NEWS

Renraku and Shintoism

• 2 Replies

callmedinosaur

• Newb
« on: <12-08-13/0139:18> »
I was just reading through Storm Front and came upon the part where they describe how Renraku was pressured into allowing Shinto and other religions into corporate compounds. I was inspired to maybe touch on this in a game I'm running and was wondering if anyone out there could point me in the direction of more information about Renraku and their relationship with Shinto?
rawr rawr

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-08-13/0812:57> »
I don't think that issue was addressed anywhere before of Storm Front. Sources from previous editions would rather point at reasons for Renraku lack of relationships with Shinto.

Renraku used to be a megacorporation before being a Japanese corporation. It started as an Eastern European conglomerate called Keruba International that went global, before being taken over by Japanese investors, who renamed it Renraku Holdings. It took a while for Japanese executives to be appointed at every level (by 2061 in Corporate Download, only one out of five divisions was headed by a Japanese ; by 2071 in Corporate Guide, it was four out of five).
So, in spite of showcases like the Red Samurais (which were really just that in their heydays, shiny armors with no training and experience, before the management considered investing efforts and money), Renraku is, or was, a lot less entrenched in Japanese culture than Shiawase and MCT.

Regarding religion more specifically, Inazo Aneki retirement in Tibet in 2060, suggesting he personally was more into Buddhism than Shinto (at least at that point in his existence).

SnackerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <12-09-13/0544:25> »
He DID get a ticket into Tibet in Dunklezahn's will, so we still don't know how religious he was before that. Plus he only went because of the brain damage.