NEWS

Best way to convert Dreamchipper to 4th edition?

• 33 Replies

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <11-13-10/1352:30> »
I forgot how good Dreamchipper is as an adventure.  I also forgot how legwork intensive it is.  There are what, two or three scenes where combat can happen and two of them are sure things?  Yeah, more of a brains type adventure.

That was one of the things that hooked me to Shadowrun early on.  I can remember reading Dreamchipper and Mercurial and being so impressed with how much it was a social game of discovery as well as a game of high tech magical shoot 'em up.

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <11-13-10/1440:43> »
I forgot how good Dreamchipper is as an adventure.  I also forgot how legwork intensive it is.  There are what, two or three scenes where combat can happen and two of them are sure things?  Yeah, more of a brains type adventure.

That was one of the things that hooked me to Shadowrun early on.  I can remember reading Dreamchipper and Mercurial and being so impressed with how much it was a social game of discovery as well as a game of high tech magical shoot 'em up.

Indeed.  Shadowrun was a different beast from D&D and Rifts (Which I was big into when I discovered Shadowrun) and so I saw this wild game that combined Fantasy with Cyberpunk and I've been hooked 17 (almost 18) years since. 

BAck to converting adventures, after Dreamchipper I think I am going to convert DNA/DOA.  My players are D&D vets, why not throw them a vicious little dungeon crawl Shadowrun style.
I thought what I'd do is; I would pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <11-15-10/0056:46> »
So, anymore ideas out there?

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #18 on: <11-15-10/0124:04> »
Add in devil rats with chainsaws?  ;)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

etherial

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <11-15-10/1007:10> »
I am gleaning for ideas here.  I am debating on where to take a current run and Dreamchipper seems to still be a relevant adventure.  Of course personafix technology is well known now and used but is it used alot in the Military or Espionage world?   The intent of the chips laid out in the adventure itself would still hold true.  I am just thinking the chips need to do something "else" that make them dangerous now.  In the adventure, they were prototypes of untested new technology.  In 2072, it is a known tech.

You mean like the Africa fiction from 6WA?

Disclaimer: I have never read Dreamchipper.

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <11-15-10/1027:35> »
I am gleaning for ideas here.  I am debating on where to take a current run and Dreamchipper seems to still be a relevant adventure.  Of course personafix technology is well known now and used but is it used alot in the Military or Espionage world?   The intent of the chips laid out in the adventure itself would still hold true.  I am just thinking the chips need to do something "else" that make them dangerous now.  In the adventure, they were prototypes of untested new technology.  In 2072, it is a known tech.

Oh yeah.  Kind of like that were the assassin had a chip slotted that gave him someone else's personality.  I think I know what story you are talking about. 

Yeah, similar to that if I am thinking of the same story.  That was cutting edge tech back when Dreamchipper came out.  For first edition....  :)

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <12-21-10/1905:07> »
This has went pretty well for me I must say as a small status report. 

I just ended up making the Dreamchips some bad ass Macguffin since they are really not to be used by the PCs anyway.   ;)

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #23 on: <07-30-12/0707:08> »
NecroThread!!!

So, running a 2050 campaign using SR4A rules (haven't decided to convert to the new 2050 rules yet...) and my next adventure is Dreamchipper!  Great thread, but I thought I might resurrect the topic.
What ways (story, character, etc) can this adventure be updated/reimaged?  Keeping in mind that I am still planning on setting this in 2050.
Does Jack and Khan need an upgrade to go against 1,000pt karma based characters?  What other twists or action scenes can I create to make this adventure feel like a modern movie remake of the good type?
What bits, as players, stood out when you played Dreamchipper?
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #24 on: <07-30-12/0833:53> »
I am gleaning for ideas here.  I am debating on where to take a current run and Dreamchipper seems to still be a relevant adventure.  Of course personafix technology is well known now and used but is it used alot in the Military or Espionage world?   The intent of the chips laid out in the adventure itself would still hold true.  I am just thinking the chips need to do something "else" that make them dangerous now.  In the adventure, they were prototypes of untested new technology.  In 2072, it is a known tech.

