NEWS

Texas in SR5

• 45 Replies

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« Reply #30 on: <10-24-13/1345:33> »
These things don't have ot be exclusive...

Tir Tejas Y'all?

Hell no! Red Nek Elfs?! NOPE nope nope nope! and big bag of Nopes!
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #31 on: <10-24-13/1525:45> »
See, I can almost see the PCC giving it's half of Austin to the CAS.  Why?  To cool the anger of the crazy Texans.
Anyone who's willing to do business with the Azzies is not going to be afraid of a few irate rednecks, certainly not to the point of giving up bought and paid for land. Or However the Council acquired it.

RC, you obviously don't know Texans that well.  ;D

My friend's father, told me this story when I was a teenager, and I believe him.  Back in the 80's, the U.S. Army did a war game to see how far a communist military force could make it into Texas if it were invaded.  The idea was Cuban forces, supplanted by Russia, invaded Galveston Island and cam straight north towards Houston.  The war gamers concluded that the invading force, including tank units, would only make it half way to Houston before it was incapable of sustaining the invasion.  This was not due to the U.S. military stopping them, but due to civilians using their own resources.

In other words, these irate rednecks had enough guns, ammo, and explosives to stop anyone that pissed them off.   8)
And I'd still prefer to weather their wrath than that of Aztlan.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <10-24-13/1555:25> »
I went back and reread Stormfront, or at least the couple paragraphs regarding Texas (pg. 18 & 19).  No where does it specify what portions of Texas was given to the PCC, only that "Aztlan then sold large portions of Texas to the PCC."  Then it goes on to say that the move "created a buffer between them and a hostile foreign nation".  If you look at a map, you can't create a buffer between the CAS and Aztlan without giving up Austin... it is on the front lines otherwise.  To effectively create a buffer, they'd have to give away a significant portion of West Texas (not useless, there's good deer hunting there  :D ) and Central Texas, down to the Gulf Coast, or pretty close to it.

This is why I wish for a new map of North America, takes the speculation out of things if you want to stay canon.

And oil.  Deer hunting and oil.  Oh and natural gas.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <10-24-13/1600:35> »
This is why I wish for a new map of North America, takes the speculation out of things if you want to stay canon.

A new map would be nice, but what would be even better would be a dedicated Texas source book and another one for the rest of the CAS.  >:(
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <10-24-13/1602:41> »
Heck, I'd settle for a single book covering UCAS/CAS. I still have to rely heavily on the write ups from the Neo Anarchists Guide to North America  (Tandy Computers !?!?) when I run games in and around Texas.

Delta Vee

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <10-24-13/1613:23> »
I'd love to see more on Texas. Heck, I'd love to know why Houston gets so little of a mention (AresSpace is here...um...yeah...not a lot of hard info) in all the books. I get Austin getting a bit of a write up, and there is info on DFW, which sorta makes sense, but oddly enough, not much on Houston. Always seemed a little weird to me.

As to the the whole PCC thing, I can see them selling the other half of Austin back, probably when they vote, but for the rest, I figure they will try and keep it, at least until given sufficient motivation to sell it back. Realistically, considering that the Texan attitude probably won't change a lot between now and then, I can see the raids that used to be for annoying the Azzies getting back to going to harass the PCC.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #36 on: <10-24-13/1624:37> »
These things don't have ot be exclusive...

Tir Tejas Y'all?

"Do these shoes match my assault rifle? Or do they clash?"
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <10-24-13/1627:08> »
Heck, I'd settle for a single book covering UCAS/CAS. I still have to rely heavily on the write ups from the Neo Anarchists Guide to North America  (Tandy Computers !?!?) when I run games in and around Texas.

I'd love to see more on Texas. Heck, I'd love to know why Houston gets so little of a mention (AresSpace is here...um...yeah...not a lot of hard info) in all the books. I get Austin getting a bit of a write up, and there is info on DFW, which sorta makes sense, but oddly enough, not much on Houston. Always seemed a little weird to me.

While more information on the larger urban areas would be cool and all--which would likely be in a CAS general source book--only a dedicated Texas source book would give the kind of information I would want. For instance, I would want at least a modicum of detail on my area of the state, and it just isn't large enough to make the cut for the more general book.

Ideally, a general source book for the UCAS, one for the CAS, one for CalFree and one for the NAN with more specific sources for each state (nation for the NAN) would be the way to go. And these sources don't even have to be entirely "fluffy" either, as while the main "splats" would contain gear for more general usage, those sources could provide such that are more common in those areas.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <10-24-13/1640:06> »
I'd love it, but I'd settle for baby steps.

If we got a series of PDF exclusives like Montreal 2074 backed up by a series of regional PDF parazoology/parabotany books I'd but two a month.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <10-24-13/1932:32> »
I'd love it, but I'd settle for baby steps.

If we got a series of PDF exclusives like Montreal 2074 backed up by a series of regional PDF parazoology/parabotany books I'd but two a month.

A full publication would really be needed for the more general source books (probably around 100 to 200 pages). A PDF-only just doesn't have enough pages (usually) to get everything that would really be needed in there. Now, the more specialized follow-ups to them could be PDF-only, but with the kind of detail that really should be expected, it'd probably need to be at least a 30 to 40 page PDF.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <10-24-13/2137:57> »
Well we're not going to get that, and the perfect shouldn't be the enemy of the good. Over on the BT side they've done some massively good work with PDF exclusive source series (where each installment is $5 or so and smallish).

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #41 on: <10-25-13/1325:24> »
Hell no! Red Nek Elfs?! NOPE nope nope nope! and big bag of Nopes!
Come now, where's your sense of adventure...? (He asks this, knowing some of the characters in Father to Son....)
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #42 on: <10-25-13/1611:44> »
Heh. Reminds me of the time my school did a production of Midsummer Night's Eve, and Bottom and his crowd were all rednecks. Oddly enough, Shakespeare does really well in a pronounced southern drawl.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <10-25-13/1613:07> »
There's an old Prarie Home Companion in which Billy Bob Thornton does major parts of Macbeth.

I normally hate PHC, but that was worth a lot of pain.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <10-25-13/1852:01> »
I normally hate PHC, but that was worth a lot of pain.

What's it like not to have a soul?