NEWS

Texas in SR5

• 45 Replies

dmfubar

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <10-15-13/1224:36> »
Thank you Patrick, I didn't realize that.

...off to take a look!

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #16 on: <10-23-13/0613:04> »
See, I can almost see the PCC giving it's half of Austin to the CAS.  Why?  To cool the anger of the crazy Texans.
Anyone who's willing to do business with the Azzies is not going to be afraid of a few irate rednecks, certainly not to the point of giving up bought and paid for land. Or However the Council acquired it.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <10-23-13/1403:49> »
Patrick is definitely the go-to guy on Texas in SR, with Critias being a distant second. :)

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #18 on: <10-23-13/1536:22> »
I am? Good to know....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #19 on: <10-23-13/2329:00> »
I am? Good to know....

<stares at Patrick>

Well???

Spill the beans!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

dmfubar

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <10-24-13/1210:22> »
See, I can almost see the PCC giving it's half of Austin to the CAS.  Why?  To cool the anger of the crazy Texans.
Anyone who's willing to do business with the Azzies is not going to be afraid of a few irate rednecks, certainly not to the point of giving up bought and paid for land. Or However the Council acquired it.

RC, you obviously don't know Texans that well.  ;D

My friend's father, told me this story when I was a teenager, and I believe him.  Back in the 80's, the U.S. Army did a war game to see how far a communist military force could make it into Texas if it were invaded.  The idea was Cuban forces, supplanted by Russia, invaded Galveston Island and cam straight north towards Houston.  The war gamers concluded that the invading force, including tank units, would only make it half way to Houston before it was incapable of sustaining the invasion.  This was not due to the U.S. military stopping them, but due to civilians using their own resources.

In other words, these irate rednecks had enough guns, ammo, and explosives to stop anyone that pissed them off.   8)

May be true, may not be, but that does sum up the typical Texans belief right there.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <10-24-13/1213:35> »
That's almost certainly made up.

To be specific, there's no record of any excercise of the kind that I can find, and I checked the US Army War College, The US Combined Arms Center, and the Army's History website as well as a number of history databases.

« Last Edit: <10-24-13/1225:21> by Crunch »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #22 on: <10-24-13/1226:08> »
dmfubar, Ghost Dance says no.

Seriously, though, the PCC may later sell the Texas property to the CAS, but they won't just give it away.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <10-24-13/1231:16> »

My friend's father, told me this story when I was a teenager, and I believe him.  Back in the 80's, the U.S. Army did a war game to see how far a communist military force could make it into Texas if it were invaded.  The idea was Cuban forces, supplanted by Russia, invaded Galveston Island and cam straight north towards Houston.  The war gamers concluded that the invading force, including tank units, would only make it half way to Houston before it was incapable of sustaining the invasion.  This was not due to the U.S. military stopping them, but due to civilians using their own resources.

In other words, these irate rednecks had enough guns, ammo, and explosives to stop anyone that pissed them off.   8)

May be true, may not be, but that does sum up the typical Texans belief right there.

I think the sentiment here should indicate the accuracy of that story well enough.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« Reply #24 on: <10-24-13/1233:05> »

My granfather was Airforce General in the Venezuelan AirForce, my father is a retired Captain in the Venezuelan Army and one of my uncle is a retired "Cazador" Venezuelan Special Forces translation would be "Hunter" the Force was dissolved but they got confotantions with the FARC and other Guerrilla style paramilitary groups. And i personally have some friends in the National Guard, Army and Navy.

History from a friend in the Guard, an operative was started to enter the "Slums" (im not certain slums is the word, in Venezuela we call them "Barrios" and because they are on the mountains of  "El Avila" or its new/old name "Waraira Repano" they are pretty hard to enter, think of Brazilian Favelas) so they geared up for war, meaning granades, FAL rifle's, machine guns, full body armor and even a lightly armored heavy gunned APC, the result was catastrophic, the  Guard had to back down with fifteen loses to its personell as the whole place took up guns and started shooting at their direction, so don't understimate the danger that sheer stupidity, and firepower that a great deal of inexpirienced people can cause to an invading "army" specially if they have no Air support and/or satellite backup.
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <10-24-13/1239:22> »

My granfather was Airforce General in the Venezuelan AirForce, my father is a retired Captain in the Venezuelan Army and one of my uncle is a retired "Cazador" Venezuelan Special Forces translation would be "Hunter" the Force was dissolved but they got confotantions with the FARC and other Guerrilla style paramilitary groups. And i personally have some friends in the National Guard, Army and Navy.

History from a friend in the Guard, an operative was started to enter the "Slums" (im not certain slums is the word, in Venezuela we call them "Barrios" and because they are on the mountains of  "El Avila" or its new/old name "Waraira Repano" they are pretty hard to enter, think of Brazilian Favelas) so they geared up for war, meaning granades, FAL rifle's, machine guns, full body armor and even a lightly armored heavy gunned APC, the result was catastrophic, the  Guard had to back down with fifteen loses to its personell as the whole place took up guns and started shooting at their direction, so don't understimate the danger that sheer stupidity, and firepower that a great deal of inexpirienced people can cause to an invading "army" specially if they have no Air support and/or satellite backup.

Oh, I'm sure that some in the small towns here could give some problems to an invading force, but an organized and trained military only making it halfway from Galveston to Houston due to civilian armament is just ridiculous.

Trust me here, as I've been raised in Texas (in a small town) for the vast majority of my life.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <10-24-13/1240:57> »
Yep, among other problems with the story (general plausibility, convenience to an identity narrative, complete lack of documentary evidence) that's not typically how civilian insurgency works.

slipped

I'll never be one to question the effectiveness of non traditional military forces, but in this specific case (A Cuban invasion of Texas including support from the Soviets deterred entirely by armed civilians between Galveston and Houston in a US war game) I'd have to see some shred of evidence before I believe it. The record for unorganized civilians stopping armored columns with air and naval fire support on generally flat terrain is such that I have significant doubts.

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« Reply #27 on: <10-24-13/1245:14> »
@All4BigGuns: I will trust you, just don't break my heart! :P

Yep, among other problems with the story (general plausibility, convenience to an identity narrative, complete lack of documentary evidence) that's not typically how civilian insurgency works.

slipped

I'll never be one to question the effectiveness of non traditional military forces, but in this specific case (A Cuban invasion of Texas including support from the Soviets deterred entirely by armed civilians between Galveston and Houston in a US war game) I'd have to see some shred of evidence before I believe it. The record for unorganized civilians stopping armored columns with air and naval fire support on generally flat terrain is such that I have significant doubts.

I do give you that, if armor or air support is involved then civs won't be able to do much, not many are Tiannenmeng Square Hero's (or suicides depending on your point fo view). And its really hard to stop armor with civilian grade weapons... Altough i did read that in US is legal to buy an own a Rocket Launcher, not the rockets but the rocket launcher yes...
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #28 on: <10-24-13/1334:20> »
Patrick is definitely the go-to guy on Texas in SR, with Critias being a distant second. :)
No time for Texas, busy with elves!

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <10-24-13/1335:07> »
These things don't have ot be exclusive...

Tir Tejas Y'all?