Oh yeah.  Kind of like that were the assassin had a chip slotted that gave him someone else's personality.  I think I know what story you are talking about. 

Yeah, similar to that if I am thinking of the same story.  That was cutting edge tech back when Dreamchipper came out.  For first edition....  :)

If you wanna know about those type of chips read "When Gravity Fails" by George Alec Effinger and the two sequels, "Fire in the Sun" and "The Exile Kiss".
All three are Hard core Cyberpunk, but the first goes into depth on persona fix chips. And all of them deal with Skillchips and other programs.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <07-30-12/0839:56> »
DreamChipper is, in fact, the entire reason that I wanted to write the appendix for Twilight Horizon. PersonaFix chips have stuck with me for all these decades from when it first came out, and I wanted to play with them a bit since they're a Thing that's just sorta fallen off the radar. Being able to combine the tech of personality re-writes, coupled with being able to use Autosofts in Skillwires, and boom... people on the go.

Now I'm ticked that I didn't even think about reading Seattle 2072 for research on this one as I'd always figured that the company had just gone under and vanished, not that it was a Novatech subsidiary. I guess Horizon must have used some old-fashioned industrail espionage (coughShadowrunnerscough) to get some of the specs on the things. Then again, considering the researcher that they have heading the program, they might have done some Extraction work as well.

(You... *have* picked up Twilight Horizon, right?)

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #26 on: <07-30-12/0850:04> »
Funny you mention that Wak.
Years ago I made a PC that used a persona fix BTL to make himself Brisco County Jr. Permanently, unfortunately, as the BTL was flawed and erased/overrode his original self leaving only "Brisco".  My GM was big into the chiptech, and being a bastard.....lol
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-30-12/0854:10> »
NecroThread!!!

So, running a 2050 campaign using SR4A rules (haven't decided to convert to the new 2050 rules yet...) and my next adventure is Dreamchipper!  Great thread, but I thought I might resurrect the topic.
What ways (story, character, etc) can this adventure be updated/reimaged?  Keeping in mind that I am still planning on setting this in 2050.
Does Jack and Khan need an upgrade to go against 1,000pt karma based characters?  What other twists or action scenes can I create to make this adventure feel like a modern movie remake of the good type?
What bits, as players, stood out when you played Dreamchipper?

I did do one thing when I ran Dreamchipper for 2nd ed.  I tricked out Jack as a bio and cyber monster, not sure if it was entirely legal, but I think the math was right.  He held off and nearly killed a team of heavily armed and skilled runners for most of two game sessions.

I remember afterwards looking at cyberzombies and going "Hey look, Jack does have somewhere to go up to!" :)

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-30-12/0922:56> »
Funny you mention that Wak.
Years ago I made a PC that used a persona fix BTL to make himself Brisco County Jr. Permanently, unfortunately, as the BTL was flawed and erased/overrode his original self leaving only "Brisco".  My GM was big into the chiptech, and being a bastard.....lol

Well, you have the option of the "Cowboy Up" line of XPF chips to choose from which can do similar.

MOre importantly, "Brisco" could always buy a new chip, now, and get a new persona. Might I interest you in a little Neil the Ork Barbarian, perhaps? :D

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #29 on: <07-30-12/1308:57> »
Here's an idea. Dreamchipper already happened back in the 2050s and the chips were DESTROYED by the team that ran it. Now, the evil corporation has a new CEO digging through old research files and discovered the old failed project. He decides to build new chips along those lines, simulating the most skilled people on the planet in their specialties crammed into a single chip! What if you could have the basketball skills of Michael Jordan, the Pistol skills of James Bond, the Athleticism of the latest nova-hot Olympics participant, and more on just ONE chip?

Insanity is still a side effect, now run with this idea and the chips get loose.

OTHER idea: The chips can hold magic skills! Any Awakened slothead that chips in can up their Magic skills in a flash! Of course, their Tradition just changed to match the twisted one in the chip....