force of 10+, you'd face at least 2 Addiction Tests if you use that much Force worth of foci at the same time: one at TH 2 at the end of the week, one at TH 1 at the end of the next week.

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <02-07-14/2054:26> »
How about instead of limiting it to rank*2 or 1.5, limit it to rank plus 1/2 magic?

Therefore we don't end up with people ignoring actual ranks to get foci...