NEWS

[SR5] Elven Shark Adept

• 63 Replies

Gryphynx (Sphynx)

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <11-07-13/1600:12> »
Oddly enough, I don't know any people that do Parkour who use Metaphysical powers to do so (and I know my share of Parkour runners).  Pretty sure that a Gymnastics of 5 is a top-tier Parkour runner (p 131), as is having an Agility of 5. 

However... you'll notice where I posted his future Karma Expenditures, that the first 13 karma he spends will give him a couple of the "super parkour" powers.  :P

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <11-07-13/1602:23> »
In Sr5 a top tier Parkour runner is probably up in the 9-11 skill range.

Parkour also involves Running, and their your character doesn't run very well.

Gryphynx (Sphynx)

• Chummer
« Reply #32 on: <11-07-13/1610:11> »
He runs very well, it's just not something he's very trained in (as is true of most Parkour runners).  We'll just disagree at what level modern day Parkour Runners's skills would be at.  I can't possibly agree with the 9 to 11 range....

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <11-07-13/1613:08> »
Like I said. GMs call.

The Smiling Bandit

• Newb
  • Ha! Ha! Ha!
« Reply #34 on: <11-08-13/1439:31> »

5 stat 5 skill is pretty skilled  Sr5 allows more granularity, but it's for obscene levels of exp, or things that are thousands of years old
Strikes again!

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <11-08-13/1449:31> »
Not according to the skill descriptions. 7 is only Veteran and 8 is Expert. 9 -10 (Exceptional and Elite respectively) are where the top tier of performers in a skill fall. Those aren't immortal elf numbers just, per the descriptions, where the cream of the profession falls.

5 is Skilled. Not good enough to do it for a living (6 is professional) but not really an amateur either. Think the contestants on that Parkour reality show or Ninja Warrior.

Gryphynx (Sphynx)

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <11-08-13/1512:10> »
Ok, but what's your point Crunch.  By your reasoning, the only Parkour Adept are ones that have Improved Ability.  We are talking CharGen here, and 5/5 is only barely lower than the maximum you can get.  To say that a Character in CharGen "hasn't taken anything like a parkour skill set" when he's 5/5, and "That'll depend on GM call what you can do with a Gymnastics of 5" to support your statement, you're obviously not talking about a character straight out of CharGen.  o.O

The Smiling Bandit

• Newb
  • Ha! Ha! Ha!
« Reply #37 on: <11-08-13/1517:10> »
Not according to the skill descriptions. 7 is only Veteran and 8 is Expert. 9 -10 (Exceptional and Elite respectively) are where the top tier of performers in a skill fall. Those aren't immortal elf numbers just, per the descriptions, where the cream of the profession falls.

5 is Skilled. Not good enough to do it for a living (6 is professional) but not really an amateur either. Think the contestants on that Parkour reality show or Ninja Warrior.

Actually, 4 is where people start doing things for a living. 5-6 are more high end, 7 is retirement level, 8-12 are crazy high. Going by the actual templates and npcs, not just what they tittled each level. A ten dice pool is obviously more than a hobbiest under most circumstances
Strikes again!

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <11-08-13/1543:37> »
The skill descriptions are pretty clear, but we can certainly just agree to differ.

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <11-08-13/1716:22> »

Hardly, 4 ranks in a skill is someone who can work professionally according to the skill descriptions. Parkour is a specialty of gymnastics. Ergo - 4 ranks in gymnastics = someone who could do parkour professionally.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <11-08-13/1724:34> »
That largely depends on how you read the skill descriptions. Here's 6.
You could easily sell your skills on the open market. This is the
maximum skill level for starting player characters.

And here's 4.

You’re comfortable with what you do and perform well under
normal pressures. Professional level for most jobs.

This is one of those cases where a lot of the real world to shadowrun translation will depend on what constitutes "normal pressure" or "most jobs."

For Gymnastics I tend to think that Parkour is a more advanced use of the skill, so I tend to go with the higher level.

For top tier (which I specified) 9 and up is pretty clearly where it's at (you can make an argument for 8 as well, but again I tend to think of Parkour as harder than most of the things covered under Gymnastics).

Your name is synonymous with the skill. If you have multiple
skills at this level, you’re lauded as exceptionally gifted.

None of which really matters since it's certainly up to the GM to determine how much you can do with what.

The Smiling Bandit

• Newb
  • Ha! Ha! Ha!
« Reply #41 on: <11-08-13/1904:14> »
Parkour has levels like anything else, actually... You start with simpler vaults and falls and work up. My point is 3-4 ranks is what most professionals have in modules, sixes being exceptional....mall cop is 2-3, lone star 4-5, swat 6, maybe 7. Yeah, the scale keeps going but only to account for, if not the harlequins, at least the Micheal Jordans...
Strikes again!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <11-08-13/1939:53> »
I guess it depends on what you think top tier means. Is top tier Michael Jordan or is it just professional ball player who gets a decent amount of game time.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <11-08-13/2008:14> »
I guess it depends on what you think top tier means. Is top tier Michael Jordan or is it just professional ball player who gets a decent amount of game time.

I'd put professional Basketball player at 6, NBA replacement level player at 7 and starter at 8-9 with Michael/Kobe/Lebron at 11+. Remember that the NBA is the creme de la creme of pro ball. There are 100s of players who are good enough to play pro ball (6) but not good enough to sniff time in the NBA.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <11-08-13/2023:10> »

I'd put professional Basketball player at 6, NBA replacement level player at 7 and starter at 8-9 with Michael/Kobe/Lebron at 11+. Remember that the NBA is the creme de la creme of pro ball. There are 100s of players who are good enough to play pro ball (6) but not good enough to sniff time in the NBA.

And here lies the problem. People far too often overinflate what a particular real life practitioner in a field would have mechanically as a skill rank.

Micheal Jordan under SR4 would probably have a 4 Athletics Skill group, whereas in SR5, he would probably have a 7 or an 8.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen